HM-901
Jul 7, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2,866 of 3,522
  Mine first batch replacement came within two days of them receiving the old unit as well. This was when they were in HK though. Currently they ship parts from China. Battery from there took about a week max though. I'm from Stinkapore. 

Yea I had my re600 RMA'ed and it took all in all a week from the time I shipped mine till I received the replacement.  And yup it was shipped from China.
  Size of the dap isn't gonna be the main issue even if you could fit a 901 into your jeans. It might fry your manhood, I assume you're male, if kept and used there for too long. Running on balance especially. 

Lol yup the heat is probably the deal breaker for most especially now that we're in summer (except for our AU/NZ friends I suppose).... I'm finding myself carrying the DX90 more these days than my 901 or AK240 as they both can get quite warm.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2,868 of 3,522
How's the line out SQ of this DAP?

It is fantastic! I use the Lo to hook up w my speaker setup sometimes, the sound is amazing, sometime I feel like to use it to play my favorite CDs instead of going through CD player->DAC then to the preamp.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,870 of 3,522

Yea I had my re600 RMA'ed and it took all in all a week from the time I shipped mine till I received the replacement.  And yup it was shipped from China.

Lol yup the heat is probably the deal breaker for most especially now that we're in summer (except for our AU/NZ friends I suppose).... I'm finding myself carrying the DX90 more these days than my 901 or AK240 as they both can get quite warm.

I don't mind bringing it out. But in a pouch. And taken out when I'm sitting down etc. 

Just not in my pants. No No.  

The Ak240 doesn't get as hot right? 

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,872 of 3,522
Last nite, I did a brief test drive with mass kobo 385 (loaner from Mr. Sprks01). Unfortunately, it did not result in a so optimal synergy as there were surges of aggressiveness that felt very forced. It seems 385 could not tame the HM-901 line out.... Its definitely not a good start in my search for a good portable amp for 901. I then switched to comparing RCA cables for a full hour...until my ears would cry if listen to the same track again LoL

Hopefully, will try the Pico Power(a loaner from Mr Sprks01) later on today.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,873 of 3,522

The Ak240 doesn't get as hot right? 

Yes, AK240 can get as hot if put in pocket or in a pouch. AK240 is actually hotter if playing dsd. The metallic body also conduct heat better so it feels hotter on your thigh when it's in your pocket. However if put on a table with good ventilation, 901 is hotter than AK240.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,874 of 3,522
Just finished AB-ing the minibox card and Pico Power almost two hours today using Ref1 and 1p2. It is no doubt Pico Power is a fine sounding and neutral amp that performs better than the Mass Kobo 385 when pairing with HM-901. Unfortunately, it did not give any significant benefit over the minibox card. Pico Power has a slight brighter sounding treble and  produces a slightly sharper imaging. The soundstage width and depth are more or less the same as the minibox card which really nothing to write home about as compare to more spacious DAPs or even the balance card for that matter. It did made the dynamic drivers on Ref1 and 1p2 to work for the money.  It is a very excellent amp for DAP with a lesser amp section. I have no intention to use it with headphones so I didn't test.

Edit: Sorry.... just exchanged text with sprks01 and apparently he just bought the pico power to put it in his cupboard... so please take my impression with a grain of salt because the unit is not burnt in........ i hate rich people.......
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,875 of 3,522
   The soundstage width and depth are more or less the same as the minibox card which really nothing to write home about as compare to more spacious DAPs or even the balance card for that matter. 

I agree that the minibox card does not have a huge soundstage - but it does have very holographic, dimensional images in that stage.  Much like speaker-based systems, there is a trade-off between big, open, but diffuse soundstage, and very 3-d palpable images, but in a smaller stage.

between the palpability and the timbre/tonality of the minibox card - it is my favorite overall (have not heard the balanced card though).

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,876 of 3,522

I agree that the minibox card does not have a huge soundstage - but it does have very holographic, dimensional images in that stage.  Much like speaker-based systems, there is a trade-off between big, open, but diffuse soundstage, and very 3-d palpable images, but in a smaller stage.

between the palpability and the timbre/tonality of the minibox card - it is my favorite overall (have not heard the balanced card though).

I agree wholeheartedly regarding your description of minibox card. I get the same speaker feeling when driving 1plus2 with uber cable much similar to my near field listening with bookshelf speakers but in a smaller scale.

incidentally, I spent the sunday to experiment with speakers placement in my tiny room and sprks01 schooled me good last night on how to reproduce a smaller sound stage. I am going to experiment it a bit more this weekend and do more cable AB-ing.

I have not been using headphones as much due to the hot weather. As for  iem listening in general, my preference leans more to the minibox way of reproducing an illusion of sound coming right above the shoulders (against the ears) as opposed to balance amp that sort of  unnaturally pushing it further away .... (I hope I make sense...)

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,877 of 3,522
Well I ended up deciding to keep the 901 after A/B with an AK240.  It's just easier to listen to if not to live with.

However they really need to do something about quality control....

Unit 1: stiff volume control, loud random popping sounds even when paused.  Amp card very hard to remove and reseat (to try fixing the popping) due to poor fit of the connector.
Unit 2: push button in jog dial off-centre, slightly weaker grip on 3.5mm jack, slightly dimmer screen, cracked box.
Unit 3: card slot not perfectly aligned making closing the cover very difficult with some SDHC cards (honestly I thought I was going to damage the cover when trying to open it again), loose low/high gain switch, light bleed from screen edge, box tries to come apart due to strength of magnets when opening.

Consecutive unit numbers, the most surprising part was the screen brightness, unit 3 much brighter than unit 2 (both on factory defaults).  Actually I'd say from memory 1+2 were a similar brightness.  Due to how Amazon returns work I still have 2 & 3 next to me, I'm tired of sending them back as much as I'm sure they're tired of me doing it, so I'm going to just keep unit 2 and accept the jog button the way it is.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,878 of 3,522
  Well I ended up deciding to keep the 901 after A/B with an AK240.  It's just easier to listen to if not to live with.

However they really need to do something about quality control....

Unit 1: stiff volume control, loud random popping sounds even when paused.  Amp card very hard to remove and reseat (to try fixing the popping) due to poor fit of the connector.
Unit 2: push button in jog dial off-centre, slightly weaker grip on 3.5mm jack, slightly dimmer screen, cracked box.
Unit 3: card slot not perfectly aligned making closing the cover very difficult with some SDHC cards (honestly I thought I was going to damage the cover when trying to open it again), loose low/high gain switch, light bleed from screen edge, box tries to come apart due to strength of magnets when opening.

Consecutive unit numbers, the most surprising part was the screen brightness, unit 3 much brighter than unit 2 (both on factory defaults).  Actually I'd say from memory 1+2 were a similar brightness.  Due to how Amazon returns work I still have 2 & 3 next to me, I'm tired of sending them back as much as I'm sure they're tired of me doing it, so I'm going to just keep unit 2 and accept the jog button the way it is.

Three units with QC issues isn't acceptable for their asking price.
Really just too bad, looks like I just gonna cancel my order. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,879 of 3,522
Just listened to 901 for a couple of hours after receiving it today~ :) 

I am with Michael on this one, the depth and layer is really special that no other portable device can offer, specially with Fen Li card.

Minibox card is generally a little brighter with tighter bass. Both sound really good~With Fen li card has a little more authority. 

I am so "smart" getting a 901 back :p

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,880 of 3,522
  Just listened to 901 for a couple of hours after receiving it today~ :) 

I am with Michael on this one, the depth and layer is really special that no other portable device can offer, specially with Fen Li card.

Minibox card is generally a little brighter with tighter bass. Both sound really good~With Fen li card has a little more authority. 

I am so "smart" getting a 901 back :p

You using the new version yellow discrete card or the old version?  You should also try Hugo, which is finally something I feel has better sound than the 901 in the portable arena. (but then it isn't really portable... more like transportable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back