Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jun 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,036 of 3,507
I hope they'll have the RE-600 at the HiFiMAN event in New York in about 2 weeks. If so, I'll post impressions. :D

And hopefully finally hear the RE-400 and HE-400.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,037 of 3,507
Quote:
I hope they'll have the RE-600 at the HiFiMAN event in New York in about 2 weeks. If so, I'll post impressions.
biggrin.gif

And hopefully finally hear the RE-400 and HE-400.

According to what I have heard they should. In fact, considering that Dr Fang is coming and they said they are bringing their entire line, I'd be rather surprised if they didn't.

And anyone who is in the NY Metro area and has time on June 27th from 7-9 (maybe 10?) feel free to RSVP for the event. https://www.facebook.com/events/383162491793887/383239901786146/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #1,038 of 3,507
Quote:
yeah, there are two small dual flanges, one large dual flange, some small single flanges, i think. on another note, i noticed in some songs, the bass doesn't quite have the impact i'd like. normally i'm against eq, but i kind of how things sound with a +3 db bass boost.

Isn't the mp3 players or amplifiers natural sonic curvature the same as EQ'ing, except static and unmovable? The same could be said for earphones. That's why, to me at least, everyone is talking about the finer details of each IEM. If no one was comparing them and saying this one had more bass and that one had a more clarity then no one would know which one to pick based on their preferences, EQ range of their output devices, and their music.

That said, I'm a newbie to this whole thing. I'm a musician and an avid music fan obviously, and I can hear the difference between a £20 pair and a £200 pair, but that's about the extent of it.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,039 of 3,507
I'm getting hungry. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,040 of 3,507
Guys, I actually got my pair of RE-400 just about three hours ago. Guess what, I'd say they're one of the best IEM ~$100. Well, I do know they're $99, but still, you know what I mean. I think they will be my on-the-go IEM instead of the good ol' Phonak Audeo PFE 012 with grey filters.

Now, I'm actually interested in $399 RE-600... great.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,042 of 3,507
This RE-400 thingie has such an incredible soundstage. 3D is probably the best way to describe it. Imaging is spectacular - you'll never wonder what instrument is playing where; yet at the same time, they're all integrated so beautiful so as to not sound analytical. It's not overly creamy, not yet overly dry.

Right now, if I don't EQ it, it doesn't have as much treble as I would like, unfortunately, and it's a bit warmer than my ideal. With EQ, if you were to tell me these cost $100 I'd seriously laugh; and if you were to tell me they were $300, I'd call it a great value, considering the ER4S costs about just as much, and I'm liking my EQ'd RE-400 much more! With the current EQ setting, it surpasses my ER4S in terms of sheer musicality and immersion so easily it's not even funny; although, it's been mentioned quite often that the ER4S scales up very well with better gear. Unfortunately, I haven't the resources to do that yet. Cymbals just sooo natural and right, compared to that of the more metallic sounding ER4S and GR07.

I'm going to let these play for at least 48 more hours before I say anything else. So far, they've only been in my ears for 2 hours. I'm really hoping these will get brighter with burn-in.

Ohhh... this is delicious...

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,043 of 3,507
The CX300 have no treble and flat when I A/B it against the RE400. But some may dislike the RE400's bass, it is of great clarity and quality but lacks impact imo. Overall the RE400 stand quite well against my other iems like the gr07 and sm2, it is not as good but very close in overall performance. Consider its $99 pricetag, it is a steal.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,044 of 3,507
Quote:
This RE-400 thingie has such an incredible soundstage. 3D is probably the best way to describe it. Imaging is spectacular - you'll never wonder what instrument is playing where; yet at the same time, they're all integrated so beautiful so as to not sound analytical. It's not overly creamy, not yet overly dry.

Right now, if I don't EQ it, it doesn't have as much treble as I would like, unfortunately, and it's a bit warmer than my ideal. With EQ, if you were to tell me these cost $100 I'd seriously laugh; and if you were to tell me they were $300, I'd call it a great value, considering the ER4S costs about just as much, and I'm liking my EQ'd RE-400 much more! With the current EQ setting, it surpasses my ER4S in terms of sheer musicality and immersion so easily it's not even funny; although, it's been mentioned quite often that the ER4S scales up very well with better gear. Unfortunately, I haven't the resources to do that yet. Cymbals just sooo natural and right, compared to that of the more metallic sounding ER4S and GR07.

I'm going to let these play for at least 48 more hours before I say anything else. So far, they've only been in my ears for 2 hours. I'm really hoping these will get brighter with burn-in.

Ohhh... this is delicious...

could you give exactly how to replicate this eq? curious to try it. i know it's the graphic eq in foobar, but i was hoping to get the exact db amounts for the different bands.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,045 of 3,507
Quote:
could you give exactly how to replicate this eq? curious to try it. i know it's the graphic eq in foobar, but i was hoping to get the exact db amounts for the different bands.

4k-20k +8
3.15k   +6.6
2.5k     +5.3
2k        +4
1.6k     +2.6
1.25k   +1.3
1k       +0
800     +0
630     -.3
500     -.6
400     -.9
315     -1.1
250     -1.3
200     -1.5
160     -1.7
125     -1.9
100     -2
80      -1.9
63      -1.7
50      -1.3
40      -.9
31.5   -.4
25     +.1
20     +.7

This is with the foobar2k plugin that has 30 bands. Keep in mind that these are still burning in. In a couple days, these settings may be different. I'm using the stock bi-flange, which I find very nice and fits my ears quite well.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,046 of 3,507
Quote:
for me, it's not the tonality or balance, it's just more the lack of impact/rumble on certain low notes. sometimes you expect thunder but instead you just get a little thump, if that makes sense.

The GR07 does that quite well, but the GR07 is also quite bassier than neutral. Something about the driver in GR07 that controls sub-bass effortlessly. Bass isn't a priority for me, though.

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #1,047 of 3,507
Quote:
The GR07 does that quite well, but the GR07 is also quite bassier than neutral. Something about the driver in GR07 that controls sub-bass effortlessly. Bass isn't a priority for me, though.

i agree with both points, having come from the gr07 to these. that stated, i feel like there are areas where the gr07's are better and areas that the re-400's are better, and i honestly like them about the same. i possibly might like the re-400's even more once the initial adjustment period is over.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,048 of 3,507
Quote:
I haven't heard the sm2, but I owned the SM3, and have to say that I have never heard a worse sounding headphone. SM3's vocals rendering makes me cringe and is literally the most inaccurate thing I've ever heard.

I returned the sm3v2s the second day I got them. Joker rate these above the um3x and personally I strongly disagree.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,049 of 3,507
Something happened to mine, I think when I took my tip off, but I'm not sure.  Here are some pics.  I know they included some replacement filters, which are at home and I'm at work, so I will repair when I get home.  My question is about the white foam inside.  I assume that I need to leave that in there, correct?  At first I thought it was some fuzzball that had gotten inside my tips, but then realized that it was part of the IEM.  Is sound quality affected if I take it out?  Do people take it out of theirs and prefer the sound?  Thanks in advance for the answers. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,050 of 3,507
Quote:
Something happened to mine, I think when I took my tip off, but I'm not sure.  Here are some pics.  I know they included some replacement filters, which are at home and I'm at work, so I will repair when I get home.  My question is about the white foam inside.  I assume that I need to leave that in there, correct?  At first I thought it was some fuzzball that had gotten inside my tips, but then realized that it was part of the IEM.  Is sound quality affected if I take it out?  Do people take it out of theirs and prefer the sound?  Thanks in advance for the answers. 

It's probably a dampener. So yes, if you take that out the sound will be affected. If I had to guess, I'd say it would make it brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back