HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Dec 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,666 of 3,445
It does not bug me, not at all. With the lowest volume it is practically no issue. In my case (tinnitus is really horrible life experience) it is even more not an issue.

I was just curieus what do other say to the noise level.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,667 of 3,445
  One more note. I suffer from slight tinnitus in one ear after a car accident. Therefore I subconsiously "filter" certain level of noise in my hearing. Today I let my wife to try my beloved HM901 and she instantly said - there is no complete silence, there is a slight level of noise when idle. And really, when I focus to noise level, it is really not completely silent. The noise level is very slight, but it is there. Then I compared it with my electrostatic Staxes, and there is a complete silence (I can distinguish between my tinnitus noise and device noise).
Well, for me it is not an issue as I have not heard complete silence for several years. It's rather a curiosity - Hifiman claims best quality - and there is not "black" silence?

What headphones and card for the 901 are you using. With my Fostex TH900 I get no background noise with the Mini card. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,670 of 3,445
  A little bit of gamble for the adventurous ones - Lexar Professional 600x SDXC UHS-I 256GB for $336.45 with free domestic shipping

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Ritz_Camera_7

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/LEXLSD256CTBNA600.htm

Not exactly sure about the compatibility with HM-901 but that's pretty much the only brand with 256GB so far.

Interesting. I think I would wait for the price to come down and maybe HiFiman checking compatibility. 

I use balanced card and JH13ProFreq with MoonAudio Silver Dragon balanced cable TRRS connector.
HM901 is set to balanced ON / low gain / HD.

I will check with my Jh13 Pro and the balanced card. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,671 of 3,445
  I use balanced card and JH13ProFreq with MoonAudio Silver Dragon balanced cable TRRS connector.
HM901 is set to balanced ON / low gain / HD.

On low or high gain I get no background noise. No hiss, nothing. This is with the TRRS, JH13 Pro and balanced card. I tried over and over by pulling out the plug when the player is paused and using different volume settings and the two gain settings. I have fairly normal  hearing. Whiplash V3 cable used for the entire cable run. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,673 of 3,445
The compatibility of this specific card was confirm by a user on this thread or the other. This is actually a great price, always found it around 500 to 600$ before.

Good price then but still more than what I want to pay but it would be nice. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,675 of 3,445
Having been using the 901 LO recently makes me also want to purchase the upcoming dock

Just something I read on erji posted by Fang:

The design is at its final phase. The circuit board is competed. The only outstanding function is the "USB DAC" which requires more tuning. The casing is still finalizing as well.

The features include:
1. Allow users to use audiophile cables
2. Remote control functions
3. Added "Buffer" for line out. The "Buffer" is added for low to medium grade headphone amp or power amp. User can switch off this "Buffer" if the receiving amp is high end.
4. Coaxial/Optical in/out
5. USB DAC using USB 2.0

Target price yet to be determined but should be around 2-3k RMB

Should be releasde early 2014....

Quite looking forward to this

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #1,676 of 3,445
2-3k RMB - that's not cheap. That's roughly between $325 and $485 ...

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,677 of 3,445
  2-3k RMB - that's not cheap. That's roughly between $325 and $485 ...

Agree.... as an accessory, it costs more than an audiophile DAP....
it is only good if you have an use case for it..... come to think of it, a dual ess9018 dac isnt cheap also....and the fact that the line out does sound exceptionally good...

anyway, lets hope that it will be 2k....

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,678 of 3,445
I am hoping the dock will have balanced out, otherwise I won't be considering it. Fingers crossed 
popcorn.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,680 of 3,445
Excuse once more my monothematic noise issue.
I'm just afraid if my balanced amp card is OK, because I found additionally that basic noise level is more distinct in the "balanced ON" player mode.
It should be vice versa when the "ground" is separated with balanced ON and balanced cable with TRRS.
To assess the basic noise I listen to "idle" player switched on. Off course , nobody listens to "idle". I use idle merely to assess the noise level.
When the player is switched on and the volume is 0, there is a barely noticaeble noise (I hear it but it is very slight). With my reference Staxes I can't hear noise (from all the range between vol min to max) at all.
I would appreciate an experince ot other HM901 owners. Please try your own player noise:

- set volume to minimum, switch balanced mode ON and OFF, assess the noise. Repeat with volume level 6.
- with balanced mode ON increase volume slowly to max and find out the volume level when you first hear a perceptable noise
- with balanced mode OFF do the same

For the compare it would be optimal that you use balanced amp. card + balanced cable with TRRS connector, but even if your config is other, your data would be interesting.

Thank you in advance for your information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back