Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #496 of 862
I agree with some aspects of Pianst's impression.  Treble is more detailed on the RE0 over the RE262.  I only use the RE262 amped with my pico slim, so my opinions on them are different over unamped.  Even with the Headstage + RE262 sounds different when compared to the RE262+pico slim.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #497 of 862
I read Pianist's impressions both on e-Q5 thread and here.

RE-262 just sounds fine to me, whether amped or not. I drove it straight out of Rockboxed Clip+ around -10, also tried it via iBasso T3. If not for it's deranged battery draining, I felt no need to use the T3 at all. Treble is indeed laid-back on the RE262 and is never the focal point. But I don't remember any reviews or posts saying that they did better treble than RE0. It is indeed colored, not extended to the lowest lows. But other than that, I am not sure what to make of the separation & sense of space issue brought up with both e-Q5 and RE-262.

I think the only way to solve this issue is for Pianist is to use lots of brain burn-in or get e-Q7 & SE530, because I for one don't think it has to do with fit, more to do with what he expected out of these two IEMs.

On second thoughts, may be FX700 could be his best bet
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #498 of 862
Quote:
Quote:
I concluded a long time ago that Pianist hears quite differently than many people on many earphones :p His opinions on headphones are much more in line with what I'm hearing.

Kind of wondering about the same thing. I too think he should stick to that he knows to work for him.

From what I recall it's never been easy for him. He once said that the SE530 were the best IEMs he's heard, but only on two occasions during the whole time he had them, when he found a perfect fit. He had a rough ride with the e-Q7 too, putting them up for sale twice because of fit issues, before he finally came to terms with them. He just seems to be rather unlucky in that regard and maybe should stick to full-sized or customs. Just my 2c.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #500 of 862
Jumped on the Re 262 train 
biggrin.gif
 Pianist disliked the Re262 so much I though I'd take them off him lol. 

Volume wise they are definitely loud enough, but I don't want my J3 dying after 8 hours. So I'm looking at cheap amps and think the Fiio7 and the T3 would be good for the price. I would prefer a neutral amp that would serve the purpose of boosting the volume. The Fiio e5 would have been good but apparently you can't turn the bass boost off?

Thoughts? I searched the thread but couldn't find any detailed reviews.

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #501 of 862
Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen multiple people reporting that the T3 has a good synergy with the RE262.

Also, what do you think of them?

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #502 of 862
Beautiful mids 
normal_smile .gif
 Lovely, smooth, liquid mids. The treble detail is there its just not as upfront as the DBA's or the e-q5. The imaging is not as precise either but I'm not much fussed by that as I have the e-q5's and DBA's (or the FA-003 for now, Pianist and I traded for the week) for the accuracy. There is more body to the music as well, it just reaches out and grabs you. These are just fun to listen to!

Quote:
Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen multiple people reporting that the T3 has a good synergy with the RE262.

Also, what do you think of them?

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #503 of 862
Glad you like them, I would just get a T3 over an E7 unless you're planning to heavily use the DAC on it because E7 pretty much equals E5 in the amp section. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #507 of 862

Quote:
congrats finally someone who appreciates them for what they truly are

Hehe. I met pianist today. Really nice guy who clearly has alot of experience and knowledge of IEM's. The problem is he has a very definite sound signature in mind that he knows he wants. So unless he finds it he isn't going to be satisfied which is why I think he is having trouble finding the right one. The shures were the ideal IEM for him except the fit was crap. 

Quote:
It seems every current EQ-5 user at least appreciates the RE262s lol

Quote:
they compliment each other very well depending on my mood :)

They are similar yet very different. A contradiction yes, but its odd, when I have one I can tell what the difference between the two is, two things mainly, mid emphasis and presentation! They compliment each other I agree. 

Quote:
Glad you like them, I would just get a T3 over an E7 unless you're planning to heavily use the DAC on it because E7 pretty much equals E5 in the amp section. 

Cheers inks! Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a total noob at this and reading wikipedia didn't really clear up much, but let me state it how I understand it.

1)Data is stored in digital format
2)It has to be converted to analog format to be played through speakers
3) My cowon has a built in DAC because it has to convert and play the music

If I use an amp, I can either

1) Use it just to amplify the sound (play it louder)
or
2) Use its DAC, it will take the digital signal from the J3 and convert it to analog itself and then relay the sound in analog based on its own sound signature

Is this correct? If so, I was under the impression that to use it as a DAC, you would need a line out and not just a headphone out right? My J3 only has a headphone out so wouldn't it only work as an amplifier? I don't plan on using it for my laptop, solely portable.

Thanks and sorry for the noobish question!
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #508 of 862
You're correct. Except when you mention "line out" I think you're thinking about transport use instead of actual "line out".

Data is stored in digital format and must be converted to analog to be played through speakers. Your J3 has it's own DAC which converts your mp3 files to an analog signal which it feeds to its own internal amplifier and that's what you hear when you plug in your headphone. A true line out does not bypass the internal DAC either, in a line out, right after the DAC converts the digital data to an analog signal, it feeds that analog signal out directly in the "line out" instead of feeding it through its own internal amplifier. That way, you can feed the signal direct from the DAC into your own amplifer, which is presumably superior to the internal amplifer in the J3.

mp3 data -> J3 DAC -> internal amplifier -> your headphones
mp3 data -> J3 DAC -> line out -> external amplifier -> your headphones

If it were possible to have the mp3 data in the J3 fed out to an external DAC, through means of usb, coax, optical, that would be using it as a transport. The J3 doesn't have this functionality as far as I'm aware.

Thus, it's impossible to get use of the DAC in the E7 if you're going to use it through the J3. The amp section is identical to the E5 so if you're only going to use the E7's amp section you might as well only get an E5. The T3 is probably your best bet.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #509 of 862
The E7s DAC will pretty much only be useful with your PCs where it would do the function you describe. The J3 doesn't have a line out to bypass it's own internal amp so you have to get a mini to mini cable to hook up the E7/T3. This is reportedly to work solidly well...

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #510 of 862
Thanks Eraser that is an excellent explanation. And you are correct that is what I was thinking. So when people talk about amp coloration, are they talking about when you feed the digital mp3 data directly into an amp, with players that have that feature? From the way you explained it, the only purpose the amp would serve with my J3 is to increase the sound, and boost the bass if it has the option correct? No coloration would really come into play it seems.

Quote:
You're correct. Except when you mention "line out" I think you're thinking about transport use instead of actual "line out".

Data is stored in digital format and must be converted to analog to be played through speakers. Your J3 has it's own DAC which converts your mp3 files to an analog signal which it feeds to its own internal amplifier and that's what you hear when you plug in your headphone. A true line out does not bypass the internal DAC either, in a line out, right after the DAC converts the digital data to an analog signal, it feeds that analog signal out directly in the "line out" instead of feeding it through its own internal amplifier. That way, you can feed the signal direct from the DAC into your own amplifer, which is presumably superior to the internal amplifer in the J3.

mp3 data -> J3 DAC -> internal amplifier -> your headphones
mp3 data -> J3 DAC -> line out -> external amplifier -> your headphones

If it were possible to have the mp3 data in the J3 fed out to an external DAC, through means of usb, coax, optical, that would be using it as a transport. The J3 doesn't have this functionality as far as I'm aware.

Thus, it's impossible to get use of the DAC in the E7 if you're going to use it through the J3. The amp section is identical to the E5 so if you're only going to use the E7's amp section you might as well only get an E5. The T3 is probably your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back