Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Mar 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,076 of 3,507
  ^I've seen that recabled RE-600.  You're not going to get a "factory look".  I hate to say it, but getting a recabled factory look is next to impossible unless you use the same RE-600 cable.  The RE-600 cable was made specifically for it and no other iem on the market that I know of uses it.  The benefits of recabling it yields long term durability.  Most cable failures don't occur within the cable, but with the cable soldered to the connector, or at the other end of the cable where the solder points on the drivers. I would first replace the 3.5mm TRRS connector with a much higher quality one and retain the original cable for that factory look.  I've replaced the TRRS connector on a few RE-600 and the wires soldered to the stock connector is not that secure nor robust.

What I mean by factory is any factory looking cable, does not have to be by HIFIMAN. The cable can look like a Westone or Shure, a cable with a molded sealed jack and a molded split. I don't like these twisted open cables and nutrik huge plugs, looks very second hand and homely/nasty. For example, if someone could put a Weston 3 cable on the RE-600's that would look somewhat a factory type as the cable is by a manufacturer. That is what I mean, sorry I was not clear.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,077 of 3,507
  What does it look like? I want them to retain the factory look and appeal.

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/SPC-Midnight-IEM-Cable/p/15566471/category=12112627

Here's the model I got. Might not be exactly what you're looking for. In my opinion, it puts the stock RE600 cable to shame both aesthetically and functionally.

My one caveat with Brian, he's a busy dude, sometimes you have to email him a couple times to get a response but my understanding is he's got more time to focus on BTG audio now than when I had mine recabled.

It's worth a shot, his cables are 10000000% more durable than the stock one which has quite possibly one of the worst cables of any IEM costing over $50. My $20 Dunu IEMs have a better cable.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,078 of 3,507
  http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/SPC-Midnight-IEM-Cable/p/15566471/category=12112627

Here's the model I got. Might not be exactly what you're looking for. In my opinion, it puts the stock RE600 cable to shame both aesthetically and functionally.

My one caveat with Brian, he's a busy dude, sometimes you have to email him a couple times to get a response but my understanding is he's got more time to focus on BTG audio now than when I had mine recabled.

It's worth a shot, his cables are 10000000% more durable than the stock one which has quite possibly one of the worst cables of any IEM costing over $50. My $20 Dunu IEMs have a better cable.

Yeah that looks kinda nasty, regardless how it sounds. ~sigh.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #3,079 of 3,507
  What does it look like? I want them to retain the factory look and appeal.

Vesper audio is a name that pops up often for Hifiman recabling.
I haven't used their service, but the recabled RE600 shown in their website gallery looks decent. Maybe contact them for more info?

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,081 of 3,507
go_quote.gif

BINGO!!! Thank you!!!

Update: Crud they are not even in the U.S.?!

Do they ship internationally? I'm in Europe.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #3,083 of 3,507
does anyone have spare filters that come with their hifiman re400/re600s?

I would love to take them off yours hands if they are sitting around in your drawers.

Let me know how much, (pm me) 

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #3,084 of 3,507
Hi all,

The two smallest black tips that came with my re-400 seem to have a thin bit (of the same material) intersecting the circular cross section of the tip, effectively dividing the space enclosed in it, into two equal parts. Is that normal? None of the numerous other tips have that feature... Thanks

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,086 of 3,507

Apart from tensile strength of the cable itself (it can be used even to drag a house) the work on the photo in your post is poor. No bend relief, some holes where the cable enters earphones. Seems like cable is fixed only by soldering. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but that is not a professional recabling.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #3,087 of 3,507

Apart from tensile strength of the cable itself (it can be used even to drag a house) the work on the photo in your post is poor. No bend relief, some holes where the cable enters earphones. Seems like cable is fixed only by soldering. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but that is not a professional recabling.

That is what I thought too. Looks cheap and cheezy. Worse than factory looking.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #3,088 of 3,507

Yeah that's not my cable so may apply to that example but my cats have knocked my pair off my desk and played with it while I was at work before, no damage done. My specific cable has a different termination with a strain relief.

That said, unless you US folks feel like dealing with the wait and price of international shipping, he is the only person in the US I found willing to recable the RE-600. Found it quite hard to get a hold of him now so I don't know if I'd recommend him at this point.

Due to their stock durability I wouldn't recommend the RE-600s to anyone, period. Also the balanced TRRS is hardly compatible with anything except HFM DAPs and HFM don't sell a replacement adapter and I can't find anywhere that makes one. Loved them for a while but they'll likely just gather dust.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3,089 of 3,507
  Yeah that's not my cable so may apply to that example but my cats have knocked my pair off my desk and played with it while I was at work before, no damage done. My specific cable has a different termination with a strain relief.

That said, unless you US folks feel like dealing with the wait and price of international shipping, he is the only person in the US I found willing to recable the RE-600. Found it quite hard to get a hold of him now so I don't know if I'd recommend him at this point.

Due to their stock durability I wouldn't recommend the RE-600s to anyone, period. Also the balanced TRRS is hardly compatible with anything except HFM DAPs and HFM don't sell a replacement adapter and I can't find anywhere that makes one. Loved them for a while but they'll likely just gather dust.

I sadly agree. HIFIMAN blew it with this line. I ordered the Ostry KC06 as it gets compared to the RE-600 a lot. Hopefully the KC06A are the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back