HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #871 of 902
Thanks. I finally got half an answer from Hifiman this morning that said the same thing. This, by the way, makes no sense to me. If you come out with a V2 product why not mark the product or at least the boxes as such. Lazy? As it stands now I still do not know if I received V1 or V2 of the product. And they are not answering again. I am a little disappointed in this type of support.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #872 of 902
well.... i can understand why it would be the generally expected thing here but the thing to keep in mind is that in china, well why bother, you have to redesign the box, print new ones just so it can be ripped open and tossed in the bin.

It is a different way of thinking and looking at things. there, the only thing that matters is whats inside, the earphone is whats important. the box is just rubbish to be thrown away.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #873 of 902
You are really just making up an excuse to excuse poor behavior. My RE-600 V2 came in a brown outer box that said RE-600 on it. Okay let's say that those boxes were pre-printed. It would have taken nothing for someone to take a stamp that said V2 on it and stamped that to append the RE-600 pre-printed on the box. It would certainly have avoided this confusion and consternation seen here. All that said it really does not matter anymore. I called the Hifiman Customer Service number four times since yesterday. A recorded message says that my call will be returned promptly. Not at all true. No one calls back. I believe I traded emails with you and sent you the pictures you asked for. You still have yet to reply. Well there is no need to now. The IEMs have been packed up and are being returned to Amazon for a refund. I only know one way to deal with poor customer service and it's to take my money elsewhere. I will buy another brand where they make me feel valued. Thanks for the lesson.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #874 of 902
well no i was trying to explain that your point of view isnt the only one that might exist and that other people and indeed other cultures may view things differently from yourself. Im sorry that wasnt something you seem to have understood but instead took to be making an excuse for not doing what you think should have been done.

you are of course free to think however you wish.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #875 of 902
Just got my RE 600S V2 today (Black Friday deal). Great value for money - SQ is definitely competitive with much more expensive IEMs. First impressions listening out of a Sony Walkman A35: very sophisticated sound, above all very engaging non-recessed mids/vocals. Well recorded high resolution 24/96 kHz records with good dynamic range sound fantastic!

Ergonomics are great as expected from such a tiny IEM. These weigh basically nothing and more or less disappear in your ears. The new cable seems solid too. Very lightweight and doesn´t tangle easily either. Very difficult to compare to RE 400 as I gave mine to a friend many years ago, but from memory I´d say these have a more sophisticated/natural sound that simply draws more emotional connection. Definitely more enjoyable and I liked the RE 400 a lot already too. Also bonus points for the nice packaging - good amount of included tips, extra filters etc. I´ll be using the neat leather/metal box as my general IEM gear storage at home from now on.

Now I´ll leave these to burn in for a day or so and then come back :)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #876 of 902
I just got my Black Friday order today also. I even had sent an email to headamp concerned that I'd received the RE-600S instead of the RE-600 since I saw that the jack was a 3 connector 3.5mm TRS jack. Decided to give them a listen anyway since I'd already opened them. Imagine my embarrassment when as I removed the cable tie and unwrapped the cord I saw that there was an adapter, balanced to single ended on the cord! :astonished: Which means I got the correct one and I was wrong.

In the less than half hour between when I'd sent my original email, discovered my mistake and went back to my email to send another message saying that I was wrong and everything was good they'd responded already. So double kudos to headamp. Extremely quick shipping and quick response to customer service issues.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #877 of 902
Picked up the RE600S v2 in the Black Friday specials. Wow, these are terrible, terrible IEM/earphones. No bass of any kind, little midrange and shockingly harsh, piercing treble. I've tried them a couple times and I can't stand to listen to them. They're comfortable enough to wear (as mentioned they're practically weightless) but the sound is just godawful. These are going back; the sound quality is lower than that from a free Apple earbud. Apparently they spent the entire budget on the asinine overpackaging. I had decent expectations for them since I love the HE-400S headphones.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #878 of 902
No bass of any kind, little midrange and shockingly harsh, piercing treble.

Are you sure you´re getting a seal? No bass/harsh treble* is exactly what happens when you don´t have one... The RE600 shouldn´t sound harsh at all, the treble is actually very polite/somewhat rolled off. If anything the RE600 sound slightly mid-forward, warm and sophisticated. Bass isn´t boosted with a downward slope**, but it´s not rolled off either. Many people prefer a +3 or more dB boost in bass for IEMs though, which is something the RE600 doesn´t do. The tonality I described shows up in the measurements too: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANRE600.pdf

* Because there´s no bass to balance out the treble.
** This is often done to emulate the sensation of bass coming from speakers/open headphones, i.e. when the air hits your ears etc. With IEMs the air only moves inside your ear canals so many think it doesn´t feel the same without a boost. I personally also prefer this kind of bass boost, but with the RE600 the treble is so polite that it doesn´t bother me (the balance is good).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #880 of 902
Picked up the RE600S v2 in the Black Friday specials. Wow, these are terrible, terrible IEM/earphones. No bass of any kind, little midrange and shockingly harsh, piercing treble.…
I too decided to get in on the Black Friday special although I went with the balanced plug RE-600 v2. Sound should be identical. I too vote for a bad seal. Personally, all the double flange ear tips included in the box along with whatever other tips were in there are awful with none giving me a decent seal. The white-ish clear-ish tips included in the additional cheap case were the only ones that gave me a seal. With a seal there's quite a bit of bass and a mellow, smooth midrange and highs.

I've only listened for about a half hour to these because I wanted to get at least 100 hours of burn-in. And find better ear tips for a more comfortable seal. But I'm quite happy with the sound I've heard so far.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #881 of 902
Same here, the white-ish large silicon tips from the extra pouch were the only ones that gave me a seal. The default double-flange ones etc. all resulted in no bass. If you have Sony tips I can also recommend trying those; worked great for me with the original RE 400 back in the day. The overall RE 600 tonality should be like a RE 400 with more bass emphasis/more euphonic mids-oriented sound.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #882 of 902
You were right, with the bigger tips the sound is much better. Still not sure if I want to keep them--still treble-heavy, but at least they're not as outlandishly horrific as they seemed out of the box. I also ended up using the silicon tips for the best fit--angled on my left ear and straight large on my right.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #883 of 902
You were right, with the bigger tips the sound is much better. Still not sure if I want to keep them--still treble-heavy, but at least they're not as outlandishly horrific as they seemed out of the box. I also ended up using the silicon tips for the best fit--angled on my left ear and straight large on my right.

Sounds like you have a better seal now, but I´d keep trying different tips as I´d guess you still have a somewhat sub-optimal seal taking some bass out of the signature and thus tilting tonality towards treble. The treble on these should sound quite relaxed and polite, there´s no V-shape at all in the tuning (starts rolling off after 6-7 kHz or so).

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #884 of 902
It looks like the Comply tips size 400 that I use with my V-Moda Remixes will fit the RE600S, so I'll give them a try and see if that gets a better seal.

EDIT: Yeah, with the Comply tips the sound is pretty good. I think I finally got a good seal. I'm not confident that the audio quality is any better than the V-Modas, which cost a fraction of the RE600S, but at least they're not godawful any more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back