HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
May 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #2,582 of 3,445
Normalizing volume is an effect that can only degrade the sound, I wouldn't expect to see such a feature in a
high end DAP 

May 10, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #2,590 of 3,445
That is absolutely not TRUE. In fact, it's just the REVERSE.

Hi, you sound like you have some experience with this.  Can you expand on this?  I really don't like the replay gain settings on my audio player when all of sudden loudness drops.  
frown.gif
  So, normalizing makes sense to do, but I don't know what happens with all these replay gain levels, if they decrease the SQ at all.

May 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,591 of 3,445
Hi, you sound like you have some experience with this.  Can you expand on this?  I really don't like the replay gain settings on my audio player when all of sudden loudness drops.  :frowning2:   So, normalizing makes sense to do, but I don't know what happens with all these replay gain levels, if they decrease the SQ at all.

RG (and its elk) is simply adjusting your volume knob for you so all your songs are on a level loudness playing field. It doesn't change the samples in anyway - it's just adjusting gain up or down depending on how you set it up.

The volume in which you listen to changes the way your ear's perceive sound (your ear is not linear in its frequency response). And most modern music is too loud, causing some tracks to sound drastically different than others, aka the Loudness War. RG solves that to some extent by auto-adjusting the gain. Obviously, albums that have been mastered poorly will sound a bit worse when compared to records that have been mastered with fidelity in mind - but to me, that's a good thing!

The biggest issue with RG is in its implementation. The player needs to have different modes like the way Apple implements SoundCheck in iTunes. When you are listening to just one album then you want the gain settings all to be normalized between tracks within that album (intra-album normalization). However, in playlist mode, when you have a bunch of songs of various artists and genres, then the RG settings become more of an issue because you want each track to be relative to each other (inter-album normalization), not relative to the album they are contained in. Otherwise, the gain settings will sound very weird as you go through Bach, Beethoven, and Behemoth!

Bottom line, RG support would be a very, very nice feature to support on the 901.

May 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2,592 of 3,445
Is the RG present in the signal path?

May 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,593 of 3,445
Is the RG present in the signal path?

No. Works like this:

RG will scan your album and approximate its overall loudness. It will then write a tag (just like "artist") to each track telling the player software how to adjust gain during playback.

Then a RG enabled player (software or DAP) will notice the tag and go, "Oh, you want me to play this track but adjust the gain by -2.3db." It will then lower it.

CORRECTION: Well, the 901 has true analog volume control which I completely forgot about. Don't ask me how...but I did. I guess I am so used to DAPs having digital volume...well anyway, nevermind, this ain't gonna work.

May 11, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,595 of 3,445
Has anyone tried the HM-901 Accessory
S/P DIF Input/Output Cable

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=170

Can I actually output digital audio from the hifiman hm901 to a DAC using this adapter?

Of course it can. Wouldn't be much good if it can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back