Home-Made IEMs
Jun 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,801 of 16,074

Yeah, I think they're DF compensated with a -1 dB/octave gradient from 1 kHz for a target response. Characteristic 711 10-12k resonance is there.

I'm not questioning 711 part - I actually know this is 711 but those graphs are completely different from what I got using sine sweep for NT6Pro.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,802 of 16,074

Glad to be of help 
biggrin.gif

Then it's gonna be one hell of a printer. I tried printing the horn once and gave up that idea right away. CNC offers much better accuracy at far lower cost compared with 3D printing.

I think he is confusing the terms , I guess he meant digital manufacturing and I agree CNC is better solution. It also possible with SLS SLA  which is now standard in hearing aid industry.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,804 of 16,074

I'm talking about those direct sintering titanium printers. Apparently, they cost $100-200k a machine.

I'm not sure even UE could justify that kind of outlay, for CIEM production purposes.

We all know the prices of 3D-printing technologies will keep tumbling, though, so exciting times ahead...

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,807 of 16,074
Jun 13, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,810 of 16,074
  I think Lab I is just expensive accessory. I mean the housing. I guess they would sound same in any other shell with any other process.

I'm not one for expensive gimmicks, and I'm neither disagreeing or agreeing with the above, but, merely for the sake of discussion, it is interesting to contemplate whether the much-increased density and mass (and strength) of titanium enclosures/shells, in comparison to acrylic/resin/plastic/silicone, etc. might, on a micro-level, reduce undesirable resonances to a BA or dynamic driver chassis, and thus potentially improve the accuracy and fidelity of the reproduced signal.

My days of designing & building fullsize hi-fi loudspeakers taught me that unwanted resonances can detrimentally affect the fidelity of their reproduction to a surprising degree. Obviously, the physical stresses involved in generating sufficient SPL to convincingly fill a room are vastly greater than those for a tiny signal and tiny SPL in an in-ear application, but even so, we're talking about microscopically-small movements required of the BA diaphragm in order to transduce tiny musical details, so why shouldn't unwanted resonances, however tiny, exert some detrimental influence upon the fidelity of the reproduced audio signal? For this reason, even though I dislike expensive gimmicks, I am going to remain open-minded as to whether metal IEM shells might slightly improve the fidelity of reproduction by comparison with other materials.

I guess, therefore, that the proof will be in the pudding, but I won't personally be buying a FAD product in this lifetime, as I consider their products to be greedily overpriced, to exploit that same 'money-to-burn-without-question' sector of the audiophile marketplace inhabited by the likes of A&K.

I still feel there is plenty of mileage in acrylic, on the CIEM side of things, but perhaps we may begin to see some experimentation with metal-loaded plastics in the near future, probably on the 3D-printing side of things.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,811 of 16,074
It would be fun to A/B a titanium shell and an acrylic shell and find out if it makes a noticeable change to the sound. I have always been a skeptic about many things in high end audio but I have to say that I have been surprised by the impact that seemingly insignificant things can have on the sound of a CIEM.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,812 of 16,074
Hello guys! I build crossover. I need 22 uF ceramic cap and 27 Ohm, 15 Ohm resistor. What is better MURATA or VENKEL capasitor, and what manufacturer to take resistors? How to determine the voltage of the capacitor I need - 10V or 25V or something else. Thank you guys, I love you.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,813 of 16,074
Can I ask what happens if I block the port on the CI driver? As it is facing forward, and I'm printing a rubber boot to fit the drivers in, it's not going to get any air, if at all.

I have bought the CI, WBFK and DTECs already, and am going to start printing/testing next week. For fun, here's my latest design of the shell (still have to separate into left/right designs by mirroring the drivers)

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,814 of 16,074
  Can I ask what happens if I block the port on the CI driver? As it is facing forward, and I'm printing a rubber boot to fit the drivers in, it's not going to get any air, if at all.

I have bought the CI, WBFK and DTECs already, and am going to start printing/testing next week. For fun, here's my latest design of the shell (still have to separate into left/right designs by mirroring the drivers)

I suspect this will result in reduced base output. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back