Home-Made IEMs
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #7,308 of 16,063
Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie here in HeadFi.
I wanted to know your opinion on this setup of my firts multi driver hybrid IEM. I shared an image of the crossover: ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/4zSZsWGJmC9Q3FGq2 )

The crossover will have a custom PCB and the IEM shell is universal and quite big, so everything will fit together. I'll use 4:1 heatshrink for the 10mm driver to create a smooth tube that goes to a triple bore output.

I don't plan to buy till next month since I'll make my buy from Taobao because BA drivers are MUCH cheaper and now they're celebrating Chinese New Year till 22 Feb.

Thanks for all your support!

PD: Here you have a picture of my first DIY IEMs made with the 9mm Lugger bullet shells: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVStrBu9enBllRbd2

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #7,310 of 16,063
Hi Limoster and everyone, I'm a newbie as well and I just completed my first diem project, (in a very improvised fashion tho) which is quite similar to what you are planning. I can't really comment on your setup due to my inexperience, but here is my result:

config.jpg
The black tubing is 0.6mm bell wire sleeve which act as an acoustic low pass, the grey ones are 1 1.5 and 2mm heat shrink tube.

20180208_204542.jpg
the tubing assembly

20180209_205700.jpg
The housing is made with super glue coated thick card and the crossover is located at the other end of the cable.

How do you guys even manage to fit so many things in such small housings :triportsad:

DSCF8637.JPG

Sound is really nice, here is a comparison with my flc8s (red clear black) and mdr 7550 as reference.
The measurements are made with an IEC 711 clone from taobao. I actually like the new diy iem more then my beloved Flc8s which I sometimes found a tad too bright and lean.

Comp.jpg
Red=diy Blue=Flc8s Grey=MDR7550

Not sure why but the SWFK is rather attenuated above 10k, I first thought the ED is cancelling it's output since I connected the SWFK in reverse polarity to avoid huge dips at 4 to 7k, but it doesn't seems to be the case as it stays the same when I disconnected the ED.

Btw speaking of taobao, you might want to buy Bellsing drivers for your first project, they are sightly cheaper but the characteristics are incredible close to Knowles counterparts.

Good luck on your project!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #7,312 of 16,063
Hi Limoster and everyone, I'm a newbie as well and I just completed my first diem project, (in a very improvised fashion tho) which is quite similar to what you are planning. I can't really comment on your setup due to my inexperience, but here is my result:

The black tubing is 0.6mm bell wire sleeve which act as an acoustic low pass, the grey ones are 1 1.5 and 2mm heat shrink tube.

the tubing assembly

The housing is made with super glue coated thick card and the crossover is located at the other end of the cable.

How do you guys even manage to fit so many things in such small housings :triportsad:

Sound is really nice, here is a comparison with my flc8s (red clear black) and mdr 7550 as reference.
The measurements are made with an IEC 711 clone from taobao. I actually like the new diy iem more then my beloved Flc8s which I sometimes found a tad too bright and lean.

Not sure why but the SWFK is rather attenuated above 10k, I first thought the ED is cancelling it's output since I connected the SWFK in reverse polarity to avoid huge dips at 4 to 7k, but it doesn't seems to be the case as it stays the same when I disconnected the ED.

Btw speaking of taobao, you might want to buy Bellsing drivers for your first project, they are sightly cheaper but the characteristics are incredible close to Knowles counterparts.

Good luck on your project!

Preety cool! I like your design quite a lot :wink:
Now I see many more possibilities with a Custom IEM shell like yours.
I read a bit about Bellsing and Estron and I thank you for mentioning them. They are quite a bargain for being the same. The only thing I need are datasheets. I'll do some more research later.

I see your crossover is quite simple and I like that, but I want to make my crossover as Important as the drivers itself. What I mean is i hai have discovered that Knowles uses in very few drivers the IEC711 standard and the testing parameters are quite different from one driver to the other. I have learned how to match the "sensitivity" at the voltage they have tested with the 1mw equivalent for correct dB/mw I want to achieve.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db.htm

Now I'm using a pirated version of EveryCircuit on my phone to simulate the crossover at different frequencies and match the impedances. I'll later export the crossover to EasyEDA and create a custom PCB prototype on JLCPCB.

I'll use the 2P4T switch (K3-2410D-F1) on my IEM to have 4 sound signatures since I'll only modify the sensitivity of the SWFK tweeter and an Isobaric 10mm subwoofer, I'll achieve a FLAT setting, BASS BOOST, TREBLE BOOST, and V-SHAPE.

ATM I have to research some more into the drivers you mentioned and create more simulations.

I hope I'm not the first to discover EveryCircuit simulator for creating CIEMs :p

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #7,313 of 16,063
Just a friendly reminder for people - Chinese New Year is next week so Taobao's shipping should be closed until end of February.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #7,314 of 16,063
Has anyone looked into using Smartphone replacement speakers with a low pass filter as a subwoofer on an IEM? They seem quite space efficient since they aren't round and they are quite cheap. I found this Aliexpress seller (www.aliexpress.com/store/314854) that has many different models for different phones, and even sells sample packs of 20 different speakers in pairs for less than if you bought a pair 20 times. This could be great for testing each and one of them. www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20models-New-loudspeaker-ringer-buzzer-earpiece-receiver-for-Xiaomi-M1-M2-M3-2A-HTC-816-Nokia/314854_32699633206.html

Would you risk trying it?

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #7,315 of 16,063
Hi guys! I finished the next pair of IEM and there is one unpleasant problem = (
The low frequencies on one of the monitors are much quieter than on the other one. And before I attached the faceplate the frequency response was identical. The difference appeared only after the final processing of the faceplate with dremel and lacquering.
It`s GV inside. What can it be? HODVTEC died of vibrations?, or the tube for LF has come loose. I tried to change the red damper, but it did not help.

I'm sure that these monitors would have an excellent balanced sound, if not for this annoying malfunction=(

Attachments

• 2018-01-25 15.40.51.JPG
    2018-01-25 15.40.51.JPG
    909.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 19.17.34.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 19.17.34.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #7,317 of 16,063
Hi guys! I finished the next pair of IEM and there is one unpleasant problem = (
The low frequencies on one of the monitors are much quieter than on the other one. And before I attached the faceplate the frequency response was identical. The difference appeared only after the final processing of the faceplate with dremel and lacquering.
It`s GV inside. What can it be? HODVTEC died of vibrations?, or the tube for LF has come loose. I tried to change the red damper, but it did not help.

I'm sure that these monitors would have an excellent balanced sound, if not for this annoying malfunction=(

Been there, finishing a couple of beauties only to have horrible sound... In my experience it's one of two things, a tube came loose or a tube got bent at an ugly angle causing a blockage, in either case you gotta take apart the CIEM to fix it. Shame, those look really great!

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #7,320 of 16,063

That red line looks pretty great for me. Dammit, I gotta get into this multi driver customs since I have all the tools... just need to educate myself with BA`s and crossovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back