How do I share files between two computers?
Dec 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a laptop I bring home from work that I want share files with. This laptop belongs on a Domain and I don't want to change that. My home computer is just in a workgroup.

How can I get the two to see each other on my home network so I can browse and sync files?

I am thinking either FTP or VPN maybe? FTP requires having a copy of the file locally before I can access it. Sometimes I just want to use the file over network and not have to copy it over first.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 11
For IBM platform, the easiest way I've ever seen is to get one of these.

The Tornado File Transfer Micro Computer - Computers - Electronics - The Shopping Channel

I watched it being demoed late one night a couple of weeks ago and it seemed amazing. You simply pull the two retracted usb cords from each end of the unit and plug one into each computer. A microprocessor inside the unit looks after everything else and you wind up with both computer's directories showing on both computers. (screen gets split in half horizontally with one computer's directory on top and the other on the bottom. Then you just drag and drop files between computers. At least it looked easy on TV.

But if you're looking to sync files I think you have to network both computers together through windows making one the host and the other the remote ??. I've never done it.

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 11
I am using WinXP and the telnet idea sounds interesting. Tell me more. What do I need to setup computers? Is this going to be a server/client access? Or just peer-peer?

I don't want to install software on the laptop if I don't have to. That's why I was thinking about FTP or VPN (I have vpn Cisco VPN client on the laptop).

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Open a share on your non-domain workstation, then you can browse to that from your domained laptop (via Entire Network or IP address) with no problem. Give the share read/write access and off you go. Going via IP addresses is the simplest way. If both computers are connected to the same network okay, just go to start -> run and type "\\nondomainPCIPAddress".

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Thats good advice, and there of course is the usb port to usb storage device(my 8gb walkman) then remove and plug walkman in the other computer.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open a share on your non-domain workstation, then you can browse to that from your domained laptop (via Entire Network or IP address) with no problem. Give the share read/write access and off you go. Going via IP addresses is the simplest way. If both computers are connected to the same network okay, just go to start -> run and type "\\nondomainPCIPAddress".

I have been having problems browsing the computers on the home network. However I didn't have shares on either computer enabled. But I thought I would at least see the computers being in the Network Neighbourhood.

I guess I will have to enable share on my PC and try again on the Laptop.

If this works then I won't need anything else and I think it will. Thanks for the help.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 11
I thought I answered this, but I do not see my reply in here.

Orb is the answer to your problem. It is free and it is easy to setup. It can share any file on your computer as long as you give it access. It is very easy to use and you can access your stuff on the web with your username and password.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 11
havent read the replies here, here is how I do: enable sharing on the disk/drive (by right click properties...). map that as a network drive on the pc from which you want to access it. for example map Y to \\192.168.1.2\DATA1 (F)

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For IBM platform, the easiest way I've ever seen is to get one of these.
The Tornado File Transfer Micro Computer - Computers - Electronics - The Shopping Channel

If you have Vista, you may want to hold off on the Tornado. I read in Maximum PC that some people were having issues while using Vista, it was only transferring part of the file and quitting. Otherwise it sounds like an amazing device that we could really use at the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back