HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Dec 27, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #856 of 902
 Quote:
Any other owner here having the glossy coating is flaking off? I started using mine after a long hiatus, where I finally got the bent jack replaced. Then I noticed the gloss coating the shells are peeling off, exposing just a black matte shell like the re400. This doesn't affect the sound, but it's really losing its premium look
frown.gif
any other way to get the gloss back?

Yes, had the same issue (the image is enclosed).

On top of that, one of the units got "split-up" - it looks like they used low-quality glue...

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #859 of 902
Hi I'm about to decide to get a new pair iems. Anybody tried these:

Hifiman RE600 V2
Final audio heaven vi, vii, vii
Grado gr10e

I'm listening to vocals all the time...any advice?

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #860 of 902
I just bought the hifiman re-600s v2 by mistake. I realized these are the ones meant to be used with a dap with a balanced output. I unfortunately do not have one. Could someone tell me if I located the little short extension cable convertor that comes with the re-600 v2 version this would change the re-600s I have to a re-600?

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #861 of 902
  I just bought the hifiman re-600s v2 by mistake. I realized these are the ones meant to be used with a dap with a balanced output. I unfortunately do not have one. Could someone tell me if I located the little short extension cable convertor that comes with the re-600 v2 version this would change the re-600s I have to a re-600?

Hopefully my memory is correct. I thought the "S" was/is single ended. The 600 (NO S) is the balanced version that comes with the balanced to single ended adapter.

Maybe I am remembering correctly...

"The RE-600 has a balanced connection, it does come with an adapter for regular use. The RE-600s doesn't come with a balanced connection, if you only plan on using these IEMs for your iphone then the RE-600s is the better choice. If you ever plan to go balanced and purchase a Hifiman DAP then it would be better to get the RE-600"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744826/what-s-the-difference-between-hifiman-re-600s-vs-songbird-same

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #862 of 902
That's correct, the RE600S is single ended. You can balance it if you reterminate the singled ended connector with a balanced one.  The adapters that comes with the RE600 converts the balanced connection to single ended - doesn't go the other way.  Suggest returning it or selling it for the RE600 if you want balanced.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #863 of 902
I think that he really wants/needs the S version, which is the one he bought.

"I just bought the hifiman re-600s v2"

"I realized these are the ones meant to be used with a dap with a balanced output. "

Wrong!  He got the single ended version!

He definitely needs what he has... meaning he has the correct model for what he is looking for.. unless I am way misreading his post. Which I doubt seriously..

wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #864 of 902
I think the 600s (what I have) is made to use if you are using the hifiman players (I'm not and won't be). It sounds horrible out of my portable cd player. The version I need is the 600 which is made more for mass market use. I had this version (re-600) a year ago and it sounded wonderful from my same source. It had a little 4 inch cable converter with it to make it compatible with ipod, iphone and sony cd players-which I understand are non-balanced.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #865 of 902
  I think the 600s (what I have) is made to use if you are using the hifiman players (I'm not and won't be). It sounds horrible out of my portable cd player. The version I need is the 600 which is made more for mass market use. I had this version (re-600) a year ago and it sounded wonderful from my same source. It had a little 4 inch cable converter with it to make it compatible with ipod, iphone and sony cd players-which I understand are non-balanced.

No, you're wrong.
Both versions are the same. The only difference is r600s is terminated with standard 3pin jack, while r600 is terminated with 4pin jack (for balanced outputs) but still has balanced to unbalanced adapter.
So basically those are the exact same IEMs but r600 has the OPTION to use it also on balanced sources/amps.

If you're r600s sound horrible - you've got defective pair or you need to experiment with different tipses (changing tips in IEMs can have huuuge impact on sound quality) or you need to try different source/amp (less likely).

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #866 of 902
So I think I need that balanced to unbalanced cable that comes with the re-600.  I have owned the re-600 a year ago so I know about the tip rolling thing. The re-600 sounded excellent. It still could be that I have a defective pair cause they still sound like a 20 dollar pair from the drugstore. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #867 of 902
I recently bought the Re-600, I have had 3 replacements, two in-store and my last one from Hi-Fi man.   I'm not 100% sure if the two in-store were v1's, but I can comment they didn't last a week.   I'm a week into the V2 versions, so fingers crossed that Hifiman figured out the cause.    Anyone have issues with there V2 cables, for $200 the sound is great, but not if the quality is this horrendous!

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #868 of 902
I purchased these IEM for a month and I have to say that with Onkyo DP-X1 (Blalanced/AGC) the sound is fantastic. I hope in their durability...
I have to purchase a connector from Moon Audio for balanced connection that costs me as the IEM itself... but it worths all the money that it costs.
I use them extremely carefully... hope they do not break.

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #869 of 902
To anyone that received their RE-600 V2 IEMs can you tell me if the box or any of the packing materials say V2? I just received an order from Amazon and cannot figure out if they are V1 or V2. The box just says RE-600 which makes me think they are the V1 headphones. I have been trying to contact Hifiman today but no one there ever seems to answer the phone. I have left two messages. It seems to me that somewhere on the box it would say V2. Anyone have the same experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back