HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Oct 14, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #466 of 1,085
[COLOR=111111]HD800 can beat HE1000 for more details, less vague and only half costs than. Because of this, I may never trust this Chi-Fi brand. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]By far ChiFiman built this so-called [/COLOR][COLOR=4B4F56]Shangri-La headphone with lack sense of design, poor quality. Why don't i just bought STAX 009 or even the King - O[/COLOR]rpheus? Japaneses & German can make better Sound and Quality!!!

totally disagree , and believe me if you hear HE1000 on high end amplifier such as WA5-LE with upgrade tube and cable and nice dac of course it will change your mind forever

I agree. HE1000 on the right setup can seriously kick butt. It doesn't quite have the speed and ability to pick up textures and details as easily as the Shangri-La, but I'd take it any day even on a not-so-great amplifier over the HD800.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #467 of 1,085
I agree. HE1000 on the right setup can seriously kick butt. It doesn't quite have the speed and ability to pick up textures and details as easily as the Shangri-La, but I'd take it any day even on a not-so-great amplifier over the HD800.

I got HD800 for—wait for it—$800.

When HE1000 can be found for three digits on the classifieds I'll give it the time of day. The sound, while pleasant, cannot justify the price tag (to me). Indeed, I find K1000 far and away the more transparent listening experience (though I know the bass will repulse many, perhaps most, listeners).

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #469 of 1,085
The K1000 is a whole other beast. : p
It's still one of the headphones I want to get some day. I actually prefer the earlier serial numbered ones ("bass heavy").

You ain't getting your grubby hands on mine......  
blink.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #470 of 1,085
The K1000 appear on various websites from time to time. Usually around a grand so not too bad.
The sound is supreme, shame for comforr,or lack thereof :p

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #471 of 1,085
Seems to me that HiFiMan does not have much confidence in the sound quality of the Shangri-La. How else to explain them demoing it against a bottom of the line STAX headphone (SR-207)? Not that the SR-207 is bad, but anyone considering the Shangri-La would obviously want to compare it to the STAX 007 or 009.09.

Edit: I misunderstood. I thought HFiMan provided the STAX headphones for comparison. Actually, miceblue brought them. Sorry.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #472 of 1,085
I'm pretty sure I was the only other visitor at CanJam RMAF to bring a STAX headphone. According to the iFi folks, someone else brought a HE-60 to try with their energizer. I tried to extend my thoughts of the Shangri-La to the 009 since it definitely sounds more like that than the 007. I couldn't A/B them obviously since I don't have a 009, but I did the best I can with interpolation.

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #474 of 1,085
HE1 was getting compared to HE90 when Sennheiser was doing their promo/launch/tour bit.  Price wise it would make sense to compare SL to HE1, but try and A/B the two of them in a quiet environment for a decent amount of time though... Even then, if the reviewer claims to have heard a clear winner, not everyone will agree.  And since 99% of the posters in these two threads will probably never buy one, the threads mostly exist for people to come and have a chat.  HE1 thread went nuts when the thing got released, but now everything that can be said about it has been said 5 times and nobody cares anymore.  Now the SL is near it's release, the same thing will probably happen again here... and then we can all go back to reality and buy neither.

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #475 of 1,085
HE1 was getting compared to HE90 when Sennheiser was doing their promo/launch/tour bit.  Price wise it would make sense to compare SL to HE1, but try and A/B the two of them in a quiet environment for a decent amount of time though... Even then, if the reviewer claims to have heard a clear winner, not everyone will agree.  And since 99% of the posters in these two threads will probably never buy one, the threads mostly exist for people to come and have a chat.  HE1 thread went nuts when the thing got released, but now everything that can be said about it has been said 5 times and nobody cares anymore.  Now the SL is near it's release, the same thing will probably happen again here... and then we can all go back to reality and buy neither.

Well put. Especially the inability for most people to compare them in a decent environment.

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #476 of 1,085
I believe the total price is divided as 10K for the headphone and 40K for the amp. Or so the rumors are. Which is unfortunate, given it is sold as a system.
I am pretty sure if these were sold separately some people would buy them, but 40K for a chinese tube amp is hard to swallow.
Compared to the Orpheus HE1 system, where the price is about 50/50 and you also get a decent DAC as a bonus if nothing else. And it's all veryGerman made.
I wish Fang all the luck but I think not selling it separately might hurt the sales, even vs the HE1.

Holy crap that's right...
The Orpheus already comes with its own DAC by ESS.

Damn, the Orpheus is looking like a bargain next to the SL!

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #477 of 1,085
It's also just looking like a classy system you'd be proud to own decades hence.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #478 of 1,085
  Heck, I've seen used SR009 for $2300. I'm glad HFM lowered HEX to 1300, but they really shouldn't be more than $999, and the HE1K not more than, as you say, $2K. I wouldn't pay more than $1700.

Going to retract that—$999 would be competitive with HD800. HEX, which I heard in July at SF Meet, seems to me more at the HD700 level. A mediocre half-measure that you should avoid. Probably not worth more than $699, and that's generous.

EDIT: sorry for double post.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #479 of 1,085
You took the words out of my mouth...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #480 of 1,085
  Heck, I've seen used SR009 for $2300. I'm glad HFM lowered HEX to 1300, but they really shouldn't be more than $999, and the HE1K not more than, as you say, $2K. I wouldn't pay more than $1700.

SR009 going for cheap used probably has a lot to do with manufacturing issues with channel balance and dubious warranty issues. If it didn't have those issues it would be worth more used since they aren't knocks on it's absolute sound performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back