Horrible Experience with AT&T DSL
Aug 24, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
here is a strange experience - happened to me somewhat recently.

i use verizon DSL now, but i previously used AT&T. one night my DSL with at&t stopped working. i tried various quick fixes, restarting the computer, reinstalling the software, turning the modem off and on - all of which had been recommended to me on prior occasions when something went wrong. this time though, it did not help.

i called customer service. when you call, you are given two broad options: phone service or DSL. it seems that the phone service and DSL divisions are pretty separate and people in one area can't help you in another. you'll see how this is relevant in a bit. under the DSL menu, there are 3 options: (1) ordering, (2) installation, (3) current service.

of course, i select option 3. then i wait. no big deal. something i expected. i listen to music for a while and every few minutes a recorded message tells me "to please wait on the line as calls are answered in the order that they are received." makes sense. i wait and wait. 4 hours on the phone. nothing happens. never get in touch with someone. not too happy. the next day, i call again. same thing. this time i wait for 2 hours. then i call back and try option 2. get in touch with someone in about 10 mins. i tell them my problem. they recommend the quick fixes, which doesn't help, and then tell me that they have to transfer me to technical support - or option 3. i say that that number doesn't work, tell him how i waited for hours on multiple days with no one picking up. he says it must have been a glitch and transfers me. same thing as before. waiting for hours. nothing happens. i hang up.

next day i call again, now in the morning. wait 1.5 hours. nothing. call in the afternoon. another 1.5 hours with no response. just the music and recorded message. i call back and use option 1 (ordering) or option 2 (installation) and tell them how my DSL has not been working for days and that i have been unable to reach anyone for help using the option 3 number. i ask them if they can help me - maybe send me a brand new installation kit as my modem is most likely defective. they say they cannot. not their department. need to contact technical support. i ask on two different occasions if they can verify that the technical support number is working and that there are people there manning the lines. they say yes. one person says they will transfer me using an internal number - a direct line. i'm skeptical, but i really have no choice. i get transferred. same as before.

i write an email to AT&T customer support telling them of my problems - specifically how i keep on getting directed to the technical support line but no one has ever picked up - and asking for someone to contact me by phone to resolve the problem. the next day i get a response: "we are sorry to hear about your recent problems with at&t DSL service. please contact customer support for assistance" and the number they give is the exact number i said in my email that i was unable to reach anyone. not helpful.

the next day, i call to cancel my DSL service (which fortunately is also option 1). they ask why. i say it's not working and i can't get anyone to help me to fix it. they offer to transfer me to technical support. before i can say no, i am transferred. call back, now in a less nice tone. i say: "please cancel my DSL service immediately!" they ask why. i say "HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!" they ask to elaborate. i tell them that i would prefer not to.

of course, the whole situation was ridiculous - how my complaint was that no one ever picked up at the help number but despite this, all they would do is transfer me there. that doesn't make any sense. but my real question is: what happened. i mean AT&T is a HUGE company. how is it possible that their customer service for DSL customers was not working. was it just out for that week (4 or 5 days to be exact) and they didn't know it. does it work now. how many people were in my situation and called and had the same thing happen.

very odd. i hope my verizon never goes out (knock on wood).

Aug 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 15
Coporate hell. Did you ever ask for a supervisor? Everytime I get into those situation I ask for a supervisor and then ask for that persons supervisor. Trust me bitch enough for a supervisor and you will get there. Just refuse to be transferred. Put me on hold get a supervisor and before you go what was your name operator number etc. And if that doesn't work as for the CEO's mailing address as you would like to send a letter to them about the customer service in their company.

Last but not least ask them for the phone number of their competitor as you need service from someone else at this time.

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 15
I also had AT&T DSL "service" and eventually cancelled. They just can not seem to get away from that monopoly mentality.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 15
AT&T must have it in for you folks in White Plains. My local provider for DSL was Bellsouth, which was bought out by AT&T. I always get an answer to my tech support calls - generally answered by a person with a name like Vikas Palnitkar - and I usually refuse to jump through the troubleshooting hoops and demand that they confirm or deny a system problem in my area. In my experience, 99 times out of 100, when my Interent service goes down it is AT&T, not me. Despite the occassional problems, the service has been quite excellent.

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Yeah that's just ridiculous. I'll say, though, that if you're looking for true customer service, check out Optimum Online (it should be available in White Plains). It may not be the fastest money can buy, but there's always someone to help when service goes down - I've never waited more than 10 minutes to reach a service rep. Verizon gets good reviews in that department as well, however.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Optimum Online, nor do I know anyone working for Optimum Online.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coporate hell.

worse - it was like being in a kakfa novel.
biggrin.gif

the AT&T DSL service is the absolute worst i have encountered in my life. every person i spoke to was unbelievably unhelpful and totally unresponsive to my problem. i would never wish that kind of frustration upon anyone. i have had zero problems with verizon so far and actually the DSL connection is noticeable faster, but of course the real test for any service is how things go when there is a problem. hopefully, it will never come to that. either way, it can't be worse than AT&T.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever ask for a supervisor? Everytime I get into those situation I ask for a supervisor and then ask for that persons supervisor.

once or twice i did ask to speak to a manager. i was just told that one was not available. all they wanted to do was to get me off the line as quick as possible and transfer me to the black hole of option 3 - the number where no one ever picked up.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 15
You may want to consider filing a complaint with the NY Attorney General's office. They may find it interesting that AT&T is willing to take your money and provide zero customer service.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 15
I had Netplex DSL in my area, which works in conjunction with AT&T to provide service. It would cut out usually about once every hour. Forget about trying to play any online games. Getting disconnected inevitable on that service. Trying to download anything was a hassle too. If it cut out in the middle of a file (very common), the full file download had to be restarted. Thankfully, we moved up to Comcast, and haven't had any big issues with it.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 15
Whenever you're having problems with a communications company, be it phone, cable, etc., ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor still gives you the run around, mention that you're going to file a complaint with the FCC. You'll usually get an immediate resolution.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 15
I have had trouble with my cable companies internet just dropping at night. I can tell they are doing service upgrades as it never drops during the day. However, they never tell me that my service will be interrupted. So, suppose I am playing an MMO and my guild is about to take on a giant monster. One second I am keeping everyone alive. The next second I am staring at a connection error...

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 15
You should send your story over to the The Consumerist (consumerist.com). It's a blog site about people who are having negative experiences, usually with large companies, and posters are generally helpful with getting you support #s pretty high up the food chain. I suppose everything is already settled with this issue, but I'd recommend it if you run into any more difficulties.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 15
I like AT&T's DSL service. In fact, it's the only internet service I have ever been completely satisfied with. I've only had to call once when I honestly couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong, and I had a person on the line within ten minutes. Turned out to be an outage from a storm that had just passed.

Sucks that you had a bad experience.

And for future reference, don't wait for them to give you the options, just say 'Operator.' (Do this with any place that has an automated service) You'll get where you want to be a LOT quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back