High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Oct 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #167 of 903
  People who like the 1Plus2 as #1 will probably love the JH13FP. Heard the demo today. Compared it directly to the UERM (custom version).

I'm extremely impressed by the JH13FP's technical capability --- it sounds really, really good --- clarity/transparency/imaging are off the charts. But the overall sound signature is too intense for me, in much of the same way the 1Plus2's signature was "too intense".

It's an impossibility, but If the UERM somehow got the FreqPhase treatment, it'd be near ideal for me. Maybe mix in a little bit of the CW-L05QD flavor.

Absolutely agreed!  Probably the two most technically competent IEMs I have heard (and I ended up getting both).  But my infatuations with them has to do more with how they connect me to the music, more so than others IEM I own.  Probably I'm a real sucker for transparency.  

Having said that, the 1plus2 and jh13 fp are still very different sounding IEMs and it's great to have both 
etysmile.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #168 of 903
  Define intense.  Too dynamic?  Too forward?  Too sharp?

Probably he meant too much details for the ears to process at once?

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #170 of 903
   Probably he meant too much details for the ears to process at once?

Not really... I don't actually think it's any more detailed than other TOTL earphones. The midrange of the JH13 actually sounds smoothed over compared to the UERM and the L05QD... it's the DFK/TWFK/DWFK effect...

It's just that everything's so forward: bass, vocals, treble are all very forward. To me, the JH13FP doesn't sound "open" --- it's like a hyper clear bauble of information around my head, but it doesn't feel spread open.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #171 of 903
Don't get me wrong, people ---- I LOVE resolution and transparency --- more than 99% of head-fiers, actually, and that's probably not an overstatement if you know me. However, the JH13FP has a clarity boost in the 6k region --- very clearly there. That can sound artificial after a while of listening to ED/2300-style drivers that don't have that clarity bump.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #172 of 903

Absolutely agreed!  Probably the two most technically competent IEMs I have heard (and I ended up getting both).  But my infatuations with them has to do more with how they connect me to the music, more so than others IEM I own.  Probably I'm a real sucker for transparency.  

Having said that, the 1plus2 and jh13 fp are still very different sounding IEMs and it's great to have both 
etysmile.gif

I heard the JH13 demo a few weeks ago and it certainly sounded very good and the UERM is very good despite it not being as popular as other choices. I bought them both on impulse and should be getting the JH13 in a few weeks hopefully. Actually all the customs I bought on impulse have turned out to be quite good for me (UERM and JH5 and hopefully the JH13 as well)

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #173 of 903
  It's just that everything's so forward: bass, vocals, treble are all very forward. To me, the JH13FP doesn't sound "open" --- it's like a hyper clear bauble of information around my head, but it doesn't feel spread open.

I dislike that kind of presentation as well.  Real life is high detail, high resolution.  But when life happens an inch from your ear... too forward.  You need that separation, even if it's just a few feet. Otherwise it can come off as shouty, overly forward.  In other news... bummer, the JH13fp was topping my list :frowning2:

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #175 of 903
And where would one go try some universal models in the Ottawa Ontario Canada region?  Honest question.  I haven't bought locally in over a decade /facepalm

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #176 of 903
Well these is NO number 2 for now....
biggrin.gif

I prefer and am using the 1plus2 so much more than the rest that it isn't even close. For me it is just in its own class and I always misses it using other iems. It is almost speakers like and the sound kept growing on me long after the new toy syndrome wore off.

RE600, now that you mentioned it, would be right up there around three to four when, and only when, paired with hm901 with balanced amp board. Especially with classical recordings as it sounded very very lifelike from the overall sound staging to individual instrument timbre.

Also need to mention, the tg334 would be on par with the jh13fp when used with the twag v3 to correct the mid bass hump and open up wider soundstage.

I recommend you get the Flat 4 and maybe SE5 to fill number 2 :wink:.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #177 of 903

Not really... I don't actually think it's any more detailed than other TOTL earphones. The midrange of the JH13 actually sounds smoothed over compared to the UERM and the L05QD... it's the DFK/TWFK/DWFK effect...

It's just that every thing's so forward: bass, vocals, treble are all very forward. To me, the JH13FP doesn't sound "open" --- it's like a hyper clear bauble of information around my head, but it doesn't feel spread open.

It's really hard to separate that term "forward". Because I interpret IEMs like the Fit Ear 334 to be extremely forward sounding and constantly in your face. More so in your head. It's so close that it can get grating and fatiguing in itself. Maybe my interpretation of what you are saying is the 1Plus2 is on the aggressive side for you and engaging. The imaging and separation are very strong points on this IEM. It just throws everything at you in a very fast manner. That in itself can get tiring after a while. But in comparison to the Fit Ear 334 I'd get tired of that type of presentation because it's very intimate as if the music is being forced on me instead of actually listening to music.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #178 of 903
  I dislike that kind of presentation as well.  Real life is high detail, high resolution.  But when life happens an inch from your ear... too forward.  You need that separation, even if it's just a few feet. Otherwise it can come off as shouty, overly forward.  In other news... bummer, the JH13fp was topping my list :frowning2:

I would still see if you can try a demo. It's the best way to find out

I agree with rawrster that you should still try to hear a demo first before crossing it off your list. You might just like it. It really is a very articulate sounding earpiece (one of the best ever, honestly), just perhaps not quite my cup of tea. Someone else put it best, that the JH13 FP was a rockstar's monitor --- you hear everything going on around you, but it gets overwhelming after a while.

It's really hard to separate that term "forward". Because I interpret IEMs like the Fit Ear 334 to be extremely forward sounding and constantly in your face. More so in your head. It's so close that it can get grating and fatiguing in itself. Maybe my interpretation of what you are saying is the 1Plus2 is on the aggressive side for you and engaging. The imaging and separation are very strong points on this IEM. It just throws everything at you in a very fast manner. That in itself can get tiring after a while. But in comparison to the Fit Ear 334 I'd get tired of that type of presentation because it's very intimate as if the music is being forced on me instead of actually listening to music.

"Forward" is perhaps a poor descriptor in general. The 1Plus2 is indeed too aggressive for my personal tastes. I like open and transparent, but with a relaxed attitude. A/B-ing between the JH13FP and the UERM makes the UERM sound super "sleepy" and "disinterested" --- however, that kind of sound signature ends up sitting in my ears much longer than the ultra-engaging IEMs like the 1Plus2 and JH13FP. The TO GO! 334 felt pretty open in the upper midrange to treble, so I never had a problem with it. The lower midrange was a bit too prominent, and the bass was slow and at times muddy, but the overall sound signature is something I can sit down with for four, five hours and not mind taking them off. With "engaging" IEMs, I need a break every 20 minutes or so.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #179 of 903
  People who like the 1Plus2 as #1 will probably love the JH13FP. Heard the demo today. Compared it directly to the UERM (custom version).

I'm extremely impressed by the JH13FP's technical capability --- it sounds really, really good --- clarity/transparency/imaging are off the charts. But the overall sound signature is too intense for me, in much of the same way the 1Plus2's signature was "too intense".

It's an impossibility, but If the UERM somehow got the FreqPhase treatment, it'd be near ideal for me. Maybe mix in a little bit of the CW-L05QD flavor.

Curious, if one likes the 334s over the 1P2, what would they probably like? Perhaps as an upgrade.

I'm actually the opposite of this. It's interesting. If it doesn't through the music directly too me, my mind will zone out and lose concentration :p

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #180 of 903
Curious, if one likes the 334s over the 1P2, what would they probably like? Perhaps as an upgrade.

I don't know if it'd necessarily be an "upgrade", but I would say that the best possibility of a TOTL CIEM topping the 334 would be the Westone ES5. Keep in mind that I've only heard someone else's ES5, so the fit isn't perfect, but I personally would still prefer the upper midrange presentation of the 334, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back