how do you deal with work stress?
Jul 28, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I've mentioned this a few times but I'm working in a fairly mindless IT job this summer. In just one month I'll be back at school but every day I am finding less and less motivation to get my ass to work and do my job. It's a full time 40 hour a week 9-5 job so I spend a lot of time there. Any suggestions for either ways to get myself less bummed about going to work or things to do after work to take my mind off things? how do you guys deal with your work stress? or if I'm being a huge baby and I should just suck it up and deal feel free to let me know that too. It's what I've been trying to do pretty much since I got there.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quit. Change of career. You are going to work most of your life so you may as well love what you do. Try getting paid for a hobby, thats always a good start.

hehe already on it, once I grab 4 more paychecks I am out of there. I'm just looking for something to keep me from going crazy until then.

edit: wasn't paying attention, it's 1 more month not 3 weeks.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 101
i'm leaning toward huge baby. 40 hrs per week would be a dream job. i do those hours in 3 days sometimes.

as for stress, that is what headphones/music is for.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 101
Have you first identified what the problem is? Is it just too difficult or easy/repetitive? Is the workload not quite what you expected? Is it a difficult colleague or manager? Or are you just unmotivated? Try talking with your manager or HR about this and see if they can give you something different to keep you going. It's in their best interest to ensure their staff are motivated and working efficiently.

Cheers!

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm leaning toward huge baby. 40 hrs per week would be a dream job. i do those hours in 3 days sometimes.

I barely do 40 hours of real work a year, in my eyes he/she is a real trooper! You sir, on the other hand might be a workaholic, I wish I had your motivation and/or prescription drugs.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 101
Do something physical afterwards. The gym is always a great stress reliever, it gets the blood pumping and you leave feel beat but happier...Rock Climbing Gym, Pilates, Yoga, this will help you keep your sanity.

Try taking pdf books if your job is mindless (I read that as having alot of down time, correct me if I'm wrong).

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2

Sometimes, I'll do around 30 just over a weekend. I might be switching to government work next year - I'd like a little more free time.

I completely agree with the music recommendation, too. That's a big reason I've sunk some money into the rig and have been growing my music collection.

Look into taking up a hobby or interest. If you've ever thought about building an amp, go for it. Or anything else, for that matter. Being able to leave the workplace behind and focus on something entirely different clears your mind and you will feel better afterward. You can do the same thing by becoming a runner or bicyclist, taking up a foreign language, night classes, or many other things.

Personally, I like DIY. My job is one where you're never quite sure if you're finished - you can always put another hour or two into a project. Even after you spend hours and hours on something, a settlement or other negotiation will send your work to the filing cabinets, never to be used. That's frustrating. Drilling holes in aluminum and soldering in caps and resistors has a definite beginning and end. You know when you're done. And it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I can methodically work through the circuit and find out where I screwed up. That's rewarding for me.

Do you have a pet? Having a cat or dog around dramatically reduces stress. I like cats, so I keep a couple of them around. Just brushing them out is relaxing and I like it when one of them crashes on my lap. That doesn't usually take much encouragement, either.

Also - and I hesitate to mention this - after long nights, I usually drop in at one of several bars on the way home. I typically cut myself off at one beer, but having a cold one out on the patio is very relaxing. There's usually someone around to make small talk with or I'll browse the Internet on the phone. Getting drunk doesn't help (it makes things worse) but one drink is enough to take the edge off. It won't get you arrested or leave you in bad shape for the next day.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 101
One month is NOTHING to just tough it out. You can do it. My bet is that there are things you could do to keep yourself busy - even if it is just mindless intern work.

- Organize the junk heap that *every* IT department has - sort the stuff that should be in the next donation drop from the stuff that may actually be reissued.
- Create an applications repository that has all the install disk images. Make sure it uses a strict folder naming convention that categorizes the products and the versions of each product, and has the key files labeled in a consistent way.
- Volunteer to do an asset inventory of all the IT assets throughout the building. Build a spreadsheet that lists the asset tag number, location, brand, model #, responsible party, etc.
- Reconcile the asset inventory against a fixed asset report you get from the Accounting dept. Identify any items that have been fully depreciated, and also items that are still being depreciated that are no longer in service.
- Visit each of the executive admins and ask them if everything is OK with their computers, or if there is something they've just been living with. I am absolutely positive ALL of them will have something that's bugging them...
- Are you sure EVERY help desk has been closed? Really? Even the ones that were forwarded over to the jerk network security guys that treat you like dirt?
- Does your boss have the capability to generate reports on the support desk tickets? If he can, does he look at them? How about generating a report of the tickets you have seen during your internship, including some recommendations on ways to reduce the incidence of the top 5 types of tickets?

Can you tell I've managed a few interns in the last 25 years?
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO "self-direction" is a HUGE positive trait in an employee - it is one of the things that separates the employees I fight to keep from those that I offer up when budgets get whacked. Bottom line: Don't tell your boss you have nothing to do, ask your boss if it's OK if you start working on X.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 101
Work stress is always a guaranteed side-effect, even if you love your job, and I can't remember the last time I only worked 40 hours Relief: good friends, planned evenings out on occasion, daily dose of music, and getting to the gym helps. I boxed for the first time yesterday. That felt great. No more stress after that.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 101
thanks guys! lots of responses, I want to get to all of these

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you first identified what the problem is? Is it just too difficult or easy/repetitive? Is the workload not quite what you expected? Is it a difficult colleague or manager? Or are you just unmotivated? Try talking with your manager or HR about this and see if they can give you something different to keep you going. It's in their best interest to ensure their staff are motivated and working efficiently.

Cheers!

my main problem is my boss, I'm convinced he hired me back this summer (I was there last summer) because I got a clearance that isn't easy to get and if he tried hiring another assistant they could be tied up in the system for up to 2 years! I'm not sure if this is what's known as being passive aggressive (I should look it up) but he'll say something he means that isn't he nicest but acts like it's a joke. He cracks jokes about me not doing enough work when he admits he doesn't give me enough work to do. Just today he had a meeting to go to so I asked him what he wanted me to work on... he literally said "hang tight until I get back, I'll give you something when I'm done with the meeting" he was in his meeting for over an hour. I mean it gave me a little time to update my blog and do some reading but that's not why I'm there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWiseman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do something physical afterwards. The gym is always a great stress reliever, it gets the blood pumping and you leave feel beat but happier...Rock Climbing Gym, Pilates, Yoga, this will help you keep your sanity.

Try taking pdf books if your job is mindless (I read that as having alot of down time, correct me if I'm wrong).

The gym is a good idea, I use to go but once I fell out of that routine it was hard to get back into it

I started stephen hawking's a brief history of time today while my boss was in his meeting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

Sometimes, I'll do around 30 just over a weekend. I might be switching to government work next year - I'd like a little more free time.

I completely agree with the music recommendation, too. That's a big reason I've sunk some money into the rig and have been growing my music collection.

Look into taking up a hobby or interest. If you've ever thought about building an amp, go for it. Or anything else, for that matter. Being able to leave the workplace behind and focus on something entirely different clears your mind and you will feel better afterward. You can do the same thing by becoming a runner or bicyclist, taking up a foreign language, night classes, or many other things.

Personally, I like DIY. My job is one where you're never quite sure if you're finished - you can always put another hour or two into a project. Even after you spend hours and hours on something, a settlement or other negotiation will send your work to the filing cabinets, never to be used. That's frustrating. Drilling holes in aluminum and soldering in caps and resistors has a definite beginning and end. You know when you're done. And it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I can methodically work through the circuit and find out where I screwed up. That's rewarding for me.

Do you have a pet? Having a cat or dog around dramatically reduces stress. I like cats, so I keep a couple of them around. Just brushing them out is relaxing and I like it when one of them crashes on my lap. That doesn't usually take much encouragement, either.

Also - and I hesitate to mention this - after long nights, I usually drop in at one of several bars on the way home. I typically cut myself off at one beer, but having a cold one out on the patio is very relaxing. There's usually someone around to make small talk with or I'll browse the Internet on the phone. Getting drunk doesn't help (it makes things worse) but one drink is enough to take the edge off. It won't get you arrested or leave you in bad shape for the next day.

I recently started organizing my work for next semester and prepping a few journals I'm going to need to start keeping. Also started my new blog and started writing what I'm calling my book of books. My book of books is basically going to be notes and essays about books I'm reading, all personal books but I have a total goldfish memory unless I write things down and sometimes I find myself reading books twice because I forget a lot of stuff.
redface.gif

We've got a family doggie but he mainly follows my mom around, I have two sea snails but they're not very cuddly, they mostly like to keep to themselves. They do take some stress off though, it's nice to have something to take care of. I also have a decently large plant collection in my room that I take care of and breed.

Unfortunately to your last suggestion I'm still 20 although that does sound like a good idea
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One month is NOTHING to just tough it out. You can do it. My bet is that there are things you could do to keep yourself busy - even if it is just mindless intern work.

- Organize the junk heap that *every* IT department has - sort the stuff that should be in the next donation drop from the stuff that may actually be reissued.
- Create an applications repository that has all the install disk images. Make sure it uses a strict folder naming convention that categorizes the products and the versions of each product, and has the key files labeled in a consistent way.
- Volunteer to do an asset inventory of all the IT assets throughout the building. Build a spreadsheet that lists the asset tag number, location, brand, model #, responsible party, etc.
- Reconcile the asset inventory against a fixed asset report you get from the Accounting dept. Identify any items that have been fully depreciated, and also items that are still being depreciated that are no longer in service.
- Visit each of the executive admins and ask them if everything is OK with their computers, or if there is something they've just been living with. I am absolutely positive ALL of them will have something that's bugging them...
- Are you sure EVERY help desk has been closed? Really? Even the ones that were forwarded over to the jerk network security guys that treat you like dirt?
- Does your boss have the capability to generate reports on the support desk tickets? If he can, does he look at them? How about generating a report of the tickets you have seen during your internship, including some recommendations on ways to reduce the incidence of the top 5 types of tickets?

Can you tell I've managed a few interns in the last 25 years?
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO "self-direction" is a HUGE positive trait in an employee - it is one of the things that separates the employees I fight to keep from those that I offer up when budgets get whacked. Bottom line: Don't tell your boss you have nothing to do, ask your boss if it's OK if you start working on X.
wink.gif

you're going to be shocked but... we don't have a junk pile, we have an organized junk cabinet.

we also have not only an organized set of application install disks but every machine in the company has it's own folder containing all it's original disks, all backups, special software and all paperwork used while it was being worked on in our IT room.

I did asset inventory last summer, there is a map of both floors of the office listing every machine, data port, phone line, printer, fax machine, pretty much anything that matters to our department. Along with this list is a list of every user linked to the machine # they use which is edited as computers are swapped out.

I am currently in the process of rechecking my maps and making sure every machine is where it belongs along with listing all the software on it and anything that shouldn't be there.

I spent my day today taking a look at every old machine we have sitting in the IT room and making note of their asset #, OS, HDD size, amount of RAM and processor. Not only making a list but sticky notes that are going right on the unused machines.

Visiting all the top execs is a great idea, I am going to do that tomorrow
icon10.gif
I know for a fact the head of the company has been hanging on to his old dying machine out of fear of change and he's definitely having issues.

My boss handles a decent amount of the help tickets himself, when he has one he wants me to work on he prints it and gives it to me. Once I finish the task I file it away in my desk. I'll have to ask him about the top 5 problems tomorrow and see if I can do anything

edit: oops, missed that last part: I never tell my boss I have nothing to do I'm always asking him for work. Half the time he says just sit there a little while while I do this. I think I'm just going to stop asking and start doing stuff

*deep breath* that is a long post!

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 101
Quote:

edit: oops, missed that last part: I never tell my boss I have nothing to do I'm always asking him for work. Half the time he says just sit there a little while while I do this. I think I'm just going to stop asking and start doing stuff

Exactly - that's my point - if you *ask* for work, you are making him think of something for you to do. Instead, *you* think of what to do and then present him with options. Remember this phrase, it will serve you well in dealing with all your future managers: "Don't bring me problems, bring me options."
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly - that's my point - if you *ask* for work, you are making him think of something for you to do. Instead, *you* think of what to do and then present him with options. Remember this phrase, it will serve you well in dealing with all your future managers: "Don't bring me problems, bring me options."
smily_headphones1.gif

That is great! I feel so bad because I'm usually like that but I just can't get myself motivated here, but.. excuses are useless, especially in situations like this.

I just remembered I'm leaving work 3 and a half hours early tomorrow for a doctors appointment (need a physical for my hospital volunteer work next semester) which has just taken a massive weight off my chest for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back