How do you resist the urge to buy another pair/new gear and be content with what you own?
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #16 of 54
@LucasKA, I'd like to suggest an alternative way of looking at the hobby: try not to think about buying gear as a default hobbyist state that must be curbed, but rather as a specific action that requires having made a choice, and then acting upon that choice. If/when you do that, your focus will shift from why shouldn't I buy this towards why should I buy this, at which point that potential purchase would require at least some modicum of hard justification.

Once you get used to doing that, you'll develop a habit of - not only buying less gear, less frequently - but also buying better quality gear in general... since said unit must pass your ever increasingly discerning gauntlet of standards over time.

Personally, I never buy anything that I haven't heard, preferably in/on my rig(s). If the subjective enjoyment (or lack thereof) of any piece of kit is the measure by which I should judge said gear, and I believe that it is, then it behooves me to experience said gear before adopting it.

I realize that it can be easy, and indeed great fun, to get wrapped up in the natural enthusiasm/exuberance of our community. And like many of you, I value the impressions and advice of my fellow members in this community. But their opinions influence my auditioning priorities, and not my purchasing decisions, which I will make only AFTER I have heard the gear for myself.

In following the above, I have cultivated a very specific perspective over time. Being mortal, my time on Earth is finite, and only a fraction of it can be spent listening to music. Naturally then, my time is precious to me. And so I must ask: Is this piece of gear - above and beyond what I already have, or above and beyond something else I could get - is it WORTHY of my time? More often than not, the answer is no, and the problem of over-acquisition takes care of itself rather elegantly.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #19 of 54
Been in the hobby since 2012, spent 5-years here straight running Australian tours and writting reviews, I was in deep with purchases and spent most of my time online here. As the prices increased I realised how silly its getting and made an exit for many years You really need to cut ties with the audio forums completely, this should prevent most impulse and random purchases, but even when I left full-time I never left audio completely, I tinker in the used market but have cut down a large amount.

As for the gear aspect, stop buying heaps of budget / mid-stream stuff, save, buy big once or twice to really satisfy your urges, this will keep you overall purchases down providing you're happy with the sound.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #20 of 54
Or... find some great budget-fi gear (there is LOTS of it out there), close your Head-Fi account and call it day. Nothing to see here. We'd all be better off listening and learning about MUSIC. Saving 'big' once or twice is just pissing money away.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #21 of 54
my recommendation, don't depend on shuffling up product lines. try stuff after that and compare, eventually you realize the cost of diminishing returns and you'll be happy. Don't cheap out on a music server would be my last suggestion, everything else will sound better

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #23 of 54
Find another hobby to spend money on. I am selling a set right now because I was obsessed with getting a new set, and have listed to about an hour in the last 6 months. But is sure looks pretty.

Good idea. I’m going to sink some money into KAWS vinyls instead.

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #25 of 54
When you're new to the hobby, I can see that people would like to explore and experience everything. I'm one of those people that's been in the hobby awhile, and the interest after awhile dwindles once you try enough gear. It all becomes a bit 'samey' after awhile. And then you got the exuberantly expensive stuff, and see that they are not worth the budget. In the end, the prices of high end gear just doesn't worth it. New stuff comes out that's not really anything really new, and the interest just degrades. There's a lot of redundancy with only cosmetic changes, and I only care about the sound. I really don't care for how things look that will go on my head for listening.

What would be much interesting for me at this point is expensive headphone dying and headphones becomes more affordable.

The reason why I don't find high fidelity audio worth it is because the interest in the sound quality of a particular gear dies after a short period. People usually look for new gear, but I've been in this hobby enough to try enough gear that I probably won't run into anything new in terms of fidelity. People tend to sell their gear and go onto something different. So, the gear doesn't really last all that long, and considering that, the really expensive stuff just doesn't seem worth it due to this.

What would make sense for me at the point is just listen to the gear for a bout a week/month or so until the interest dies, and swap it out with something different. Rental makes more sense to me. At this point, I'm sure I heard it all, so that fire is not there anymore.

I'm one of those people that spending exuberant amount on high-end gear is not worth it because I will get bored of it fast. I would rather invest in something that lasts. So, it seems most reasonable the prices should be much lower.

At this point, it makes most sense for me to try out new gear at an audio store just for novelty sake. Makes no sense to spend lots of money on it.

To put it simply, there's nothing new for me.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #27 of 54
Hi everyone! Just want to surf up to thank you for your thoughts and ideas...I had been busy working away which had become a good distraction from reading reviews and obsessed over certain gear...

I think part of this hobby is about trying new things, its like going to an ice cream vendor and wanting to try all the different flavours (headphone, strange analogy I know), I am now pretty happy with what I got in terms of headphones...I would love to hear the sound of Fostex TH900, Final Audio 8000, Ether Flow Close, but at the same time there is no rush as there will be 2nd hand items.

I was diving deep into the forum and reading articles back in 2015, and back then everyone is

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 54
As for the gear aspect, stop buying heaps of budget / mid-stream stuff, save, buy big once or twice to really satisfy your urges, this will keep you overall purchases down providing you're happy with the sound
I agree here, and Iike to add:

If anything tempts you, goto any lengths to hear it first, before you buy. Goto a store or a show.

Realize that just because something is rated to be better, it doesn't mean that you will like the tonality or synergy with your other gear. So it may not be better, for you.

Most of the time, a used top-tier piece of gear, no matter how old, will still remain better, or at least "on-par" with most all new mid-tier gear.

Trim down your headphone collection to "best in category", instead of redundant gear.
For example, one open headphone, one closed, one portable, one IEM.

Then Realize you can substitute the IEM for any closed headphone.

Then Realize you can substitute whole desktop $$$ setups for a more simple mobile solution, with a top-tier DAP.
Gone is all the computer & whole desktop gear issues which confine you to one area.

Save, buy big, then look down at the sea of gear that you will know will always be tempting, but is not going to get you any better than where you are.

This has been how I navigated where I am at now, although I still already wasted much time and much $$$ on all type gear.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 54
How do I resist? I'll let you know when I find out
How do I stop buying gear? When I run out of money for food and actual space for new gear in my room. I counted once and I had 6 or 7 headphone amps on my nightstand. That's when it was time to get rid of some

Oct 9, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 54
I've enjoyed widening out my range of options. But there are a few pieces of good gear that I use most often. Strangely enough not all of those are expensive
Hi everyone! Just want to surf up to thank you for your thoughts and ideas...I had been busy working away which had become a good distraction from reading reviews and obsessed over certain gear...

I think part of this hobby is about trying new things, its like going to an ice cream vendor and wanting to try all the different flavours (headphone, strange analogy I know), I am now pretty happy with what I got in terms of headphones...I would love to hear the sound of Fostex TH900, Final Audio 8000, Ether Flow Close, but at the same time there is no rush as there will be 2nd hand items.

I was diving deep into the forum and reading articles back in 2015, and back then everyone is

There is something to be said for listening to music you are familiar with through different gear. Details you missed become more apparent (or hidden). It can be like hearing the difference between a studio album, live recording or another artist's cover version. I find the ice cream analogy interesting. Like ice cream, listening to metal shelled IEMs in cold weather can make your ears cold and uncomfortable! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back