Home-Made IEMs
Jan 27, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,091 of 15,989
I just did this.  I used silicone from Smooth On.  I got a two part clear silicone kit.  For my mold, I follow the same process as an acrylic. I use krystaloid that I bought from lightning enterprises for my mold material.  I then make a hole in the mold where I expect to put my sound tube.  I insert my driver in the mold putting the sound tube through the hole I made.  Once I have my headphone wire and driver lined up properly, I pour in the silicone mixture in the mold and let it cure.  The hardest part is to get the driver lined up in the mold to make sure there is sufficient clearance on all sides.  The krystaloid works great as it's fairly slippery and doesn't stick to the silicone.  

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,093 of 15,989
For anyone here who is interested in 3D-printing as a potential future DIY option, this may be of interest to you:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit/60#post_11265443

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #3,098 of 15,989
  ^^
For home use ? How much does it cost?

Jude mentions the stereo lithography printer (@ UE) in the second video - approx $250,000

But I was not aware that a standard 3D-printer is entirely unsuitable for non-commercial CIEM printing purposes, if one is willing to buff/polish them afterwards (whereas the expensive stereo lithography option yields very smooth finish straight out of the machine, with no polishing required)

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,102 of 15,989
Just imagine the possibilities you could go into CAD and make flanges in the shell for quick connects for sound tubes, you could program it to make a housing for a dynamic driver right into the shell.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #3,103 of 15,989
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #3,105 of 15,989
I have been sliently reading this thread for quite some time. Learnt a lot from you guys. Really appreciated all the ideas you guys shared.
Below are some of the iems I made from early 2014 till last week. These are the good ones, and there are also a lot of bad ones end up in the trash. But I enjoyed a lot of the process of making IEM. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back