HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Oct 16, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #16 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of the "Hold" button, it does not lock the Power Button. You can still turn the HM-801 on even with the Hold button on.

the bright side of that perhaps is that it really is turn off and not at all in sleep mode etc etc ?

i own Dell Axim X50v & X51v and i suspect the reason its hold switchworks because when u off windows mobile, it is still chewing the power while hibernate ? i could be wrong but i m just not going to bother to open them now to check the hardware design
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #17 of 480
Just got my replacement HM-801 today. I missed listening to it even though I only had the previous one for about a day.

This one has the Version 0.06 2009-09-25 Firmware and it has some major issues. It keeps defaulting to the same folder with each power up and when pressing the "back" button. (upper left front button). Also it takes up to 25 seconds to power up fully, because it always gets stuck with "Updating the hifiman HM-801 Media".

-Ed

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #18 of 480
Also, confirmed. The Player still locks up when yanking the USB connection or Coax (using it as a DAC) when the power is still on. Only removing the battery or hitting the reset switch with a paperclip works.

You have to power off the HM-801 before disconnecting a USB or Coax DAC connection.

I would recommend sticking with the last Version 0.05 Firmware and be careful not to turn off "Now Playing" in the settings.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 480
Another feature that is needed is when skipping tracks backwards (<<), a single press should skip to the beginning of the song you are listening to currently, not to the beginning of the previous track like it currently does. A double press within a 1/2 to 3/4 second should skip to the beginning of a previous track. This method of track navigation skipping is how it's been done on practically every CD player and DAP for a long time.

Also when navigating folders while browsing "SD Card" needs to start with the current folder that you are playing a song in (so you can navigate to a different song in the same folder, then allow single steps backward from the folder you are in. With Ver 0.05 pressing the "Back button (upper Lt front face button)" would go all the way back to the root of the SD Card. Ver 0.06 keeps defaulting to the same folder and then skips back one folder back.

Basically it should be the way that Rock Box is set up. It's pretty intuitive and works well.

-Ed

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #20 of 480
Quote:

Another feature that is needed is when skipping tracks backwards (<<), a single press should skip to the beginning of the song you are listening to currently, not to the beginning of the previous track like it currently.....

-Ed

Taking notes Edwood~ thanks for sharing.

by the way, just realize i dont have any card reader reads SDHC , not even my old laptop with win 7 installed. is the hifiman's 2nd USB port still works as transfer portal ?

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #21 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by testrichard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taking notes Edwood~ thanks for sharing.

by the way, just realize i dont have any card reader reads SDHC , not even my old laptop with win 7 installed. is the hifiman's 2nd USB port still works as transfer portal ?

Yes, just plug it in and it automatically switches to USB data mode. Two removeable drives show up. One is the internal flash I'm guessing, and the other is the SDHC card inside the HM-801.

Unlike disconnecting from DAC mode, unplugging the USB data does switch back to Player mode without always locking up. Takes awhile though.

Oh, yeah. Be sure to unplug audio connections like line out or headphone jack, because it often makes a weird, loud static noise when disconnecting the USB data connection.

-Ed

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 480
Quote:

Also, I noticed the internal player does not recognize or play 24bit 88.2KHz files. HDtracks sells them, so be careful. Not all their high res content is 24/96.

Hifiman dont play 24/88.2 ???

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #25 of 480
Quote:

Also, I noticed the internal player does not recognize or play 24bit 88.2KHz files. HDtracks sells them, so be careful. Not all their high res content is 24/96.

Could you please provide the download link of these tracks? I have tested some 24bit 88.2khz files and the player does support them.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 480
Has anybody had any problems with playing their (flac)files in the correct sequence?

My hifiman just won't put the tracks in the right order, no matter what I try.
I've tried anything I could come up with:
A multi-file .cue, using the tracknumbers in the filename so they are in the right order alphabetically, using both "01" & "1" as a tracknumber,...
I've used a single file .cue, in combination with a single flac file. And while this did work (more or less), this means I'll have to re-rip every CD I want to listen to.

And before anyone asks, "playback order" is put on "order" and not "random".
wink.gif

I love the sound quality, but this issue has been driving me up the wall since I got it last week.

firmware version 0.08

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 480
First of all I love my HiFiMAN and would be willing to live with it the way it is, but I would really like to have better firmware.

Every player except the HiFiMAN can play my flac files without a problem. HiFiMAN seems to have a hard time handeling the file names and playing the files in the correct order.

I guess I will just be patient and wait for new firmware.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 480
Is there a centralized list of issues currently being addressed? It would be nice to see what's been observed, when with which firmware release.

Also, is there some place where the current released firmware is announced? I am on 0.08 and there are numerous issues - but again, like most people I am so happy with the sound quality that you couldn't rip this device from my cold dead hands - firmware issues or not.

Additionally, how do we update the firmware - sdhc card or otherwise?

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #29 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxxdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all I love my HiFiMAN and would be willing to live with it the way it is, but I would really like to have better firmware.

Every player except the HiFiMAN can play my flac files without a problem. HiFiMAN seems to have a hard time handeling the file names and playing the files in the correct order.

I guess I will just be patient and wait for new firmware.

I've encountered only once that 801 keeps on playing a FLAC file on the onboard flash. Otherwise it's been working fine. I use 01_name, 02_name to instruct the 801 to play in order. So far it works well.

But I do hope that 801 has/will have a reset button or a reset procedure so that the machine may have a cold start again.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #30 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody had any problems with playing their (flac)files in the correct sequence?

My hifiman just won't put the tracks in the right order, no matter what I try.
I've tried anything I could come up with:
A multi-file .cue, using the tracknumbers in the filename so they are in the right order alphabetically, using both "01" & "1" as a tracknumber,...
I've used a single file .cue, in combination with a single flac file. And while this did work (more or less), this means I'll have to re-rip every CD I want to listen to.

And before anyone asks, "playback order" is put on "order" and not "random".
wink.gif

I love the sound quality, but this issue has been driving me up the wall since I got it last week.

firmware version 0.08

I have exactly the same problem with version 0.08.

But I found a workaround was to ensure that the track number comes first in the filename.

Unfortunately most of my FLAC's have the format "<artist><track no.><track title>". It seems as though only the first n characters are used to sort the tracks, n being an unknown number I haven't had time to pin down yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back