Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
May 30, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #181 of 666
Compared to a walkman or ipod the ui might seem messy, but believe me compared to iBasso and Hifisoundaudio it's dreamy.

May 30, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #182 of 666
Compared to a walkman or ipod the ui might seem messy, but believe me compared to iBasso and Hifisoundaudio it's dreamy.

Seriously? I have no problem with the UI of iBasso, Hifiman or FiiO. Nothing messy about any of them. I realize you are comparing the 901s to the DX but I can not get the connection to messy. Now with Hifisoundaudio, that is a different story but none of the others I have mentioned, IMO, are anything like Hfs. 

May 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #183 of 666
What is the difference between the two cards? Also, is the 512GBSDXC card supported?

May 30, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #184 of 666

Seriously? I have no problem with the UI of iBasso, Hifiman or FiiO. Nothing messy about any of them. I realize you are comparing the 901s to the DX but I can not get the connection to messy. Now with Hifisoundaudio, that is a different story but none of the other I have mentioned, IMO, are anything like Hfs. 

My experience with HiFiMAN is only with the HM-650. The same FW version 2.001 is used with the other current models (802 and 901) I guess some FW features are dependent on hardware. With the 650 the problems are: no tag support for wav, album titles with numeric only titles are not displayed, Artist searches will cause a reproducible crash and reboot, Artwork is a hit or miss and the already mentioned need for gapless. It's a concern that the last FW update was 09/2014 even though HiFiMAN is aware of these problems. The only reason I've kept the 650 is the incredible sound but the UI is not a pleasure. As for the noise issue, HiFiMAN explained them as follows in blue:
I hear clicks (electrical not mechanical) when adjusting the volume control.

This is normal, because the potentiometer we used is marching type to provide better sounds.
There are around 20 grades in volume control module, if you put the button between 2 grades,
the noise will occur, you just need to adjust it slightly.

I hear clicks and pops when randomly choosing a track but not while playing consecutive tracks.

This is normal,  because the potentiometer we used is marching type to provide better sounds, some 
[size=inherit]buffer will be released, [/size][size=inherit]the degree of cliks and pops depends on the content and size of the buffer. [/size]
[size=inherit]But for automatically playing of songs, this will not occur. [/size]

I would love to upgrade to the HM-901S but I would hope that these problems are non-existent for their $1500 flagship.

May 31, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #185 of 666
I have dx50 and 90 -  I find the screen tiny for touch, I have big hands, and I think the
layout and look is poor, the lurker FW improves it a bit, but I'd rather have 2.001 on there if I could.

May 31, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #186 of 666
I have just ordered mine from Moon Audio

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #187 of 666
its design is terrible... it looks like from 70's sci-fi movie.
What were they thinking?
All DAPs from China (Fiio X5, Lotoo Paw Gold, HM901) have very outdated design. They remind me of 70's sci-fi.
They need to consult with better designers.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #188 of 666
its design is terrible... it looks like from 70's sci-fi movie.
What were they thinking?
All DAPs from China (Fiio X5, Lotoo Paw Gold, HM901) have very outdated design. They remind me of 70's sci-fi.
They need to consult with better designers.

Any I actually love this haha.

Provided they dont function like a 1970's computer of course.

I dont know, I LOVE the look of the Paw gold and HM901 and even more so the HM901s.  I also love the look of the ak100ii, Plenue p1.
I love what they were going for with the C4, but I think it come off looking cheap, but I really loved the idea, even the look of the UI was great (matched the design), but it was a dog to use haha.

The only issue I guess I have is when they become too big for use as a portable than anything else.  DAPs like the 901 and N6 are pushing it size wise.  The C4 and LP5 is too big.
The Paw gold is small in person (though thick).

But putting all of that aside, they are still a fraction of the size of the iPod stacks of the not so distant past.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #189 of 666
In my view AKjr has gotten the design right. It is perhaps the best design AK has released so far. Far more practical, I still think ipod nano 7G Is the most navigational friendly product.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #190 of 666
In my view AKjr has gotten the design right. It is perhaps the best design AK has released so far. Far more practical, I still think ipod nano 7G Is the most navigational friendly product.

AK Jr's design is better than anything Hifiman has released so far.
I like some of Chinese DACs... but their designers are likely born in 1930's or something.
If I were them, I would hire designers from Japan.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #194 of 666
Still no reviews or comparison with 901 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back