How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze for Servicing (RMA)?
Jan 25, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #496 of 560
Failed the eighth time two weeks ago; just sent it in, not sure whether it's still under three-year period since last time. If it's $600 to get it fix, may call it a loss and run away. Audeze hasn't gotten back yet. I'm local/near Audeze so the turn-around times were pretty good. I can't imagine someone who lives oversea and has to deal with this.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #497 of 560
Failed the eighth time two weeks ago; just sent it in, not sure whether it's still under three-year period since last time. If it's $600 to get it fix, may call it a loss and run away. Audeze hasn't gotten back yet. I'm local/near Audeze so the turn-around times were pretty good. I can't imagine someone who lives oversea and has to deal with this.

Ah, the current record holder. :military_medal: I'm like you, I will keep getting them fixed as long as Audeze keeps paying for it, but after that probably not.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #499 of 560

Wow, still at it i see. And yes, being overseas was the killer for me. Dealing with customs and having the few times i had to pay for return shipping, was fast approaching the price of the actual headphone. And then being overseas the turn around was minimum 2 weeks. So mounting cost, frustration, and having to go without the cans for weeks at a time, every year. Had to call it quits. Was considering the LCD4 not that long ago, because i read all that issues should have been fixed, but alas, seems not.

My XC went in twice for driver replacement in past 1.5 years. Everyday i ask myself what should i do. I'm holding a lemon product and i have no clue when the drivers will act up. :frowning2:

I know the feeling, my 5th can, i babied that thing so much, was afraid to even headbang with the cans on lol. Always listening in fear and scrutiny of the cans failing. it was not a fun experience.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #500 of 560
My 3's failed once and it was overall a positive experience. It was at the 2 years 9 months mark, so just under warranty. Luckily my local dealer was able to perform the repair himself so I got them back 2 days later, and I got the improved 2016 drivers.
So in a way, it's a good thing they failed when they did! If it was out of warranty, different story.
I'm kinda hoping for them to fail again in 2 years (or else, never again. But who am I kidding...).

Another thing I don't see being mentioned anywhere - I just replaced the earpads because after 4 years the non-leather part that's glued to the wooden cups began tearing, causing the earpads to separate from the cups. And I babied those things...
Did anybody else have that experience?

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #501 of 560
I just replaced the earpads because after 4 years the non-leather part that's glued to the wooden cups began tearing, causing the earpads to separate from the cups. And I babied those things...

That just happened to a guy over on the LCD-X thread. As you mentioned, it's not the glue that fails, but the bottom layer of earpad separates from the rest of the earpad.

I needed to replace my earpads because I stupidly used an omega stand which flattened the earpads. Now I'm using the Woo Audio stand which works much better.

My experiences with Audeze repair have also been overall positive. However I presume my first out-of-warranty experience will not be nearly so positive.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #502 of 560
My 3's failed once and it was overall a positive experience. It was at the 2 years 9 months mark, so just under warranty. Luckily my local dealer was able to perform the repair himself so I got them back 2 days later, and I got the improved 2016 drivers.
So in a way, it's a good thing they failed when they did! If it was out of warranty, different story.
I'm kinda hoping for them to fail again in 2 years (or else, never again. But who am I kidding...).

Another thing I don't see being mentioned anywhere - I just replaced the earpads because after 4 years the non-leather part that's glued to the wooden cups began tearing, causing the earpads to separate from the cups. And I babied those things...

Yes, the first time i sent my XC in for driver failure, i have the same problem. It's less than one year and i have to replace the earpads. Luckily, it's still under warranty and i got it changed FOC. I have a huge shock to learn that the quality of earpads are super lousy on any comparison. My Sony MDR earpads have no problem for several years!!

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #503 of 560
I´m one who likes to buy used if good deal. It´s a pitty that these failures occur with plannars. I once owned a LCD2 but didnt had problems, but didnt used it too much either because of the weight.
But i´m wondering what kind of usage or amps people who experience repeated failures are using...?
This doesn´t happen randomly...
Plannars have very low resistance, so a high impadance amp may be not compatible, the same as with voltage. A great amp for Audeze would be a Violectric/ Lake People amp for example which adapts with the resistance of the HP. They don´t output full voltage right at the low impedances, but more around in the middle (300ohms).

I wanted to buy used an LCD3 but not to trustwordy, even though impedance is already 110ohms. Now i´m thinking getting the HD800S instead used which is around same price and has a darker signature too (not as dark as audeze house sound) , or the LCD2 Classic (new with warranty). Should have stayed at 599usd though.
I wonder how that one compares with the LCD3.

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #504 of 560
So the audeze warranty says its just for the original owner, is this accurate or will they warranty second hand buyers as well?

Also someone selling them says that Audeze replaced the drivers under warranty for channel imbalance which reinstates the three-year warranty. Is this accurate and the 3 year driver warranty starts over?

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #505 of 560
Yes, Audeze will honor the warranty for second-hand pairs, no need for the original receipt. Mine was bought second hand and Audeze had fixed numerous driver failures (serial number reflects the history of the set). You are getting a fresh three-year warranty on the replaced drivers.

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #506 of 560
Yes, Audeze will honor the warranty for second-hand pairs, no need for the original receipt. Mine was bought second hand and Audeze had fixed numerous driver failures (serial number reflects the history of the set). You are getting a fresh three-year warranty on the replaced drivers.

Thanks for the information. I think im gonna jump on them.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #507 of 560
Thanks for the information. I think im gonna jump on them.

You may want to ask for the serial number (if the owner is ok with it) and check with Audeze. A few years back, Audeze suffered a burglary and lost more than a few pairs. You'd want to make sure that your set is not in that lot (Audeze woudn't honor the warranty for these, I assume).

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #508 of 560
I just welcome myself to this club. is there an official broken driver group on here for this?
left side went silent today, tried change cable, left/right side cable, only right produce sound. both balanced and unbalanced. bought it used for one month and is in mint condition. contacted audeze to see if can get a warranty repair. originally purchased in mid 2016, made in june 2015.

this thread's been dead for a while. so everyone else phones area all good? I was a bit shocked but not so much since I was prepared for this after reading all the bad reviews still went on purchased used.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #509 of 560
I just welcome myself to this club. is there an official broken driver group on here for this?
left side went silent today, tried change cable, left/right side cable, only right produce sound. both balanced and unbalanced. bought it used for one month and is in mint condition. contacted audeze to see if can get a warranty repair. originally purchased in mid 2016, made in june 2015.

this thread's been dead for a while. so everyone else phones area all good? I was a bit shocked but not so much since I was prepared for this after reading all the bad reviews still went on purchased used.

Looks like you just missed the warranty, still it doesn't hurt to ask Audeze. They've been using a new tracking system so the last time my LCD3 broke they knew exactly when the previous repair had occurred, Thanks to the new system my LCD3 have continued to fail on a regular basis so no repair charge in spite of numerous failures.

I haven't been on the forum much lately, new job in a new town, but the last I heard was Audeze headphones were still failing at a much higher rate than other TOTL headphones. However there were fewer failures than before, and many owners have experienced no failures after years of ownership.

Let me know what they quote you to fix them, the price goes up every year. Personally I love the Audeze sound but would junk them if they failed out of warranty.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #510 of 560
I contacted the original dealer and they said they will try to get it send in for warranty repair. I just sent them the headphone this morning. We will see what happened. I'm the third owner, or 4th. From what I can see on the canuck audio mart. The dealer sold it in may 2016 and description say it's customer trade in for lcd 4. Then another guy bought it for 1400. Used for a few months. Sold to another guy for 1300 then used for 2 years. I bought from him for 1250.all in Canadian dollars. Could have offered a bit less I saw it on Kijiji first and got him to send it for 50 extra. He actually post for 1200. Anyways those are the price. It's in excellent condition and come with the nice wood piano finish case. I used for 1 month then this happened. He is lucky to sell it off early. The original dealer is authorized dealer. Hopefully works out. Very nice people take my case and said will sort it out all I need to pay is shipping from them to the repair place. Someone told me to make sure ask for both driver replacement just in case.

So warranty start from production date? It's first sold in 2016 so not 3 years yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back