Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 29, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #8,731 of 14,704
So this kinda blow up on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5kr8gp/hifiman_review_manipulation/

How hifiman is bribing consumers in exchange for 5 star reviews. Figured if you spent $3k on a headphone, this is something you want to be aware of.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #8,732 of 14,704
  So this kinda blow up on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5kr8gp/hifiman_review_manipulation/

How hifiman is bribing consumers in exchange for 5 star reviews. Figured if you spent $3k on a headphone, this is something you want to be aware of.

Or this could be more fake news/combat marketing from some competitor.  It would be interesting to hear Hifiman`s response to this.  

In my experience with HE-1000, HE-6 and HE-400i, they don`t need to bribe people to get 5 star reviews. . . . .  

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #8,733 of 14,704
Reddit is the home of the least common denominator.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #8,736 of 14,704
I refuse to give the HE1K's a 5 star rating unless HiFiman promises to send me a pair of V2 pads. lol

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #8,737 of 14,704
I find the initial reactions of people in this thread quite funny. I mean, do people really defend this practice? I also got my HE1K upgraded to the V2s and I love them a lot BUT these kind of practices just leave a bitter taste in my mouth about the whole company.

This kind of practice makes reviews meaningless doesn't it, considering reviews can be bought and not be trusted...

If you guys are ok with this well...

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #8,738 of 14,704
  I find the initial reactions of people in this thread quite funny. I mean, do people really defend this practice? I also got my HE1K upgraded to the V2s and I love them a lot BUT these kind of practices just leave a bitter taste in my mouth about the whole company.

This kind of practice makes reviews meaningless doesn't it, considering reviews can be bought and not be trusted...

If you guys are ok with this well...

It isn't necessarily true just because someone posted an anonymous, redacted 'email' on reddit.  There are several head-fi'ers with a serious grudge against the company.  At least one of them has recently accused the company of offering free upgrades in return for positive reviews without offering any reasonable, prima facie evidence.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one of them is behind the reddit thread.

I think a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #8,739 of 14,704

It isn't necessarily true just because someone posted an anonymous, redacted 'email' on reddit.  There are several head-fi'ers with a serious grudge against the company.  At least one of them has recently accused the company of offering free upgrades in return for positive reviews without offering any reasonable, prima facie evidence.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one of them is behind the reddit thread.

I think a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted.

Good point. I see this kind of thing going on all over the place but also know that a couple of companies do have people to post negative info on other companies in this industry. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #8,740 of 14,704
I got a beta test HEK v1, no one ever pressured me to say anything about it (they wanted a review, but didn't try to influence it at all. I actually didn't get to put in a review because I had to send the beta back as it had a problem, when I got a replacement, the official release had already happened).

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #8,741 of 14,704
I got a beta test HEK v1, no one ever pressured me to say anything about it (they wanted a review, but didn't try to influence it at all. I actually didn't get to put in a review because I had to send the beta back as it had a problem, when I got a replacement, the official release had already happened).

Was there ever an unpaid beta test or was that part of the "beta test" where you had to pay HFM for the headphones in advance of receiving them?

Not faulting you for participating in either case, just wanting to see if there was an unpaid beta for the HEK v1.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #8,742 of 14,704
I don't know of any "unpaid" or "paid" beta, there was a beta I was in, where the participants had an option of buying at a discount. I suppose one could consider that "paid", though it still wasn't inexpensive, and I don't think anyone would go for it that didn't love the cans.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #8,743 of 14,704
Funny how everyone is defending the company.
No one is saying the HE-1000 is a bad headphone, but rather that the company bribes reviewers.

Guys, you shouldnt be in love with companies. Two things can be true at once. Hifiman can make good headphones at the same time they're bribing reviewers.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #8,744 of 14,704
Wasn't trying to defend or attack them, maybe someone else has bribe experience, just giving my experience since I did deal with the company in this vein.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #8,745 of 14,704
I was asked to do a review of the HEK when I upgraded from v1 to v2, but no one ever asked that I give five stars. Just asked me to give my personal review of the two headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back