Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Nov 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,478 of 3,507
  I found the tips that came with the RE-400s to be pure rubbish. Luckily, I had quite a few spare tips leftover from my defective pair of Brainwavz R3s, and they fit the 400s just fine. 

very interesting... i shall try myself! good tip *pun intended*!!! i don't have to many wider bore eartips (most of mines are fairly narrow) ie the gr07s/vsd sony hybrids etc..
The stock tips don't work great for me either. I'm interested in 3rd party tip options.

try these:
this isn't exactly what i used before but i can't find the same seller no more:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-pair-Memory-Foam-Soft-Replacement-Eartips-Earpiece-for-Earphones-Handsfree-/321421737717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=510293515659&hash=item4ad63a7ef5

maybe some aftermarket sony hybrids? again the seller i got em from is no longer available (sorry) here i think is a close one
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Pairs-Silicone-Hybrid-Replacement-Earbuds-Eartips-for-Sony-XBA-MDR-DR-Series-/281285667993?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item417deeac99

Great to hear your experience....if I decide to try 3rd party different tips, is there a specific size I should seek?

maybe a bit bigger? thats all i could really say from my personal experience cause i felt the stock biflanges to be a small (wish hifiman made different size of those, they felt like a really well made silicone tip!
  ^^ If you haven't tried them yet, I'd recommend Sony Hybrids

yes they fit my ear very nicely, but i think they tame off the top end more than i like, the bass boost they give is nice though.

i was thinking really long and hard when using them with my re400s but in the end, the treblehead in me couldn't do it!

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,479 of 3,507
Thanks for all of the suggestions on tips. I'll pick a set and report back.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,482 of 3,507
Nope.  It's equally hard taking off.  Just be careful and grab around the housing only and not near the rubber strain relief housing as these are notorious of breaking off (doesn't effect sound) from the housing - a big boo on the cable relief construction.  Sadly, applies to both models.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,483 of 3,507
It seems like I picked a decent introduction to IEM's with the RE-400's.  There are times where I am pretty amazed that these are in-ears, not on-ear headphones.  Had I been willing to try IEM's three years ago, it might have saved me some time when I was trying to move beyond the Grado 225i's I started with.

The experience is unlike my big planars, but it seems to be equally good.  The "in my head" soundstage is great, and I really enjoy it, and the detail is impressive.  I could use a tad more bass, but overall it's very detailed and articulate.

The Comply tips so far are pretty good.

All-in-all, these will work for a while.  Glad I read this thread!

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,484 of 3,507
Hi everyone,
I recently brought the re400 at the headfi meet in new York from hifiman booth for a generous price(30%off). It didn't come with anything just the earphones. I wanted to ask if anybody has an issue with the left driver? it seems that the right is louder then the left? Is it normal? Is it in my mind? Or should I contact hifiman for a replacement? Thank you everybody!

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,485 of 3,507
Hi everyone,
I recently brought the re400 at the headfi meet in new York from hifiman booth for a generous price(30%off). It didn't come with anything just the earphones. I wanted to ask if anybody has an issue with the left driver? it seems that the right is louder then the left? Is it normal? Is it in my mind? Or should I contact hifiman for a replacement? Thank you everybody!

Easiest way to check is by swapping the left and right ear pieces(
left channel now feeding your right ear and vice versa) while ensuring a proper seal. And use a sine sweep.

Use the driver matching test found at this link : http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,486 of 3,507
I just got the RE-600 from RazorDogAudio, and I am very impressed, especially with the comfort and soundstage.  These are the first IEMs that I have ever heard that are worth more than a dollar.  I have a really dumb question.  How do I remove the tips?  I tried gently pulling and twisting them, and nothing seems to be happening.  I don't want to force them off, and the guide that came with them doesn't mention removing tips.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #2,487 of 3,507
I just got the RE-600 from RazorDogAudio, and I am very impressed, especially with the comfort and soundstage.  These are the first IEMs that I have ever heard that are worth more than a dollar.  I have a really dumb question.  How do I remove the tips?  I tried gently pulling and twisting them, and nothing seems to be happening.  I don't want to force them off, and the guide that came with them doesn't mention removing tips.

Just grab onto the earpiece and yank them off. They're not made out of paper mâché. Lol

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,488 of 3,507
Easiest way to check is by swapping the left and right ear pieces([COLOR=333333]left channel now feeding your right ear and vice versa[/COLOR]) while ensuring a proper seal. And use a sine sweep.

Use the driver matching test found at this link : http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Thank you for the info.

After all this I still feel that the sound is more prominent on the right speaker. I switched between right and left ear and still feel the left speaker is quieter then the right. The sound is not center is more towards the right side of my head.
Can sinus be the problem?

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #2,489 of 3,507
Thank you for the info.

After all this I still feel that the sound is more prominent on the right speaker. I switched between right and left ear and still feel the left speaker is quieter then the right. Can sinus be the problem?

I think it's likely that the left earpiece is defective. I would contact them and send it in for a replacement.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2,490 of 3,507

Nice to see you are enjoying them.
Try squeezing the end of the eartip tightly(just above the end of the earphone nozzle) and then removing them at an angle. Same for putting them on. This works for my RE400 which shares the same housing and tips.

Thank you for the info.

After all this I still feel that the sound is more prominent on the right speaker. I switched between right and left ear and still feel the left speaker is quieter then the right. The sound is not center is more towards the right side of my head.
Can sinus be the problem?

If, when you swap the earpiece (L/R), the more prominent channel also sounds swapped, the defect is with the earphone. Contact Hifiman Customer care.

If, when you swap the earpiece (L/R), the more prominent channel does not sound swapped(i.e. in the same ear), then it could be a case of earwax build-up or an oncoming infection/cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back