HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,161 of 3,445
  So is the what is the balanced Card using as an output? I've got 4pin XLRs atm on most of my headphones... 

So balanced card uses 4 op amps but outs into a SE TRRS Jack... bad move I say on the part of Hifiman... the whole Idea I though of Balanced was a single amp for + L -L +R -R

an indivdual amp line for the positive and negative for each driver... going with 4 op amps then still using a SE jack kinda defeats the pourpose, I suppose it's a nice way to get more power into a SE design, but terminating with an actual balanced Connector, any of the 4 pin ALOs or the 6pin HiRose gives upholds the concept of balanced headphones, and results in even more power...

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,162 of 3,445
  So balanced card uses 4 op amps but outs into a SE TRRS Jack... bad move I say on the part of Hifiman... the whole Idea I though of Balanced was a single amp for + L -L +R -R ...

Hmmm, not sure what you are getting at....

The hookup of the TRRS jack is L + / - and R + / - , so how is that not a true balanced hookup? And isn't having 4 op amps the same as an amp for each channels + & - ?

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,163 of 3,445
So is the what is the balanced Card using as an output? I've got 4pin XLRs atm on most of my headphones... 

It uses the trrs plug: it looks just like a normal 3.5mm plug except there are 3 rings, rather than the normal 2.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,164 of 3,445
It uses the trrs plug: it looks just like a normal 3.5mm plug except there are 3 rings, rather than the normal 2.

left right and ground

I still don't [and maybe it's due to a lack of understanding] see how you can utilize a balanced amp with what is still what I think is a single end jack, or rather the TRRS has 2 channels, one for L + - one for Right + - and the third is a ground, my 4pin Xlr has 4 channels one for left - one for left + on for right - and one for right + , a seperate channel for each, same as the amp, where as with TRS you start with 4 channels then back to two at the termination, the whole idea of balanced was to seperate each channel to preserve the quality and prevent the degredation of the signal. Not saying that the Balanced amp sounds bad, but it seems to only be half there, the amp part is there with the ability to generate a nice large voltage swing without distortion, but the out put is still Single end is it not [and nothing wrong with SE at that] 

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,165 of 3,445
It uses a TRRS, and once you flip the "bal/se switch" it takes the two (-) and ties them together. It's true, and it works just fine :)

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #2,167 of 3,445
  I am not too sure what Mshenay goes on about? A TRRS jack is of course balanced and has four contacts as the name indicates. A single ended jack with three contacts is a TRS.

Fair enough, I read some where to that a TRRS jack has two rings, one for Left + and Right + then the sleeve for Combined - Channels your pic shows that the Tip also act's to carry one of the 4 channels! 

non the less a large portion of very high end flag ships are 4pin XLR or 3pin dual XLRs

So here's to hoping we might see a Dap support that BIG connector, or at the very least one of the smaller connectors, like ALO Audios and the HiRose 

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2,168 of 3,445
  Fair enough, I read some where to that a TRRS jack has two rings, one for Left + and Right + then the sleeve for Combined - Channels your pic shows that the Tip also act's to carry one of the 4 channels! 

non the less a large portion of very high end flag ships are 4pin XLR or 3pin dual XLRs

So here's to hoping we might see a Dap support that BIG connector, or at the very least one of the smaller connectors, like ALO Audios and the HiRose 

I actually do think the trrs is a better implementation than the small xlr connectors in portable situations, you can spin the jack and its smaller as well, plus one jack can double function as single ended trs and balanced trrs, unlike the 2 different jacks that alo portable amps have. I'm not going to terminate my iems with a large xlr jack...way too big....

Other manufactures are actually following (ak240), I think there's a high possibility that this might be the future standard.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2,169 of 3,445
  I actually do think the trrs is a better implementation than the small xlr connectors in portable situations, you can spin the jack and its smaller as well, plus one jack can double function as single ended trs and balanced trrs, unlike the 2 different jacks that alo portable amps have. I'm not going to terminate my iems with a large xlr jack...way too big....

Other manufactures are actually following (ak240), I think there's a high possibility that this might be the future standard.

Fari enough, I still do not like the idea of a single metal connector, the idea behind the bigger connectors is a lead for each wire. Simple and to the point, plus those jacks are heavy duty. I've destroyed a few TRS jacks in my day

BUT for portable users, who are using just a DAP and headphone/iem I can see the usefulness and value in the smaller TRRS jack 

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,170 of 3,445

I sure hope not...see below

Quote:
  ...I've destroyed a few TRS jacks in my day

BUT for portable users, who are using just a DAP and headphone/iem I can see the usefulness and value in the smaller TRRS jack 

HM-901 uses 3.5mm TRRS = Reasonably robust, available with non-magnetic construction.  
thumbsup.gif

AK240 uses a 2.5mm TRRS = Ridiculously small and fragile, hard to find and typically requires magnetic steel construction due to it's tiny size.  
thumbsdown.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,171 of 3,445

HM-901 uses 3.5mm TRRS = Reasonably robust, available with non-magnetic construction.  
thumbsup.gif

AK240 uses a 2.5mm TRRS = Ridiculously small and fragile, hard to find and typically requires magnetic steel construction due to it's tiny size.  
thumbsdown.gif

iBasso Pb2 uses HiRose = 6 contacts, weighing in at 113 grams ... me gusta  
thumbsup.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2,172 of 3,445
  iBasso Pb2 uses HiRose = 6 contacts, weighing in at 113 grams ... me gusta  
thumbsup.gif

The Hirose is excellent but I don't think it will become a a standard. They are expensive, relative to other connectors of the same function and take up more real estate, but they are good and I like the minimal metal used for the actual connection and they are non magnetic in all conduction materials. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #2,173 of 3,445
  The Hirose is excellent but I don't think it will become a a standard. They are expensive, relative to other connectors of the same function and take up more real estate, but they are good and I like the minimal metal used for the actual connection and they are non magnetic in all conduction materials. 

Hey how does the LIghting p51 [that is the new RSA balanced right] compare to the pb2 

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,174 of 3,445
  Hey how does the LIghting p51 [that is the new RSA balanced right] compare to the pb2 

Wrong thread, this is about the HM901. The Lightning is the new balanced amp. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,175 of 3,445
  Fari enough, I still do not like the idea of a single metal connector, the idea behind the bigger connectors is a lead for each wire. Simple and to the point, plus those jacks are heavy duty. I've destroyed a few TRS jacks in my day

The TRRS has a lead for each wire R+ - and L+ - so it is a balanced connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back