Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Feb 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,061 of 3,507
I've tried the "no foam, filter only" setup for several months and only really notice a slight increase in sparkle in the mid to top highs.
I couldn't really get much deep insertion due to the strain reliefs. The deepest I can get is with the housing being just a bit past my tragus.
Running them stock currently.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #3,062 of 3,507
  I've tried the "no foam, filter only" setup for several months and only really notice a slight increase in sparkle in the mid to top highs.
I couldn't really get much deep insertion due to the strain reliefs. The deepest I can get is with the housing being just a bit past my tragus.
Running them stock currently.

Yes RERO I too experience the same, the treble increase with the "no foam, filter only" mod does increase the sparkle in a subtle way. More than this then the treble might be peaking all over the place. It does not increase the treble to Etymotic ER4S level though. However wilth deep insertion with smallest stock tips to about the second bend of my ear canal, the bass becomes much more pronounced to the point that I don't feel the bass lacking at all compared to shallow insertion. Then again YMMV because not everyone has the same ear canal.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #3,063 of 3,507
I use the smallest tips to get deep insertion....that's the whole point....deep insertion.....like the Etymotic ER4 type of insertion....ear rape for a better description :wink:  I've got the large Ortofon tips but still not as good as deep insertion with smallest stock tips.....YMMV because not all ears are created equal.

how are you getting deep insertions without bending the black strain relief or the rubber piece exiting the earpiece

i cant see doing this whether over the ear, or normally straight down

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #3,064 of 3,507
how are you getting deep insertions without bending the black strain relief or the rubber piece exiting the earpiece

i cant see doing this whether over the ear, or normally straight down

I wear them straight down and yes the strain relief is bent by a bit but there's no damage to the cable so far as long as you insert it gently. To get the IEM out, you'll need to pull gently on the cable too. Tom22, give it a try and let me know your opinion.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #3,065 of 3,507
I dont think their build are meant foe seep insertion. I tried myself, and it only got the strain reliefs loose, which is bad coz the cable next to the barrel are exposed to bending. Why not try the large bi-flanges? The tips are long to make a deep proper seal

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3,066 of 3,507
I dont think their build are meant foe seep insertion. I tried myself, and it only got the strain reliefs loose, which is bad coz the cable next to the barrel are exposed to bending. Why not try the large bi-flanges? The tips are long to make a deep proper seal

I do agree that the RE400 is certainly not built for deep insertion but boy was I surprised with it's sound with deep insertion. It definitely adds low mid body and low end weight to it's sound without affecting the mids and highs. It's probably due to the shape of my ear that I can actually achieve deep insertion with the RE400 right up till the second bend of my ear canal and surprisingly it's definitely much more comfortable than my Etymotic ER4. I've tried all types of tips from Comply, SpinFit, Spiral Dots and all the stock tips but none can actually give me the sweet sound of the deep insertion with the smallest stock tips. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,068 of 3,507
I wear them straight down and yes the strain relief is bent by a bit but there's no damage to the cable so far as long as you insert it gently. To get the IEM out, you'll need to pull gently on the cable too. Tom22, give it a try and let me know your opinion.

unfortunately i wouldnt risk doing it at least on my 1st gen version.

with rather hard strain reliefs. it would definitely snap

and yes they arent meant for deep insertion especially if u pull on the already fragile cable.

why not go triple flanges and get a deeper seal.

right now im using the rha dual density hybrids in the medium so i can grasp on the housing when removing and inserting

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #3,069 of 3,507
unfortunately i wouldnt risk doing it at least on my 1st gen version.

with rather hard strain reliefs. it would definitely snap

and yes they arent meant for deep insertion especially if u pull on the already fragile cable.

why not go triple flanges and get a deeper seal.

right now im using the rha dual density hybrids in the medium so i can grasp on the housing when removing and inserting

I've tried all types of tips single, double and triple flange but none sounds as good as the smallest black stock tips with deep insertion

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,070 of 3,507
I can't believe this. After 3 months of only using them 2-3 times and keeping them in a IEM case, the left side has failed. These are horrible. Love the sound but horrible build quality. I can't recommend them as I baby my audio equipment insanely well. Is there something else that is equal to the RE-600 so that when they fail again I can exchange for them?

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,071 of 3,507
I can't believe this. After 3 months of only using them 2-3 times and keeping them in a IEM case, the left side has failed. These are horrible. Love the sound but horrible build quality. I can't recommend them as I baby my audio equipment insanely well. Is there something else that is equal to the RE-600 so that when they fail again I can exchange for them?

I had a pair that failed after almost exactly a year. They replaced them for me without any grief. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,072 of 3,507

I had a pair that failed after almost exactly a year. They replaced them for me without any grief. 

I know this, I have a 3 year exchange warranty, but I don't want to keep going through this process. I guess I am looking for a solution that does not exist. If they can send me the housing and I can replace the drivers in the new housing with a new cable that is less fail proof.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #3,073 of 3,507
  I know this, I have a 3 year exchange warranty, but I don't want to keep going through this process. I guess I am looking for a solution that does not exist. If they can send me the housing and I can replace the drivers in the new housing with a new cable that is less fail proof.

Sent my pair to BTG audio to get a new cable, have had the new cable for over a year now and it's excellent.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #3,075 of 3,507
^I've seen that recabled RE-600.  You're not going to get a "factory look".  I hate to say it, but getting a recabled factory look is next to impossible unless you use the same RE-600 cable.  The RE-600 cable was made specifically for it and no other iem on the market that I know of uses it.  The benefits of recabling it yields long term durability.  Most cable failures don't occur within the cable, but with the cable soldered to the connector, or at the other end of the cable where the solder points on the drivers. I would first replace the 3.5mm TRRS connector with a much higher quality one and retain the original cable for that factory look.  I've replaced the TRRS connector on a few RE-600 and the wires soldered to the stock connector is not that secure nor robust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back