How about a pic of your stereo/home theater rig?
May 26, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #121 of 207
Here's an update on my totally ghetto looking system that still cost way more than I ever should have spent...

stereo%20setup%205-25-04.jpg

Speakers are NHT Pro A-10, my cd player is sitting on my A-10 power amp, my wooAudio-I is in the middle, to the left is a JMT built meta42. The black thing my left speaker is sitting on under the cinder block is my subwoofer, close to 3 feet tall, over 100 lbs with the amp, and nothing compared to any of gerG's
tongue.gif

May 26, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #122 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandasonic
nice setup D-EJ915, what kind of speakers are those?

They're the ones from my Sharp NX10 system, not really anything to talk about.

bhd812...nice TV, I've got the same one
biggrin.gif

I'll have to post pictures of my new speakers+subwoofer that I built...I think they look pretty nice for plain MDF.

May 26, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #123 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
They're the ones from my Sharp NX10 system, not really anything to talk about.

bhd812...nice TV, I've got the same one
biggrin.gif

I'll have to post pictures of my new speakers+subwoofer that I built...I think they look pretty nice for plain MDF.

Absolutely, keep 'em coming!! ooheadsoo, yours pic is up!!
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #125 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
ipodstudio....thanks for reviving the thread!

I am forever at your service, soundboy!..
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #126 of 207
C'mon D-EJ915, we're waiting for pics of your babies!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #127 of 207
Here's my setup:
Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player
Sony VCR
Sony MDS-JE320 MD recorder/player
Yamaha CDC-505 5-cd carousel
Harman Kardon AVR-10 (used as a remote pre-amp)
NAD PE2200 amp
TNT Audio Triple-T speaker wires
DIY Cat-5e IC's

not pictured:
Harman Kardon HKB-6 bookshelf speakers (just got them and am waiting until I get the wall mounting brackets I ordered for them before I set them up)

I had a pair of Adire Audio KIT281's (TL design) and a pair of their HE-10.1's that I built but neither set fit in our new place so the 281's got sold and the 10.1's are in temp storage.

Flexy-002.jpg

May 27, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #128 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Here's my setup:
Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player
Sony VCR
Sony MDS-JE320 MD recorder/player
Yamaha CDC-505 5-cd carousel
Harman Kardon AVR-10 (used as a remote pre-amp)
NAD PE2200 amp
TNT Audio Triple-T speaker wires
DIY Cat-5e IC's

not pictured:
Harman Kardon HKB-6 bookshelf speakers (just got them and am waiting until I get the wall mounting brackets I ordered for them before I set them up)

I had a pair of Adire Audio KIT281's (TL design) and a pair of their HE-10.1's that I built but neither set fit in our new place so the 281's got sold and the 10.1's are in temp storage.

Flexy-002.jpg

Gotcha!!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #129 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Flexy-002.jpg

Jose Perez,
Nice audio rack! Did you DIY? If so, good job.

What are those long threaded pieces originally intended for?
280smile.gif

May 27, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #130 of 207
Yes I built it myself based on a design over on tnt-audio.com called the "flexy"

Its originally a single tower design but someone got the idea to double it up and I copied that idea with a few changes to make it my own.

The threaded rods are just that, threaded rods. The run about $7-9 apiece and can be found in the hardware section of your local Home Depot. The ones I used were 3/4" diameter and 3' long. The most expensive part of the whole thing was the hardware. The nuts, rods, washers, and such ran me over $100 (I could have saved myself a ton by purchasing online at www.mcmaster.com but too late now). Anyways the shelves themselves are painted 3/4" MDF with a simple 1/4" deep x 3/4" wide rabbet run around the outsides and slotted into some 3/4" thick red oak which I cut a 1/4" wide 3/4" deep stopped dado into and inserted the MDF. Black paint on the MDF, some stain on the oak, and a coat of spray on polyurethane covers everything. The whole thing assembles pretty easily and it looks pretty decent IMO. Was a pretty fun project that I built during the Spring semester last year. I do little projects like this as a distractor to keep my mind from being overwhelmed with classwork. Some people need to focus all the time, but I need to send my mind elsewhere for a while.

Thanks for the compliments. Always feels good to hear nice things about something you built with your own hands.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #132 of 207
Very cool! Good job on the boxes...I couldn't do that myself with my woodshop skills and tools. Now let us in on the design! 2 full range drivers per box? What made you decide to go with 2 drivers instead of a point source? Btw, my personal experience with using books to prop up speakers is, "don't ever ever ever do it." If you scroll over to my pic, you can see where I used to have books under my left speaker and it destroyed the soundstage and made everything muddy.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #133 of 207
Quote:

"don't ever ever ever do it."

YES!!...but for now, they'll have to stay...lol...and I have bottle-caps to angle them
biggrin.gif

Quote:

What made you decide to go with 2 drivers instead of a point source?

I figured I'd have a larger sweet spot with them...I dunno, they have a "15W" power handling...soo...I dunno, they look cooler.

When I was building them, I kept getting phase-cancellation and I was like UGH!!...for some reason, even though I swapped cables and stuff (within speakers...redoing them every time) they wouldn't be fixed...and so I was just like...UGH...and then they worked...whoo, I was scared that it was going to be dead forever...
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #134 of 207
Nice speakers, D-EJ915!!...though the last image provided just a little more info than I needed...
lach_3.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #135 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Nice speakers, D-EJ915!!...though the last image provided just a little more info than I needed...
lach_3.gif

thanks guys
biggrin.gif
...I probably should've surface-mounted the drivers, but they were my first project so I didn't want to screw them up...oh, my leg...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back