HJE900 woes - replacement cable, or similar IEMs?
Aug 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ElChupaNibre

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

A couple of years ago, after advice from this forum, I bought a pair of Panasonic HJE900s which were said to be brilliant for the price (£70). I loved them, but they broke a little over a year later, so I bought a new pair after (fortunately) finding them on offer for the same price. Well, around 10 months later and the cable on that pair has also broken.

The frustrating thing, as I'm sure most IEM experts will already know, is that the cable on these earphones can be replaced, but those are only available in Japan - Panasonic don't do them in the UK at all. I'm looking into somehow getting a couple of spare cables sent over - as I now have two pairs of perfectly fine earpieces that will otherwise be going to waste - but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I've also looked at other cables - apparently the Sleek Audio SA1 cables can be used, but from what I've read the resulting sound quality is not as good.

So, I now have to look at getting replacement IEMs - something relatively cheap that are similar in style, and sound quality, to the HJE900s. Any suggestions?

Quick research indicates that the Soundmagic E10s are a great bargain at £35, but are they genuinely good, or just considered good for the price range? Similar in sound to the HJE900?

The Audeo PFE 012 (perfect bass) is also an option, but the package and accessories seem a little bare-bones for the £90 price - I'd rather spend a little less than that. Having extensively tried the more expensive PFE 112 (with the default filter), I'm not a huge fan of the shape, and the sound also seems a little too soft and light on bass for my liking.

Any other IEM suggestions - preferably one that's robust, and with a decent warranty? Or any other way that I can get a replacement cable for the HJE900s?

For what it's worth, I'm awaiting delivery of a Galaxy S3 (which apparently has a very good Wolfson DAC), and I'll mainly be using the IEMs with that, as well as an old 80GB iPod.

Many thanks!

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 2
i think the sleek sa1 cable will work with the HJE900 as far as i am aware.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=sleek+sa1&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1920&bih=1018&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7248028786164739885&sa=X&ei=AE4gUL2SLoGa0QWyw4GgCw&ved=0CFwQ8wIwBA#ps-sellers

I may be wrong though so i would check it out with someone else first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back