Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #288 of 3,507
You do not to start moaning at people because they are not agreeing with your speculation of the RE-400 and RE-252 being the same thing. The 252 have not been available for a while so it is hard to compare them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #289 of 3,507
I'm not moaning at all about any speculation .....maybe 2 different things entirely for all i know?  But that is what I wanted to know....

Yes I do realize that 252's have been gone for awhile.....also......Very hard to compare if no one has heard them. 

Just got frustrated with no responses.........I thought being Hifiman IEM ...Surely someone who loves these had to have?
+++++plus too many Bourbons the other night didn't help either ...so sorry for my hissy fit.......A thousand apologies......

Carry on as per normal.....
size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #292 of 3,507
Quote:
I'm not moaning at all about any speculation .....maybe 2 different things entirely for all i know?  But that is what I wanted to know....

Yes I do realize that 252's have been gone for awhile.....also......Very hard to compare if no one has heard them. 

Just got frustrated with no responses.........I thought being Hifiman IEM ...Surely someone who loves these had to have?
+++++plus too many Bourbons the other night didn't help either ...so sorry for my hissy fit.......A thousand apologies......

Carry on as per normal.....
size]

ClieOS would know if any.
He has a review unit of the RE 400 and probably still has the old RE 252-

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #293 of 3,507
RE252 and RE400 are not the same thing - that much I know. There have two different drivers. RE400's drivers are much smaller than that on RE252. Of course, they don't sound anything alike as well.

On a side note, RE252 and RE-ZERO are using the same transducers, if any of you are interested to know. HifiMan retuned RE252 for balanced audio and the end result is RE-ZERO.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #295 of 3,507
Sinquito.....How stupid of me.......Cleos......

Finally....Thanks Cleos.....I should have known better and asked you straight off ....lol.

So Re-Zero is the one thats 252 orientated.

Re400 then is quite different...
But from what I gathered reading I thought it had a typical Hifiman sound ....perhaps not as mid centric as 262 and not as crisp as my favourite...the 272.  Hence I thought ...Hey they may have brought back the 252 in a different shell.....remembering how wierd the that was...
Well Now I know for sure there different. The Drivers being smaller is interesting also, as i didnt know this.

Thanks for this Cleos, and good thinking Sinquito......

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #296 of 3,507
This should be a first: the final version of both RE400 (left) and RE600 (right)

RE600-03.jpg

For those who want a quick impression: RE600 (ptototype) is very close to RE400, but richer in detail, more upfront and musical though not as open in soundstage. I would think RE400 is closer (though not totally) to stage monitor tuning in a neutral way, while RE600 is more emotionally involved in comparison.

[UPDATE] After talking with Fang, apparently the RE600 I received is part of the prototype. His worker in China sent it out to me for sampling but forgot to mention it in the package while Fang is far away in Las Vegas (CES). The final version is still in tuning (so it won't be the same as the RE600 prototype I have now) and won't arrive until April or May. RE400 I received earlier is however the final version and is on sale now.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #297 of 3,507
I can agree with the re400 being a neutral/monitor sound. Unfortunatley I found it too polite. That combined with the soft note and small soundstage (both in width and height) made for a boring experience to me. I was hoping to hear about some of Fang's Hifiman magic in the re600. I'm left feeling underwhelmed.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #298 of 3,507
I can understand your point.

I think both new models mark a change from the more 'traditional' HifiMan sound (which is always trying to achieve a certain tuning goal. i.e. RE0 and RE272 for reference curve, RE262 for a more euphonic mid, etc) to a more universal sound. A sound that isn't necessary tailor to a particular strength but can be appreciated by more people regardless of preference. In a way it does make them less 'surprising', or even boring to an extent. But I also see them as in the same situation UM3X used to be in - boring to many who have listened to W3 before, but might ultimately earns the upper hand in the long run. They are kind of belongs to the more enduring of sound.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #299 of 3,507
Makes sense. I guess I'll have to wait for the next round of releases. I think it is the small soundstage and too polite treble that killed it for me. Perhaps I should try to find a used re272. I definitely enjoyed Fang's other turnings in the re0, re-zero and re262.

Btw, I greatly prefer the um3x over the w3 but a fair analogy.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #300 of 3,507
this sounds promising, finally some good news!
although, RE-400 was said to be a touch sibilant here - is this gone on the RE-600?
any comparisons to something like Phonak PFE series, or perhaps ATH AT-CK10/CK100? or UM2x RC? those are the only ones I currently have in my recent memory for IEM's. I am hoping they would be similar to RE-262/272 in terms of that.
I found the CK10/CK100 to have a little problem with treble, CK10 more sibilant than CK100, both a bit much treble but still quite nice. and the Phonak PFE had a few problems with sibilance as well.
UM2x I thought was quite nice, used the Comply tips for those. olives for the rest.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back