How many of you prefer listening with cans over speakers?
Mar 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

russdenney

Head-Fier
I am curious if there is a significant portion of this community that prefer a listening experience with a good set of cans versus regular loud speakers.

Any of you?

Russ

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 50
I use headphones over speakers like 90% of the time.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 50
  I assume that is due to preference and not necessity?

What is it about the headphone experience you prefer?

My $500 headphones have more clarity then my $170 studio monitors.
Also using closed headphones really helps block outside noise.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 50

My $500 headphones have more clarity then my $170 studio monitors.
Also using closed headphones really helps block outside noise.

Interesting.

Do you think your ratio of headphone/loudspeaker listening would be the same if you had a pair of $1000 home speakers (assuming they are of higher quality than your existing pair).

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 50
I am definitely more of a speaker guy.

Admittedly though my Denon AH-D5000's are far more visceral than any speaker i've heard...
But I think high end headphones can out-perform most speakers in this regard.

Nothing beats the physical feel of the bass frequencies generated by subwoofers/speakers IMO...

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 50
I think my speakers sound better than my headphone setup but the wife yells at me most of the time when I want to listen to them.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 50
I agree with the comments thus far for most.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800S (arguably upper end cans) and a pair of Polk LSiM703 bookshelf speakers with a separate 10" subwoofer (arguably middle of the road speakers). I am driving them both with a Marantz Reference series PM-11S3 2 channel integrated amp (middle to upper end amp)

Despite having spent nearly as much on my headphones as my home speakers, I can't bring myself to feel I get more out of the cans. I believe it is impossible to spatially replicate home loudspeakers and; thus, no headphone at any price can do what even "okay" home speakers do.

I even tried a pair of HiFiMan HE-1000 and had the same results. Yes, this is an apple to oranges comparison between a headphone and loudspeaker, I know. I am just curious how narrow the gap can be between cans and loudspeakers.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 50
  Interesting.

Do you think your ratio of headphone/loudspeaker listening would be the same if you had a pair of $1000 home speakers (assuming they are of higher quality than your existing pair).

I'm around people somewhat, so I can't have the studio monitors very loud,(no matter how good the quality of my studio monitors are).

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 50
Polk LSi15's here pre out's of a Denon AVR and powered by a Adcom GFA-555 for two channel setup. Still sounds better than my Ether-C's out of a QP1R even though I love it. Apples and oranges your right.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 50

I'm around people somewhat, so I can't have the studio monitors very loud,(no matter how good the quality of my studio monitors are).

I can crank up my Carvin X-100B with 4X12's and my Tele and I can play louder than I want to without the cops being called. The wife might break out a gun though. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 50
  I can crank up my Carvin X-100B with 4X12's and my Tele and I can play louder than I want to without the cops being called. The wife might break out a gun though. 

Your wife has a gun, I like her :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back