How long do you think the Orpheus will continue to reign as the ultimate flagship?
Jan 20, 2005 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Iron_Dreamer

Sponsor: Audeze
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
Say what you will about various offerings from other companies, the Orphues is still the rarest, most expensive, most opulent, mystical, almost mythical headphone out there. How long do you think it will be before some company puts together an offering out there that tops it as the world's most "OMG" inducing headphone?

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 25
It's a headphone system and it's unusual to make a whole system. Electrostatics being them, of course Stax has to have some. Does Audio Technica has amp for L3000 or is that a separate one?

But as a headphone alone, the Qualia has surpassed it in resolution and realism to me.

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's a headphone system and it's unusual to make a whole system. Electrostatics being them, of course Stax has to have some. Does Audio Technica has amp for L3000 or is that a separate one?

But as a headphone alone, the Qualia has surpassed it in resolution and realism to me.

Audio Technica has an amp designed to work it's best when paired up with the L3000, it's the DHA3000. The DHA3000 is sold seperately.

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 25
Qualia@50hours + DAC1 (as amp) sounded better than HE90 + Blue Hawaii to me (in many, but not all, respects) when I compared them about a month ago.

Qualia (mature) + ideal amp (to be determined) is better than Orpheus, I'd guess.

Balanced version of above probably makes Orpheus sound like a tin can with a string tied to it (a very musical sounding one, though)!

In my opinion only, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 25
1 Stax has not outdone the Orpheus already??

2 What's a Qualia??

Laz

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 25
In A-B comparisons with reference-quality recordings on a $4000 CDP in a dead silent room, I liked the HD650s with cardas through a blockhead significantly more than the Orpheus. The HD600 comes really close, but the tone on the Orpheus is a little better.

The Orpheus has an ever so slightly artificial overtone series in the high end which sounds weird and drives me insane. Other than that and its light bass it's a really nice headphone.

Obviously I believe a better headphone has already been released. The main reason Sennheiser doesn't make this headphone is because you can buy their top dynamic model and get an even better sound imho.

The HD650s driven with equipment costing more than a small car are a totally new beast capable of killing electrostats in A-B comparisons. My setup needs not apply to this status level.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 25
Obviously, my tastes are as esoteric as anyone's, and various other people will definitely prefer other dynamic phones. The R-10 is a phone I'd like to hear some time, along with the Qualia.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 25
Guys, Come on! How can you think this headphone will be the "ultimate flagship" for another 20+ years. You couldn't even to begin to imagine the technology 20 years from now.

Let's put it this way. 20 years from now the Orpehus will be selling for close to $75.
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]unless it becomes an antique... Haha[/size]

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short
What's a Qualia??

Qualia:

An alien being shaped like a headphone that has recently been sort of taking over here at head-fi. From what I have read, the blue Qualia's are the dominant 'sex' while the red Qualias are more common. This is most likely to facilitate quick breeding.

The Qualia overlord landed in Italy a few months ago in its 'RP010' spaceship where it has been corrupting a local that lives there secluded in a church. They have since been sited all over America and seem to go after the wealthy.
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 25
I wasn't really intending this as a poll of whether you thought a better headphone will come along (or already exists), rather how long it will take for a product as over-the-top and attention grabbing as the Orpehus comes along. Though some might think the HD650 sounds better, I don't see how it could be considered more mythical or "wow" as a commodity.

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
Guys, Come on! How can you think this headphone will be the "ultimate flagship" for another 20+ years. You couldn't even to begin to imagine the technology 20 years from now.

Let's put it this way. 20 years from now the Orpehus will be selling for close to $75.
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]unless it becomes an antique... Haha[/size]

Well, considering that most of the current top-tier phones were made long long ago, and some are actually more expensive now . . .

I'm pretty sure there was someone who thought exactly what you did 10 or 20 years ago. If so, he'd have been dead wrong. =)

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 25
I question if it will ever truly happen, but the optimist in me voted for an Orpheus-slayer to emerge within 5-10 years. Think about it: The R10 was released in 1988 and many still consider it the best dynamic ever made (if not the best headphone, period)! This is nearly a 20-year-old headphone design! The K1000 is many folks' favorite and it also was released in 1988! The HP-1000 was released in 1991 and many people consider that their reference headphone. The Orpheus was released in 1993 and it has dominated for over a decade (IMO, of course). Sure the SR-007 is better in some ways, as are the Qualia and even HD650. However, to me the Orpheus is the best system because it's the best blend of musicality and transparency - nothing sounds as cohesive, balanced and simply MUSICAL to my ears. Here is a chronological list of some headphone milestones:

1. Stax SR-Lambda Signature 1987
2. Sony MDR-R10 1988
3. AKG K 1000 1988
4. Grado Labs HP-1000 1991
5. Stax SR-Omega 1993
6. Sennheiser HE 90 Orpheus 1993
7. Sennheiser HD 580 1994
8. Grado Labs RS-1 1995
9. Stax SR-007 Omega II 1997
10. Audio-Technica ATH-W2002 2002
11. Beyerdynamic DT 880 2003
12. Sennheiser HD 650 2003
13. Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 2003
14. Grado Labs PS-1 Pro 2004
15. Sony Qualia 010 2004

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 25
I, too, like the premise of the original question much more than the discussion of which is "best" today. The Orpheus "system" was an over-the-top, exotic design that has not yet been matched in terms of cosmetics, allure, and rarity. It sounds pretty good too
orphsmile.gif
!!!

I voted 3-5 years instead of 5-10 because I think headphones will be getting a lot more attention in the high end audio circles during the next couple of years. There may even be an Orpheus II on the way from Sennheiser, who knows? (I've heard rumors.) Plus, there are a zillion exotic looking and extremely expensive full range speakers (along with all sorts of esoteric preamps and amps to drive them) available today. Manufacturers want to develop flagship products that draw attention to the rest of their line. As the high end headphone market opens up further, it won't take long for well known audio manufacturers (who are not currently in the headphone market) to see the potential it offers. There many companies that are capable of doing it, it's just that none of them have because they haven't seen the market potential yet. That is to say, I personally don't think that the next revolution in the headphone market will come from the current crop of headphone manufacturers.

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I, too, like the premise of the original question much more than the discussion of which is "best" today. The Orpheus "system" was an over-the-top, exotic design that has not yet been matched in terms of cosmetics, allure, and rarity. It sounds pretty good too
orphsmile.gif
!!!

I voted 3-5 years instead of 5-10 because I think headphones will be getting a lot more attention in the high end audio circles during the next couple of years. There may even be an Orpheus II on the way from Sennheiser, who knows? (I've heard rumors.) Plus, there are a zillion exotic looking and extremely expensive full range speakers (along with all sorts of esoteric preamps and amps to drive them) available today. Manufacturers want to develop flagship products that draw attention to the rest of their line. As the high end headphone market opens up further, it won't take long for well known audio manufacturers (who are not currently in the headphone market) to see the potential it offers. There many companies that are capable of doing it, it's just that none of them have because they haven't seen the market potential yet. That is to say, I personally don't think that the next revolution in the headphone market will come from the current crop of headphone manufacturers.

This is exactly what I was getting at when I thought of this poll, though I think it might take a few more years than that, maybe we'll have it by the end of the decade, at best, as it's just been sooo long since a new company entered the headphone game (as opposed to amps/etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back