HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #25,517 of 25,604
You have to listen closer to what he says, he reviews items from very different price catergories, when for example he talks about reference sound adressing something like Wandla delta sigma dac - its reference sound in category of 2-3k. Not something that can compare to May, yet alone Lapizator Baltic 4 or Wavedream Signature. Simply different price categories. Idk I think he was very on point in his amp reviews so far. While I dont share his preference for something like Rivera and lean much more towards huigher end 300b setups, I usually know where he is coming from with his conclusion. To much lesser extend with Golden, where I simply cant rely on his opinion knowing much of it is influencer marketing - see his his colabs with Holo and Ferrum.
I watched most of his videos, first Holo Bliss was the best Susvara amp, then it was dual mono AHB2, then it was HM1, then it was Wells Audio Headtrip 2 and now he's reconsidering the HM1 because of the Wavedream signature.
I feel there was also only a short time period between a superlative Holo May review before going to the Rockna Wavedream signature.
It was just a feeling I got, if nobody else shares that sentiment then I guess i'm wrong. I do trust his ears and his takes. (they are his eyes too i'm quite sure he hears things I don't!).

Also when did Golden do a collab with Holo? On the Ferrum collab, Crinacle does lots of collabs too while preserving his integrity as a reviewer, altough he does abstain from reviewing his collabs or putting them on his ranking list.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #25,518 of 25,604
I watched most of his videos, first Holo Bliss was the best Susvara amp, then it was dual mono AHB2, then it was HM1, then it was Wells Audio Headtrip 2 and now he's reconsidering the HM1 because of the Wavedream signature.
Well just like the rest of us, he is experiencing new gear and new gear is coming out. I dont want to whiteknight him, but you have to keep in mind, that gear like Wavedream Signature is VERY expensive and VERY difficult to come by. As for amps, he updated his Susvara review for that very reason, after experiencing some of absolute totl stuff, to put it in relation with something "affordable" to the average audiophile like Bliss.

To correct myself - its an asumption, but considering how deeply Golden was involved in Holo Audio hype couple of years ago, and how closely he covered everything Holo May related on his discord and this forums. While May is a superb product I own myself, I think part of it was the usual influencer marketing thing that we see in the hobby all the time. Ferrum was more obvious with his own edition of the recent dac.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #25,519 of 25,604
Well just like the rest of us, he is experiencing new gear and new gear is coming out. I dont want to whiteknight him, but you have to keep in mind, that gear like Wavedream Signature is VERY expensive and VERY difficult to come by. As for amps, he updated his Susvara review for that very reason, after experiencing some of absolute totl stuff, to put it in relation with something "affordable" to the average audiophile like Bliss.
It is very understandable, I also declare every new best thing I hear the ultimate summit and my endgame, only to usually revise that opinion later. Opinions change over time, that's totally normal. I just feel reviewers should be a little more careful given the influence they have on people's buying decisions.
I do very much appreciate his updated Susvara review! Also looking forward to his updated HM1 review. I expect him to say he prefers it to the Mass Kobo 465 and he'll be the first reviewer who then does so haha. Helps me with the urge to sell the HM1 and order this latest FOTM amp :).

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #25,520 of 25,604
It is very understandable, I also declare every new best thing I hear the ultimate summit and my endgame, only to usually revise that opinion later. Opinions change over time, that's totally normal. I just feel reviewers should be a little more careful given the influence they have on people's buying decisions.
I do very much appreciate his updated Susvara review! Also looking forward to his updated HM1 review. I expect him to say he prefers it to the Mass Kobo 465 and he'll be the first reviewer who then does so haha. Helps me with the urge to sell the HM1 and order this latest FOTM amp :).
465 is better than hm1 imo

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #25,521 of 25,604
i enjoy the dramatic flair that Koji brings to his reviews. he's one of a handful of reviewers whose videos i watch out for. but as with all of them, i have to rely on my own ears and preferences after all is said and done.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #25,522 of 25,604
I feel there was also only a short time period between a superlative Holo May review before going to the Rockna Wavedream signature.
It was just a feeling I got, if nobody else shares that sentiment then I guess i'm wrong. I do trust his ears and his takes. (they are his eyes too i'm quite sure he hears things I don't!).

Also when did Golden do a collab with Holo? On the Ferrum collab, Crinacle does lots of collabs too while preserving his integrity as a reviewer, altough he does abstain from reviewing his collabs or putting them on his ranking list.
To be fair, he said the Bliss was the best sub-10k amp. He didn't then say it was mono AHB2, because in the Bliss review he actually said the Bliss made the AHB2 irrelevant. HM1 wasn't out when he praised Bliss, and Well Audio is another category entirely.

Also spoiler...in six months' time the HM1 will be in the bin for something else because that's how all of the summit-fi stuff works :)

BTW, I say all this as someone who has an Envy and just bought a Bliss. Envy is excellent. Best I've heard. Not sure I need it though. If Bliss works well enough for me I can sell the Envy and its tubes, get back nearly 5k and still have a stunning chain I can be very happy about. The only way isn't always up, which is easy to forget when you get caught up in CMA videos and the like. That's something I've learned recently.

If the Bliss really is totally not good enough, I can move it on too.

In about a year, I'll revisit things and try out something properly at the summit like an AIC-10 or whatever else emerges between then and now. For me, CMA videos and the like are great to point people like me in the right direction, and I think Koji's done/doing that really well.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #25,523 of 25,604

I haven't watched them all, but it seemed like from the get-go he did not favor the HM1 over the Bliss, his tube amps, or later the Wells. That much seems consistent. I think he also preferred the Bliss over AHB2.

It does seem that he went through a process of escalating higher and more expensive amps, and as you might expect, they sound better generally, but HM1 was an exception as it wasn't to his tastes.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #25,524 of 25,604
Thinking of the HM1, I did find there are tweaks to remedy most of the things Koji didn't like. DAC synergy, fuses, and esp grounding both chassis to something like a Shunyata Altaira bring out deeper black background and more musical quality. It seems like what makes it sound more pro-audio in character is how it handles ground plane noise. Once that is remedied, it is very pleasing.

A fast, dynamic, mid-forward DAC, with high output voltage also really helps.
I would also suspect the stock AC umbilical is probably the weakest link remaining.

I doubt these will put HM1 on par with amps twice the price, but I do think any objectionable quality can be fixed.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #25,526 of 25,604
I own a 465 and still have an HM-1 on order because it is that good IMHO. It is the best “neutral” amp I have heard. Others may push it and others aside, but a great amp will always remain a great amp.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #25,527 of 25,604
NIce re-review of Susvara from Convince Me Audio on YouTube. One of my favourite channels for headphones.

It is a decent review, but I am not much of a fan of his. Even in this video he proclaims the Sus the best, yet sold his Susvara. If something was the best to me I would keep it, especially as a reviewer. A supposed top reviewer without a Susvara to test with?

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #25,528 of 25,604
It is very understandable, I also declare every new best thing I hear the ultimate summit and my endgame, only to usually revise that opinion later.
The problem is many headphone social media reviewers just haven't heard enough comparable pieces.
It would have been extremely unusual in the Magazine days for a reviewer to be listening to something better than their experience.
Not knocking the "reviewers", but it does lead to a revolving door at the top as the reviewer moves up through equipment and makes direct comparisons between their reviews difficult at best.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #25,529 of 25,604
I own a 465 and still have an HM-1 on order because it is that good IMHO. It is the best “neutral” amp I have heard. Others may push it and others aside, but a great amp will always remain a great amp.
Could you explain why it makes sense for you to own both? I can understand owning a tube amp + neutral SS but I thought HM1 and 465 both were aiming for that neutral sound.
(on a sidenote, if I want perfectly neutral I plug my headphones in my HPA4, the HM1 with its comparatively full bodied sound and tone controls is the "fun" amp for me :L3000:)

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #25,530 of 25,604
It is a decent review, but I am not much of a fan of his. Even in this video he proclaims the Sus the best, yet sold his Susvara. If something was the best to me I would keep it, especially as a reviewer. A supposed top reviewer without a Susvara to test with?
It a great point that it cannot be compared against without owning it. Makes future reviews of other headphones a little more questionable. I was a touch dissapointed that the susvara re-review brought no mention of modded cayin 300b after his incredibly glowing response to it first time around. He also suggested a follow up to the Cayin that never materialised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back