HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Nov 27, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #752 of 902
Currently using an Ipod Classic 7G + Cayin C5 with my RE-600 and although it sounds quite good, I'm wondering if the DX90 or HM-700 would be a significant source upgrade.

Can I just ask, did u get a balanced connection on the c5? U did not have to use the adaptor to plug into the C5? just straight from the re600 trrs 3.5mm balanced jack? Appreciate the confirmation.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #753 of 902
Even if trrs works on a typical stereo jack, you wilk not getting a balanced sound.

Really haven't heard a balanced sound, so I dunno if its worth it. I got sick of the trrs adapter, so when I recabled my re600, I settled for stereo jack. Despite that, I am loving the sound with pha-1a. I can't count the great moments I've had listening wih them, and theyre not just nods of appreciation, but more like glimpses of heaven :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #754 of 902
Even if trrs works on a typical stereo jack, you wilk not getting a balanced sound.

Really haven't heard a balanced sound, so I dunno if its worth it. I got sick of the trrs adapter, so when I recabled my re600, I settled for stereo jack. Despite that, I am loving the sound with pha-1a. I can't count the great moments I've had listening wih them, and theyre not just nods of appreciation, but more like glimpses of heaven :)

Just to follow up. The Cayin C5 does support the trrs balanced jack. is it balanced or not, then im not sure. just that i get more soundstage, clarity and crispy highs. slightly to the warmer side i feel.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #755 of 902
Well I just received my pair, I purchased these direct from HIFIMAN via Amazon. I love the sound but as good as the sound is, the cable's lower part after the split is the worst thing I have ever seen. It looks and feels like it has been through hell or it's just really bad quality control or a returned refurbished unit.

It has 9 kinks/bulges in it that I counted. I can’t believe this is normal?  If you slide your hands across the cable it’s not smooth but you hit/feel these bumps. I looked closely and they appear to be the cable beneath sticking out though the sleeve. Some look like burns. This is only on the lower part after the split to the jack. The upper part after the split is fine.

I have email this to picture to HIFIMAN's support to see what their reply is. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #756 of 902
  Well I just received my pair, I purchased these direct from HIFIMAN via Amazon. I love the sound but as good as the sound is, the cable's lower part after the split is the worst thing I have ever seen. It looks and feels like it has been through hell or it's just really bad quality control or a returned refurbished unit.

It has 9 kinks/bulges in it that I counted. I can’t believe this is normal?  If you slide your hands across the cable it’s not smooth but you hit/feel these bumps. I looked closely and they appear to be the cable beneath sticking out though the sleeve. Some look like burns. This is only on the lower part after the split to the jack. The upper part after the split is fine.

I purchased these as soon as they came out so mine were certainly brand new but the cable still lasted only a few weeks even though I'm generally very careful with my equipment. It's by far the worst cable I have ever had on any headphones - even the cheapest ones lasted much longer than that. It's really too bad because otherwise these are very nice sounding phones (if you like neutral).

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #757 of 902
  Sounds pretty kinky to me.   But hey, I like kinky. 
L3000.gif

Bwahahaa! Funny, good one. I like kinky too but not in my audio equipment. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #758 of 902

I purchased these as soon as they came out so mine were certainly brand new but the cable still lasted only a few weeks even though I'm generally very careful with my equipment. It's by far the worst cable I have ever had on any headphones - even the cheapest ones lasted much longer than that. It's really too bad because otherwise these are very nice sounding phones (if you like neutral).

There are bran new so I'm very shocked no one else has stated this issue.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #760 of 902
Ok, I never read that stated specifically but then again it's hard to read every single post, I missed it likely. I mostly keep reading people saying how they failed or broke at the connection but not that there were were kinks or bumps in the cable specifically. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #761 of 902

This has been discussed way back (maybe even very early in this same thread). I certainly remember that I complained about it but there were few others as well.

I searched all your posts and they never said anything about these bumps and kinks? This was all I found;

" I had the same problem with my RE-600 - it is the worst cable I have seen for any IEM over $100. Ended up having to send the phones to Moon Audio to re-terminate (I only wanted single ended so that whole mess with 2 cables just to get single ended was a joke)."

Anyways, you sent them to Moon to redo? How much was that, how do they sound compared to factory and do you have a pic of them? Would like to see how they look.

Thank you. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #762 of 902
  I searched all your posts and they never said anything about these bumps and kinks? This was all I found;

" I had the same problem with my RE-600 - it is the worst cable I have seen for any IEM over $100. Ended up having to send the phones to Moon Audio to re-terminate (I only wanted single ended so that whole mess with 2 cables just to get single ended was a joke)."

Anyways, you sent them to Moon to redo? How much was that, how do they sound compared to factory and do you have a pic of them? Would like to see how they look.

Thank you. 

You are right that I never said anything about bumps and kinks -  I was not talking about that specifically so I apologize if you wasted your time searching (I figured just saying it's the worst cable I ever bought was enough to perhaps warn few other people before buying).

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #763 of 902

You are right that I never said anything about bumps and kinks -  I was not talking about that specifically so I apologize if you wasted your time searching (I figured just saying it's the worst cable I ever bought was enough to perhaps warn few other people before buying).

It's ok. But I agree with you they are the worst I've ever seen also. Anyways, you sent them to Moon to redo? How much was that, how do they sound compared to factory and do you have a pic of them? Would like to see how they look.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #764 of 902
  It's ok. But I agree with you they are the worst I've ever seen also. Anyways, you sent them to Moon to redo? How much was that, how do they sound compared to factory and do you have a pic of them? Would like to see how they look.

I think it was around $50 to re-terminate. I still have them and will try to remember to take a pic and post tonight when I get back home.
By the way, I no longer use RE-600 - moved on to Tralucent 1plus2 next and then most recently to Ref1 which are perfect with my Tera player (for sure my end game combo - and it better be given how much it all cost).

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #765 of 902

You may not have noticed, but HiFiMAN IEMs come with a free tranquilizer.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist 
wink.gif
From my experience, support is pretty good though. Hope they'll send you a replacement.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back