Home-Made IEMs
Feb 3, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #3,136 of 15,989
Use regular nail polish and then, once it all dried and cured, a coat or two of acrylic.  But one thing to keep in mind is that not all nail polishes will work well with this technique.  Some nail polishes dry too fast and as a result do not let you swirl.  Others give you some working time but generally speaking, I think you have about 3 - 5 minutes to make your design and then apply it to your surface.  I did try to mix in some nitrocellulose lacquer retarder into one of the bottles to increase my working time but it caused the paint drop to sink to the bottom of the cup.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #3,137 of 15,989
Does using different kinds of tubing from hearing aid tubing to like metal tubing actually change the sound. JH uses metal waive guides is this just for jacking the price up or is it real.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,140 of 15,989
Different material with different sound absorption ratio will change the upper mids-treble signature dramatically.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3,142 of 15,989
  Use regular nail polish and then, once it all dried and cured, a coat or two of acrylic.  But one thing to keep in mind is that not all nail polishes will work well with this technique.  Some nail polishes dry too fast and as a result do not let you swirl.  Others give you some working time but generally speaking, I think you have about 3 - 5 minutes to make your design and then apply it to your surface.  I did try to mix in some nitrocellulose lacquer retarder into one of the bottles to increase my working time but it caused the paint drop to sink to the bottom of the cup.

While it's very interesting technique it's not possible to do this on water or glycerin with acrylic UV curring material (for IEMs) it's too thick flowing and it sinks down in watter and barely keeps on glycerin.
Anyways you can do this on glass (like for faceplates making) but there's another problem - UV material mixes when you drop one on to another, but it's still possible to do.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,144 of 15,989
So according to some article online, Teflon absorbs high frequency and is a good transmitter of low frequency? 

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #3,146 of 15,989

While it's very interesting technique it's not possible to do this on water or glycerin with acrylic UV curring material (for IEMs) it's too thick flowing and it sinks down in watter and barely keeps on glycerin.
Anyways you can do this on glass (like for faceplates making) but there's another problem - UV material mixes when you drop one on to another, but it's still possible to do.

Pre-make the shells then use acrylic nail paint in water then coat with uv acrylic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back