How Head-fi has helped you on your audiophile journey
Oct 22, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #16 of 35
I have loved headphones ever since I heard good ones in the mid 1970s. In 2007 I saw some I liked but found Head-Fi during the reasearch process.

My first thought was wow, a group only dedicated to headphones? My second thought was, this is a detailed hobby, these guys are into it?

I have not only learned a lot about equipment but learned about music too.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #17 of 35
I found out about the SR80i and HFI580 here on headfi. The grado modding threads have also been useful and interesting.

I don't put too much weight on reviews that I find here but they're still fun to read especially if the impressions tally with mine.

:)

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #18 of 35
Lurked for about a month in Spring of 13, joined in April. Was looking for reviews on 'budget' headphones with better than average SQ. Was turned onto the Koss PortaPro...

90 headphones/IEMs ranging in price from $7 to $500 later, here I am. Don't get me started on how many times I've re-ripped my CD collection...

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #19 of 35
  Lurked for about a month in Spring of 13, joined in April. Was looking for reviews on 'budget' headphones with better than average SQ. Was turned onto the Koss PortaPro...

90 headphones/IEMs ranging in price from $7 to $500 later, here I am. Don't get me started on how many times I've re-ripped my CD collection...

O schiit I've been her a little over two years almost three cool!

How I got here... hmm lemmie go get my first post xD 

BWAH I couldn't find it BOO

anyways, Dub Step is what got me here actually, Dub Step and Three pairs of Broken Sony MDR V150 Headphones, I wanted two things out of my next pair of headphones. 
1. MOAR BASS
2. DONT BREAK

I got the Sony XB 700, and here I am now with a LA D5k that costs like 10x as much as my XB 700 did back in the day <3

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 35
  O schiit I've been her a little over two years almost three cool!

How I got here... hmm lemmie go get my first post xD 

BWAH I couldn't find it BOO

anyways, Dub Step is what got me here actually, Dub Step and Three pairs of Broken Sony MDR V150 Headphones, I wanted two things out of my next pair of headphones. 
1. MOAR BASS
2. DONT BREAK

I got the Sony XB 700, and here I am now with a LA D5k that costs like 10x as much as my XB 700 did back in the day <3

Ha bro. We both started with the "MORE BASS!!!" craze. Still a basshead, but I'm now looking for more quality than quantity. I already have the cans to fulfil the quantity part. I'm also just going into more general audiophile territory these days.

It's been a nice few years. Wonder how things will be like a few years from now. Poor wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #21 of 35

Ha bro. We both started with the "MORE BASS!!!" craze. Still a basshead, but I'm now looking for more quality than quantity. I already have the cans to fulfil the quantity part. I'm also just going into more general audiophile territory these days.

It's been a nice few years. Wonder how things will be like a few years from now. Poor wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Yea n we joined around the same ish time [like 4 months apart, close enough yea]

Sadly for me though, the XB 700 amped out of my E11 Stage 2 was like the most bass I ever Enjoyed, I think its like +30 or something crazy, from there I could only go down lol. It was Video Game OSTS and Jazz that got me into audiophile territory! At the time I was battleing between MOAR BASS with the XB 1000 or Moar EVERYTHING else with the DT 880 

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #22 of 35
I understand how bassheads feel about their preferred sound, but i can't help but like a neutral sound signature. Maybe that is because I listen to piano pieces often.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #23 of 35
I understand how bassheads feel about their preferred sound, but i can't help but like a neutral sound signature. Maybe that is because I listen to piano pieces often.

I used to be a basshead myself, loving that visceral pounding and all that. That was until I heard the B&O H6 ( a mid-centric can) and was changed forever. Over this journey that's reaching two years in a few months, I still haven't found that eargasmic signature I've longed for since that moment so long ago. I still love some pounding bass for my electro cravings, but for everything else, I still really can't find that one sound. 

I could still remember that time I auditioned the H6 for the first time. Angels were calling out to me as I listened, until I looked at the price tag. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #24 of 35
  I used to be a basshead myself, loving that visceral pounding and all that. That was until I heard the B&O H6 ( a mid-centric can) and was changed forever. Over this journey that's reaching two years in a few months, I still haven't found that eargasmic signature I've longed for since that moment so long ago. I still love some pounding bass for my electro cravings, but for everything else, I still really can't find that one sound. 

I could still remember that time I auditioned the H6 for the first time. Angels were calling out to me as I listened, until I looked at the price tag. 

And that's exactly what did it for me, I was listening to non bass heavy genres and I knew something was missing... [can you say mids xD] 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #25 of 35
That's the thing. As we listen here, folks go from v-shape to a flat signature preference as they learn to listen over the years. Maybe not perfectly-perfectly flat but more in that direction.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #27 of 35
That's the thing. As we listen here, folks go from v-shape to a flat signature preference as they learn to listen over the years. Maybe not perfectly-perfectly flat but more in that direction.

I agree, in all honestly I love my HE 4 and it's linear bass <3 

In terms of sound its perfecto for me! Just need to get an HE 560 to get a touch less distortion and a little better mirco Detail other than that though, I loves mah HE 4 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #28 of 35
HFI-580, v-shaped: for edm, movies. VSD3S, flatter but still v-shaped: for casual listening, commuting, gym. SR80i, mids and highs emphasis: rock, metal, acoustic, anything to do with guitars.

Headfi has taught me that one is never enough

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #29 of 35
HFI-580, v-shaped: for edm, movies. VSD3S, flatter but still v-shaped: for casual listening, commuting, gym. SR80i, mids and highs emphasis: rock, metal, acoustic, anything to do with guitars.

Headfi has taught me that one is never enough

Oh gawd kid, I hear you. I've got 5 Headphones atm...  2 Full Sized Closed Backs for Critcal Listening on the go, 2 Portable open backs for casuall listening on the go, and one Full Sized Open back when I'm at home 

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #30 of 35
^yeah my friends think I am obsessed with pointless stuff.

Don't worry, I know people obsessed with pointless stuff (well, from my POV!)
Like ummm,
Golf. (What!!)
Hockey
Snowmobiles
Pickup trucks
I know two people who hoard junk!, LOL! :D

Head Fi is Cool, a community of like minded obsessives! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back