How do I connect an iPad with USB-C connector to an iFi micro iDSD BL?
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

swcng2001

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have had an iFI micro iDSD BL for a number of years and just got a new iPad Pro which has a USB-C port. I have been trying to find out what kind of cable I should get to connect them. I want to be able to play red book standard which I ripped and other higher sampling rate files, including DSD, stored on my iPad. Some say that a USB-C to female USB-A will do, whilst some insist that I need the Apple Lightning to Camera adaptor and a Lightning to USB-C adapter or cable for it to work. I am confused. I want to be certain of the choice as I believe that the wrong cable will mean high sampling rate & DSD files cannot be played.

iFi has an OTG cable with a USB-C connector, will this work? I am not too certain what the OTG cable will do to an iPad as I believe its used in the Windows and Android eco system but has never been a requirement for Apple products.

It would not be necessary to be able to charge the iFi at the same time as its battery has enough charge to work off line for many hours.

Any help from anyone who has it working will be appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Get a FIIO CL06

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 7
I don’t have this amp unit but do have a ipad. On my iPad and W2 the charging cord for the iPad was able to pass signal to the w2 dac. I would try this with a usb a to c adapter if you have one. If that work then other otg usb a to usb c cables should work.
Sorry I couldn’t help more my best suggestion would be PM message @Sebastien Chiu he’s expert on thing related to iF products. He be able to give you the correct answer.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-JXMOX-Charger-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B092JNHDSB/ref=sr_1_24?crid=3U2J1DEFXQ53U&keywords=usb+a+to+c+adapter&qid=1651258955&s=electronics&sprefix=USB+a+to+c+,electronics,110&sr=1-24

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 7
wrong cable will mean high sampling rate & DSD files cannot be played.
The wrong cable means you won't hear anything at all.

Camara kit: iPhones need it as the DAC draws to much current. Don't know if this apply to a iPad
OTG: Android phone only because this will trigger host mode needed to drive a DAC
I expect a A to C cable to do the job

May 1, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 7
I bought a USB-C to female USB-A adapter from Amazon and made the connection using iFi's M-F USB-A cable that came with the iDSD. It all works perfectly.

By the way, I am using the KaiserTone app on my iPad. It seems to have everything I need and plays any hi res format including DSD over PCM depending, of course, on the capability of the DAC.

May 1, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back