High end diy amps
Apr 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

c12mech

100+ Head-Fier
I have been reading through a lot of threads on this site and have noticed that the β22 seems to be the best option for a high-end diy SS amp. It is already on my list of projects so I will get to it one day. What, if any, would be the tube amp equivalent? I have not seen any one really stand out like the β22 does for SS.

I know that everyone has their own opinion about this and that is really what I am looking for. Is there no one diy tube amp that stands above the rest?

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 27
I have met a few people who prefer CKK-iii to B22. In many ways it sounds more like what I like (personally) A little smoother and perhaps slightly less analytical.

Fortunately there isnt even a foggy consensus for the best DIY tube amp project. I think this is actually a benefit because it encourages diversity and spurs the inclusion of outside though in new amps, and for people to build old things which is great. Whatever it is, be prepared to work with at least 150V, and possibly 2 or 3 times that. I would go to head-wize and read through the old project pages find something that interests you and try it out!

Edited:
although it has only been mentioned maybe 3 times in anything close to a review, the wold audio design HD83 is pretty slick.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 27
Tube amps are relatively simple, but more reliant on parts. If you build a transformer coupled design, be prepared to shell out for nice trafos to get the best sound. Cap coupled designs like Bijou require nice caps at the output.

If you're willing to consider electrostatics, the blue hawaii is probably the 'best' tube amp out there.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 27
I have read through most of the head-wize projects. Some of them look very interesting indeed. The Blue Hawaii would definitely be on the list if electrostatics were my thing. Just wanted some input as to what others thought on this subject.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 27
Do consider the direct DC coupled transconductance amplifier like the Cavalli AUdio EHHA. Also from all that I have read and heard about, the Aikido (24V and HV versions) is supposedly pretty darn good as well.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 27
I like all the design I've seen from Cavalli. I'm to the point of lots of amps to choose from and not enough time or money. It will be a while before I can start anything high end. I'm just trying to put together my wish list and get funds allocated to them in proper order.

I'm starting a SSMH next week to go with the DT880's I just bought. I know it's not high end but it will be a big step up from the cmoy cx400 combo I'm using now.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 27
THe SSMH is actually a very good amplifier. It sounds quite musical albeit lacks the refinement of others that cost 3x more. Still the class A biased MOSFET output stage sounds so good. Best MH i have heard really.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 27
depends depends depends.

With grados, TO MY EARS, i havent heard better than the SSMH. superb synergy.

With senns it was rubbish. I love a bijou with senns, but i guess given enough cash for some decent output transformers i could probably build something even nicer... subjectively.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 27
Agreed. SYnergy and system matching is all important. All my experience with most hybrid amps (including the SSMH) have been with orthodynamics. And orthos sound quite amazing on nearly any tube hybrid with a MOSFET output stage.

For DT-880s, I think you need to talk to nikongod as he has quite a bit of experience with them. His parafeed amp was just delightful with the Beyers.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 27
Don't forget the Dynahi
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 27
John Broskie swears that his 6CG7/6H30P Aikido is the best head-amp he's ever heard (and I'm sure he's heard many since, as far as I know, he does most of his listening via headphones) but of course his opinion is biased.

In any case, I'm planning to build one (as a preamp) for a friend and I'll try it with headphones as well.
If I'm sufficiently impressed I'll build one and drop the whoe EHHA/B22 combo (with shared PSU) idea.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For DT-880s, I think you need to talk to nikongod as he has quite a bit of experience with them. His parafeed amp was just delightful with the Beyers.

walkingnewspaper+smiley+blush.png
Thanks

It was inspired by Dsavistik's Less-pressivo amps with a few tweaks here and there.

The page looks like its down. You can find it here when it comes around.

The biggest tweak was getting the output impedance just right for Beyers. 0 ohms output impedance is not right for beyers (IMO/IME), 120 ohms is much better.

Here is a photo of it
im000402r.jpg

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 27
fallen angel, do you know where any dynahi or dynalo boards are available? i've been interested in a dynahi or dynalo for a while but it seems a little difficult to source..not really looking to make my own etchings yet either..

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 27
Gilmore's Headwize project articles show perf board builds - pcb aren't always necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back