How do the RKV MkII compare to other similar priced tube amps?
Apr 16, 2004 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been wondering this for a while. I can get the RKV from Jan Meier for abour $1000, wich I think is ok for such a beautiful amp (my favourite) Anyway. How does it compare to other tube amps, there are litteraly tons of em', the MPX-3, PPX-3, MG Head OTL 32, list gones on forever. How does it compare to them? I really like tube sound now that I've finished my amp but just as I got it working, I wanted more. So, how does it compare to these other amps? Im currently using Sennheiser HD600, wich I will stay with untill they break because I just love them, and besides, they look better than the HD650's!
evil_smiley.gif

Any opinions/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 18
It is my understanding from reading similar threads that the MPX3 and Supra's sound is completely based upon the tubes installed. The RKV mk.II is said to have a "house" sound that may or may not appeal to you. I feel that construction-wise the SinglePower offerings may be superior.

Trevor

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 18
Mindless,

now that you have a DIY tube amp forget for a while about other means of amplifing the sound. I would strongly suggest you to purchase a good source before jumping on any of the 1k amps.

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 18
The singlepower ppx3 is half the cost of the RKV and has a warm powerful sound thats both dynamic and easy to listen to. The singlepower ppx3 will drive high or low impedence headphones very well and sounds particularly good with my senn 650's. I also have a singlepower mpx3 and that amp is slightly cheaper than the RKV and sounds great even with the stock EH tubes. With the stock tubes the mpx3 has an open airy sound thats more neutral and refined than the ppx3. Moreover, the mpx3 is also brighter and more resolving than the ppx3 with a more extended bass; again using the senn 650's. The mpx3 will drive any headphone except the AKG K1000's just like the ppx3. For pure musicality I like the ppx3. For a more complete and resolving presentation go with the mpx3.

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 18
The RKV is uses a DC servo-control mechanism to control the sound of its tubes. It's OTL, but the heavy use of feedback doesn't let it soar the way a no-feedback design can. Other people would describe this as rolled off highs
wink.gif
. It's a great amp, and possibly the best driver for the AKG K-1000 I've heard. Also good with Sennheisers, but there's better at the price point these days. You'll need an impedance matcher to try Grado's, Sony's, Audio Technica's, etc.

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 18
I personally haven't had an urge to upgrade the amp section since I purchased the RKV. I suggest you to read Kelly's review if you haven't done so. This amp is notorious for its low-end definition,extension and texture. It has a tiny roll-off in the top end and the midrange, as well as the overall sound representation, falls somewhere between two extremes associated with solid state and tube amps. In other words, the sound is neither too dry and uncolored as it is with some solid state amps(i.e PPA), nor is it too lush and warm (i.e Earmax Pro, Cary CAD) - it's just right. I personally haven't done any tube rolling, but the general consensus is that the amp's biasing circuit and a number of design specifics do not permit adequate and anticipated changes when switching tubes, as it happens with some other tube amps, Singlepower units being among them. The RKV is powerful enough to drive efficient speakers (>91 dB) through the Impedanzer. In some cases you might need the Impedanzer to match the amp with a number of low impedance cans. However, last time I tried CD3k and R10 through the RKV in Grado Labs I didn't think there was a need for one ( keep in mind that there usually is a lot of background noise at the meet so there is a possibility I didn't hear the hissing that others have reported). The top end roll-off and decent power reserve favors coupling the amp with the AKG K1000, creating on of the best combos out there. Same principle works for the HD600 and a third party cable, be it Cardas, Zu or Moon Audio's Silver Dragon. The amp is nicely built , the only downside I could find is the need of cleaning or just replacing the volume pot after some use and the fact that the RCA inputs are a little too close to each other.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 18
If you need a futher compatability w/ K1000, ASL MG Head OTL32 may be the ticket. I'm currently using OTL32 w/ HD650/HD600 and CD3K. As far as I can tell, there is no problem with driving low impedance cans. With a little bit of tube rolling, you can find a combo that will give you full bass/treble with near zero hiss. Hint: RCA cleartops, Amperex or Tungsram
wink.gif

This thing can drive HD600 MUCH louder than the opamp based Corda HA-1 (even when OTL32 is at a low gain position). Not to mention, it can tame CD3K's high/forwardness. Of course, it cannot beat RKV's fit and finish... but not bad for only about half the price of RKV. Of course your milage may vary.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 18
I feel that a year or two ago this amp was simply incredible. It has since been overtaken by at least four other amps receiving many more accolades and attention. It is time for a serious overhaul of this amp, and a lowering of its price by a good 30% to make it competitive again.

All IMHO.

Apr 17, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 18
Doug,
I'll have to disagree with you on that one for a number of reasons. I think newer doesn't mean better and at this price level the changes are more or less sideways than towards perfection. This amps is in production for over 13 years with no major changes - that's gotta tell you something already. Another thing is unfavorable EUR/USD exchange rate - the amp used to go for 850-900$ at most and that was less than 2 years ago.

Apr 17, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 18
ManiacSmile,

You don't have to agree with me. I don't mind at all. I am of a different opinion, that's all. I owned this amp for a while, and as such have a few reasons for my opinion. They are:

1. Somewhat bloated bass.
2. Rolled-off highs.
3. Loss of details.
4. Sound is fixed, no toberolling to change the sound.
5. $200 Impedanzer needed for low Z cans.

With the SinglePower line-up of amps you avoid all the above in one fell swoop. With these three factors now in mind I would buy just about any other amp in existence other than the RKV. Other than for the K1000s, I would avoid this amp like the plague now.

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
ManiacSmile,

You don't have to agree with me. I don't mind at all. I am of a different opinion, that's all. I owned this amp for a while, and as such have a few reasons for my opinion. They are:

1. Somewhat bloated bass.
2. Rolled-off highs.
3. Loss of details.
4. Sound is fixed, no toberolling to change the sound.
5. $200 Impedanzer needed for low Z cans.

With the SinglePower line-up of amps you avoid all the above in one fell swoop. With these three factors now in mind I would buy just about any other amp in existence other than the RKV. Other than for the K1000s, I would avoid this amp like the plague now.

Actually you were one of the few people who's responses made me buy the amp. Grinch and Kelly were the other two. We agree to disagree
tongue.gif
. Partially because of what Mikhail told me about the amp, partialy of what I heard myself I think the Singlepower line up is a better match for the Sony cans than Sennheiser.
1. Bass - I do think it could use some tweaking (power conditioning?) but in my system, to my ears ..blah blah blah it's almost as good as it gets
2. Agree, but that shouldn't be perceived as an issue. I think it's good for component matching
3. You think it's because of the #2 ?
4. Not sure if that's a bad thing 8)
5. Agree to some extent, as I yet have to hear the hiss.

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 18
ManiacSmile,

That's cool. As long as you're happy with this amp, I'm happy for you! Mindless can take all our opinions in mind, and than make a decision for himself. I really don't mind if anyone else likes the amp, nor do I care if someone hates it either. I gave my opinion on how it sounded in my system for the time I owned it, and that's that. I have no emotional attachment to my opinion, nor to the amp, so I'm fine either way.
wink.gif
I have no bias for/against the amp, and you'll notice I never once called it a bad amp. I feel it is bested by the recent crop of other amps out there, and that is just one idiots's opinion that carries no more weight than anyone elses.

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 18
LOL! It's so interesting to read how you both actually agree on the objective observations re: the RKV, but only differ on your own opinions of each of those observations. I happen to agree with both of you.

The RKV is a wonderful amp when matched with the right associated components (what isn't, right?). When Jan had it on special last year for ~US$900 with the Impedancer, it was a great deal. Now at it's new, regular price (exchange rates be darned!), I agree it is not the value it once was. Before when it was a few hundred $ from the OTL32, I would have recommended the RKV, but now the ASL amp is less than half the current RKV+Impedancer price. Same for the wonderful Singlepower amp lineup, where you can pick from the PPX3 or MPX3 and still come in under the price of the RKV. The other really nice thing about Mikhail's amps is that you can have him customize the model of your choice to add other features so that yours is truly unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back