HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Oct 10, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #496 of 902
Hi proedros -- Be sure to let us (ME!) know how you like them. My RE-262s bit the dust at work this week and the RE-Zeros just don't give the same magical listening experience (imo of course).

I've owned 2 pairs of RE-262s: the first lasted 1 year and the replacement lasted 2 years and 8 months. There are no replacement parts at Head-Direct and any new pairs are long gone. The worst part is, there seems to be no clear upgrade from them besides the RE-600 (pricey) or stepping into entry-level customs (which I'm not willing to do right now). Are there others to even consider? If I were to make myself the perfect IEM, it would have a touch more sub bass, a teeny tiny bit more treble, and a dB or two off the upper mids (which can be a bit much at times, especially with high-pitched guitar solos or when someone is whistling -- case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnano_HCuY ). For me the RE-262 sound sig is nearly perfect. I can listen to them for hours at a time with zero fatigue.

Is everyone's 262 failing the same way? In both cases I was getting intermittent signal from one driver (or both) during insertion/removal/adjustment that got progressively worse over a few days of use until they died. It doesn't sound like the driver is tearing. When there is signal, the sound is perfectly normal! I'm toying with the idea of attempting a repair on my own on the off chance that it's a solder joint or driver lead issue. I've repaired a few universal IEMs in the past, but none this close to my heart :p Any thoughts or insight (or disassembly guides) would be greatly appreciated!

-KF

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #497 of 902
i just received my re600 so i will get back with impressions after some burn-in

what i remember from a 10-day tryout a few months ago was that re600 sounded like an improved 262 - whether a increase over 200$ is justified relies on the buyer - for 300$ BNIB i thought they were worth it,as people have spoken highly of them and cable matters aside, Hifiman has been constantly producing the top bang-for-buck iems the last few years

you can also search for a used re-272 , 3 years now this remainsmy favourite HF iem of all (and i have owned re-zero/252/262/272/400)

you can also try recabling them if you like them so much - i found Vesper Audio here in Europe (Russia) and i think someone mentioned a people or two in the US

Quote:
Hi proedros -- Be sure to let us (ME!) know how you like them. My RE-262s bit the dust at work this week and the RE-Zeros just don't give the same magical listening experience (imo of course).

I've owned 2 pairs of RE-262s: the first lasted 1 year and the replacement lasted 2 years and 8 months. There are no replacement parts at Head-Direct and any new pairs are long gone. The worst part is, there seems to be no clear upgrade from them besides the RE-600 (pricey) or stepping into entry-level customs (which I'm not willing to do right now). Are there others to even consider? If I were to make myself the perfect IEM, it would have a touch more sub bass, a teeny tiny bit more treble, and a dB or two off the upper mids (which can be a bit much at times, especially with high-pitched guitar solos or when someone is whistling -- case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnano_HCuY ). For me the RE-262 sound sig is nearly perfect. I can listen to them for hours at a time with zero fatigue.

Is everyone's 262 failing the same way? In both cases I was getting intermittent signal from one driver (or both) during insertion/removal/adjustment that got progressively worse over a few days of use until they died. It doesn't sound like the driver is tearing. When there is signal, the sound is perfectly normal! I'm toying with the idea of attempting a repair on my own on the off chance that it's a solder joint or driver lead issue. I've repaired a few universal IEMs in the past, but none this close to my heart
tongue.gif
Any thoughts or insight (or disassembly guides) would be greatly appreciated!

-KF

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #498 of 902
2 days in , i love what i am hearing

after my disappointment with re400 (perhaps i got a defective pair?) Hifiman are back with a winner

i wonder what Fang has up his sleeve for the next iem

one question to older re600 owners

what tips do you guys find best for use / did you see any burn-in improvement ?

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #499 of 902

after my disappointment with re400 (perhaps i got a defective pair?) Hifiman are back with a winner

Forgot about burn in.  I use the single-flange tips with the little bar in them.  

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #501 of 902
RE-600S are standard unbalanced plug, like this:

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #502 of 902

i tend to use complys, cant say i wildly remeber much burn in change.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #503 of 902

i tend to use complys, cant say i wildly remeber much burn in change.

mark, don't complys tend to 'muffle' the already gentle highs ?

do you have any 'tips' on how to listen to the re600 ?

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #504 of 902
well a tiny bit they do.  i tend to always err towards brighter daps anyway (the studio) so for me its good.  im fairly treble sensitive and get sinus issues so a little softened is fine and the lack of tight rubber seals on my ears i generally prefer.

foamy tips are just quicker and easier to shove in my ears and not have to sensitively place them.

as for tips, hmmmmm.  well i tend to always like pairing warm iems to cooler daps so that.  otherwise, err im not really sure, the 600 was protty easy to get along with and easy to make it sing.  adding 75ohms was nice to eliminate any hiss.  errr think that was about it, it was really easy to get along with.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #505 of 902
I use the white mid-sized ones. Gives me the best seal, comfort and SQ.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #508 of 902
you need to liste to the RE-600
tongue.gif

Quote:

Is everyone's 262 failing the same way? In both cases I was getting intermittent signal from one driver (or both) during insertion/removal/adjustment that got progressively worse over a few days of use until they died. It doesn't sound like the driver is tearing. When there is signal, the sound is perfectly normal! I'm toying with the idea of attempting a repair on my own on the off chance that it's a solder joint or driver lead issue. I've repaired a few universal IEMs in the past, but none this close to my heart
tongue.gif
Any thoughts or insight (or disassembly guides) would be greatly appreciated!

-KF

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #510 of 902
amazon has a used-like new, with full warranty from a respectable shop for 300$

i guess this is quite a nice deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DY8BMZ2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&colid=BKCAT754U053&condition=used&coliid=I1F9N1ZC9RBC9O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back