How do you Listen?
Feb 25, 2017 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked some brains a while back on another forum pertaining to speakers, so thought I'd do the same here but focus more on headphone users...

I'm curious as to how you guys listen to music. Do you listen primarily when you're doing something else, such as driving or working? Do you dedicate time to get comfortable and do nothing BUT listen while doing nothing else? Do you mainly listen while you're surfing on the web? While you're gaming? 

I'm asking because I often find that it's hard to just have dedicated listening sessions. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's almost like my eyes need to be engaged in addition to my ears. So sometimes hearing about the habits of others can be both interesting and helpful, because just like with reading, I really WANT to be able to have longer and more frequent listening sessions. I often find that I'll go for something visual, such as youtube or a movie before I'll do a dedicated listening session. Given how much $$ I've put into this hobby, though, it's something I'd like to spend more time with, especially since I love music. 

I never thought I'd care to join one, but I've noticed that I listen quite a bit more now that I'm a Deezer subscriber. I was only interested in a lossless service, but Tidal just seemed to always rub me the wrong way...but once I found Deezer I fell in love. I really enjoy being able to search out different music - often times it's music that is recommended or discussed on sites like head-fi - and knowing that it's going to sound great. 

Anyway, I'd love to hear back from you guys about your own listening habits if you care to share :)  

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 7
Generally speaking, with headphones on and eyes closed or, if it's night time, in a pitch black room 
bigsmile_face.gif
 For me, listening to music is as immersive as watching a film. If you're doing something else in the background, you're not really giving it your full attention and not getting the most from the experience. If you don't often have dedicated listening sessions, I'd recommend giving it a go from time to time.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 7
  Generally speaking, with headphones on and eyes closed or, if it's night time, in a pitch black room 
bigsmile_face.gif
 For me, listening to music is as immersive as watching a film. If you're doing something else in the background, you're not really giving it your full attention and not getting the most from the experience. If you don't often have dedicated listening sessions, I'd recommend giving it a go from time to time.

I'm envious of that! Definitely gotta work on it. I think Im going to move my headphone rig to the bedside...that way I can lay back and enjoy the music in comfort. I think maybe that's partly why I struggle a bit at times. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 7
DAP / IEMs on train commuting 1.5-2 hours daily (semi critical listening)
Headphones in easy chair with eyes shut or watching a sporting event 1-3 hours daily (critical listening)
Desk top speaker system in office with volume low while working.  5-7 hours daily (back ground noise / semi critical listening)

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Home listening in the cave:  I used to have all my gear near my desk and so the naturally tendency is to surf the web while listening.  Now I have my rig located away from the desk and next to a recliner.  Best times for me to listen are right before bed or early morning.  Lean back in recliner and listen.  Eyes usually closed and 50% of time fall asleep listening to music.  On occasion, read news apps on phone or tablet while listening.  

Work and yard work:  bluetooth or wired IEMs.  Not critical listening, but still enjoyable.  Eyes usually open. 

Moving the rig away from the computer and having a recliner has really made listening even more enjoyable.  

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 7
  DAP / IEMs on train commuting 1.5-2 hours daily (semi critical listening)
Headphones in easy chair with eyes shut or watching a sporting event 1-3 hours daily (critical listening)
Desk top speaker system in office with volume low while working.  5-7 hours daily (back ground noise / semi critical listening)

That's actually a great idea...listening while watching a sporting event. See, this is why I ask you guys...GENIUS!!

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 7
  Home listening in the cave:  I used to have all my gear near my desk and so the naturally tendency is to surf the web while listening.  Now I have my rig located away from the desk and next to a recliner.  Best times for me to listen are right before bed or early morning.  Lean back in recliner and listen.  Eyes usually closed and 50% of time fall asleep listening to music.  On occasion, read news apps on phone or tablet while listening.  

Work and yard work:  bluetooth or wired IEMs.  Not critical listening, but still enjoyable.  Eyes usually open. 

Moving the rig away from the computer and having a recliner has really made listening even more enjoyable.  

That's what kept happening to me when I listened while laying in bed...I'd doze off lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back