How does IE800 sound compared to custom IEMs ?
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dsadsa123321

New Head-Fier
Hey guys i'm new to here,

i own a pair of TF10 and ortofon e-q5 and my source is ipod classic 160g with corda 3move.

recently considering for an upgrade.

I wonder how IE800 sounds compared to some custom IEMs, such as JH13/16 or 1964?

And finally, do you think IE800 is worth the price?

thanks~

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 13
From what I've read (I don't own any myself), IE800 is bassier than JH13, probably on par with JH16. Can't comment on the sound qualities.
It's probably worth it since you can get it for $750. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 13
I've never heard customs but I've had some modified "universal/customs" - the 1plus2 and fitear 334. I preferred the Senn IE800 to both of those. but just barely. 

I loooove the mids and clarity of the IE800. Mids are great. The IE800 have a big subbass boost that some people do not like but I think it's great because 1) it doesn't bleed into the midbass and doesn't muddy up the mids or make lighter instrumental stuff sound overly thick or warm 2) when a song really calls for some head thumping bass, this IEM can bring it. 

The IE800  doesn't have the wide soundstage of the 1plus2, but it has a less V-shaped FR than the 1plus2 and I prefer that. The fitear 334 is warmer overall as it has a bit of a midbass hump but has less overall bass impact than the IE800. I can see how someone would prefer either of those two TOTL IEMs (which have been compared extensively to universals) but I think the IE800 are more to my taste. The fact that they're tiny and light is also a plus for me.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 13
With the introduction of higher end TOTL, it's time to rethink about the usability of customs.

Customs which I believe, is introduced to allow musicians on stage to hear themselves in those noisy environments.
But consumers who moves up the IEM chain find themselves at the customs stage for the very accurate and precise sound.
Thus most head fiers here owns a pair of customs if they have invested enough.

That said, I've seen people moving from customs to these TOTL universals. End of the day, ask yourself what you will be using them for, have you taken into account, in the event you use a customs that u might need to take in and out ur customs constantly?

I've felt most TOTL customs to have much more bass to still allow musicians hear the bass even when environment is really noisy.
My ie800 served me well, but the cable design is something u might want to consider.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 13
Ask Astralstorm, he has customs and the ie800. I remember he has a high opinion of the sound, but also comments on the cable and other issues. A good person to talk to about it.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 13
A few people prefer the Kaede to the IE800. Check the thread here. The reason I mention that is perhaps the Kaede's sibling the Kuro might also be something to consider. Quite a significant saving in cost. But of course that depends on your preference for sound. What do you like? More bass? Soundstage etc? I love the bass on the 1Plus2 but of course can't compare to the IE800 to help you out. The IE8s from memory but not the IE800.

I would check that thread and check people's profiles and see if you can send guys who own the TF10 and possibly one or two of your potential IEMs a PM. Head-fi is very helpful in that sense. Plethora of great info just waiting to be discovered. Good luck in your search. Ask as much as possible - there are no stupid questions here. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I think the IE800 is great on all counts except for the boosted mid bass which is too fatiguing. I prefer Miracles, se5, 1plus2 and Kaede over ie800, but prefer ie800 over tg334

There's hardly any midbass at all to my ears, which accounts for the very clear mids.
Mostly are just sub-bass, which on my DAP, I've -3db on the 100hz region, makes it a lot more balanced sounding.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Then I will send my ears for RMA.

Hahas.

I was able to say it's sub-bass because I've spent 4 years with my IE8, which has a mid-bass bloat. Of which, I've tried using silver cables to clear up the mids.

While both IE8 and 800s are bassy, they're coming from different frequencies. I guess everyone hears things differently.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I had them on a loan for 1 month and just listened for a bit as I found the thump too fatiguing. And I had always thought this thump was mid bass and the rumble was deep bass...but I am not an expert...anyways...too bassy for my ears but awesome otherwise.

That still could be mid bass. Also if your finding the 334 to be worse in this regards I would think it is indeed mid bass as the 334s have an excessive amount of mid bass combined with the slow decay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back