Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I've modded an Audigy 2 before and it would be exactly the same. Definately try it and tell us how it goes!

Oooh fun. I have an Audigy 2 ZS as well. Maybe I could mod that? Maybe not. I have no DIY skillz at all. I have used a soldering iron before, but only at school for little projects. How easy is it to perform these mods?

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh fun. I have an Audigy 2 ZS as well. Maybe I could mod that? Maybe not. I have no DIY skillz at all. I have used a soldering iron before, but only at school for little projects. How easy is it to perform these mods?

in my experience soldering things is much, much easier then desoldering things. make yourself a little amp or something like that to give yourself some practice. Too much heat will ruin components.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 2,194
I'm definately up for a group buy on the Paper/blackgates. Ordered 2 samples of the opamp from National- should be here soon

I'm excited about the possibility of turning my elite pro into a seriously good source. I can Imagine after the initial mods(if all goes well) I'd recap the entire board...

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm definately up for a group buy on the Paper/blackgates. Ordered 2 samples of the opamp from National- should be here soon

I'm excited about the possibility of turning my elite pro into a seriously good source. I can Imagine after the initial mods(if all goes well) I'd recap the entire board...

Good idea. Contact jude and he might be able to put one up, since Partsconnexion is a sponsor of head-fi. One sheet of the shielding paper is enough to do 3 cards.

The Elite Pro should be seriously good. You'll be the first to have a modded one as far as I know.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 2,194
I too would be up for a group buy
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 2,194
Just to clarify, this mod involes ONE op-amp change and ONE capacitor change, right?

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #23 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify, this mod involes ONE op-amp change and ONE capacitor change, right?

yes, if you're going to use stereo. for 7.1 surround sound you'll need to change 4 opamps.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #24 of 2,194
oops.. I just ordered 3 op amps from National Semiconductor.. oh well
biggrin.gif

Thanks man~
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My signature was wrong and I think it confused him. We initally ordered too many Blackgates. He is just sending me the extras when he sends my card back. cotdt is going to recap the whole card now. I hope he takes some more pics. This is a very informative thread. There are a ton of us who have these cards and can benefit from it.

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #27 of 2,194
Quote:

yes, if you're going to use stereo. for 7.1 surround sound you'll need to change 4 opamps.

I only have 3 LM opamps. As I am using 5.1 speakers, do you know which of the 3 surround op-amps should I replace?

Many thanks for this extremely interesting guide. I can't wait to start modding my x-fi!

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #28 of 2,194
Quote:

really? mine's don't seem to that warm at all... only slightly warmer than ambient. I'm quite sure that it's safe to cover the back.

Probably not all cards though, the heatsink was introduced later on for a reason
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #29 of 2,194
WOW amazing awsome job on this detail review that you did. I love your review as an ex-X-Fi xtreme music owner. I currently use the Auzentech Meridian(or also known as Purity) 7.1 SC. This cards offers easy upgradable op-amps, a total of 4 - front, side surround, centre subwoofer, and back surround. The upgradable op-amps on them aren't required solder them in, it's just as easy, quickly and safely take them out with any mini sized flat (-) headed screw driver or with the proper chip remover tool recommanded from Auzen's support page.

Same with the OP, I also purchased my LM4562 from National Semiconductor but on their site I was redirected to Digi-Key. There is also DigiKey.ca so shipping from their warehouse in Ontario to BC only takes 2 days! Fast shipping.

The LM4562NA-POBD I use on the Meridian is 8-DIP size whereas on X-Fi it's SOIC.
xm71_opamp_location.jpg

Here's the long story short, I originally started with stock opamps on the Meridian which they're already preety decent. Then shortly after I switch the stock ones to Burr Brown OPA2134PA (recommanded from Auzen's support page) and sadly I hardly notice any difference despite many rave user reviews on them. Gladly I found the LM4562 in the forums and after the quick mod with them, I'm glad I was able to tell the difference right away. The sound is even cleaner, especially all instruments and each music notes are well seperated and defined. In the bass compartment, it's relatively better defined as well but not by a whole lot. Overall I'd say LM4562 op-amps are truely great and it's definetely a better upgrade over your stock SC's op-amps (NO placeable effect intended)

I've being wondering ever since the beginning I started doing op-amp mod and that's how will I be able to tell one of the op-amps goes faulty? As I mentioned earlier, there is one op-amp for each channel and a total of 4 opamps (front, side surround, centre subwoofer and rear surround) The front is also used for headphones, stated in the manual. So that's like I'm only using one of the 4 opamps (front output) is that right? And how will I know that the opamps are still performing at its optimal state?? Any comments are appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back