How do you deal with the changing seasons, physically?
Oct 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Personally, I love fall and winter because everything cools down, the plants go dormant (fall allergies ended officially today for me because we got a stiff frost last night), and everything's just generally more pleasant. Unfortunately, I also run into two extremely irritating problems which only seem to be getting worse as I grow up: my hands, and more importantly, my eyes, dry up.

Yup, today I took my bottle of Equate artificial tears and slapped it in my pocket (cold drops suck!), because it's going to be a long winter, and if I want to see, I have to head straight for the bathroom once I get inside the building my class is in and drop in some eye drops so I can see during class. For years, I watched my grampa on my mom's side put eye drops in his eyes during the winter and thought he was nuts, and then about two years ago, the same exact thing started happening to me, and now I need to put them in all the time.

Anyone else get this? Otherwise, I love winter! Put on a coat and enjoy the weather.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 32
I get more depressed during the winter, just something about dead white ice fairies.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 32
I have some problems dealing with the winter!
It usually set in around this time in late October and last until mid March. The lack of daylight have the biggest impact on me, as at winter solstice (December 21th) we have less than 6 hours daylight. Sun up around 9:20am and down around 3:15pm...
The cold weather do not help either.

The spring, summer and fall is beautiful though. Sunlight 19-20 hours a day, relative warm around 25-30C, ...

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 32
I get rather depressed during autumn, its wet and dark but particularly the wetness is annoying. Winter doesnt help much because winter around Pori SUCKS. Its again wet and dark mainly. Truly cold, bright and white snowy weeks, which cheer me up, are surprisingly rare, thanks to climate change and overall closeness to ocean I guess. I think I should move towards inland where there are better winters.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 32
I've always loved the nighttime in the winter (with snow and such). Nothing beats long walks, even by yourself. It's so tranquil.

Plus, the cold doesn't bother me one bit, and I *love* snow. Ironically, there are absolutely no winter sports I play, which is probably the only downer I can think of. And needing to wear more than shorts and a tshirt, but that's just laziness kicking in...

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 32
I'm a summer soul but I love all of them. I have been where seasons are consistent like Hawaii, San Diego, Fairbanks, Costa Rica, etc. and I've found it strange not having the change of seasons. Especially thunderstorms and color change, snow fall and first blooms.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 32
I really like the autumn. Lots of cold, fresh air when outside, and good to be inside firing up when the wind and frozen rain sets in.

I sleep much better too, when the room is cold, but hate getting out of a warm bed in the morning when its all cold and dark... brrrrrr...

And I am also constantly tired the first months in the autumn from all the darkness and little daylight until I sort of get used to it.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 32
curl into fetal postition and rock back and forth.

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 32
The fall is my favorite time of year; I just love the changing of the leaves and the crisp air and whatnot...not to mention the pumpkin beers! Next would probably be winter, followed by spring then summer. I'd rather be cold than hot but that's probably because I grew up in New England so I'm used to it.
biggrin.gif

My hands get really dry and my skin cracks in the winter which sucks, but what really sucks is my face also gets dry... mainly around my upper lip. It sucks to have to wake up in the morning and crawl out of bed with dry skin, what am I a lizard?
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back