Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,716 of 14,704
  So a headphone like the q701 and hd800 would have good dynamics as far as the definition is concerned right?

Yes and no. They are both headphones known for being analytical and very detailed sounding, but they're not very dynamic.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #8,717 of 14,704
  So a headphone like the q701 and hd800 would have good dynamics as far as the definition is concerned right?

Yes, but the HE1000s V1 and V2 have a weight to the bass that the above two sorely need.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #8,719 of 14,704
  So quick but impactful bass? lol. I'm fine with the hd800 bass, I love them for its personality

I prefer both the HD800S and HE1000V2's bass to the HD800 bass. Both in quality and quantity. But that said, the HE1000's bass is a good step up over both Sennheisers.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #8,720 of 14,704

I prefer both the HD800S and HE1000V2's bass to the HD800 bass. Both in quality and quantity. But that said, the HE1000's bass is a good step up over both Sennheisers.

If the bass is a big step from the 560, that would pretty much end any interest. I am the anti-bass head

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #8,721 of 14,704
  If the bass is a big step from the 560, that would pretty much end any interest. I am the anti-bass head

The HE1000's have flat bass down to 10Hz...you might be adverse to that. 
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #8,722 of 14,704
Dec 27, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #8,724 of 14,704

Time for some post christmas listening:)
Cheers!

And, time for more HP stands! :wink:

Never thought I'd see the HE1K as the 'budget option' in a set of four. But there it is!

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #8,725 of 14,704

I have a Silver Dragon V3 and like it, but I feel that it slightly emphasizes the treble region compared to the stock cable, which may not be to your liking. I would expect a good copper cable to be more suitable in your case and it would also be easier to stay below your price limit.

Find yourself a quality OCC copper litz cable with good insulation.  The more wires, the better. 

Thanks for the replies guys, I will look into this

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #8,726 of 14,704
I would just like to add that I guess I am or was a bit of a cable skeptic as i struggled to hear a difference when i experimented with different USB cables in my main set up.
So when I got my HEK last year I needed a cable as I need 12ft really so the stock cable was not enough. I think it was a company called Ela-Audio and I got a 15ft cable off ebay from the USA for just over £100. It was well made and at the time that satisfied me. I did no comparison with the stock cable as it did not matter.
Today I had a bit of time and did the comparison and wow what a difference. The Ela cable is so much better. Far more detail and a much better bass. The one issue I guess is that the stock cable does not have the brightness at the top end.
I do find it rather disturbing that the stock cable on a HP i paid over 2k for is so poor, its actually shocking really.

So yes now I guess I am not sure that another cable purchase will add much more, and of course I cant demo any. I remember looking at Moon and Cardas last year too from what I recall. Anyone any other suggestions?

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #8,727 of 14,704
Not surprised cable didn't have effect on digital. Either a digital byte is right or wrong and when wrong, it is dramatic. Most important is avoiding the injection of spurious noise I'd say.

Analog? It's all about the subtleties... :wink: Thanx for confirming my suspision. Now that I have a DAC capable of feeding my amp and this HP with the ultimate in detail [NAD M51], I was wondering if I should update the HE1K cable. Your post tells me all I needed to know.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #8,728 of 14,704
Not surprised cable didn't have effect on digital. Either a digital byte is right or wrong and when wrong, it is dramatic.

Analog? It's all about the subtleties...
wink.gif
Thanx for confirming my suspision. Now that I gave a DAC capable of feeding my amp and this HP with the ultimate in detail [NAD M51], I was wondering if I should update the HE1K cable. Your post tells me all I needed to know.

Like I say I have always been a bit cynical and try not to get too obsessed with getting the ultimate sound, but today I got a shock. Stock cable summarised by the word muffled :wink:

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #8,729 of 14,704
  I would just like to add that I guess I am or was a bit of a cable skeptic as i struggled to hear a difference when i experimented with different USB cables in my main set up.
So when I got my HEK last year I needed a cable as I need 12ft really so the stock cable was not enough. I think it was a company called Ela-Audio and I got a 15ft cable off ebay from the USA for just over £100. It was well made and at the time that satisfied me. I did no comparison with the stock cable as it did not matter.
Today I had a bit of time and did the comparison and wow what a difference. The Ela cable is so much better. Far more detail and a much better bass. The one issue I guess is that the stock cable does not have the brightness at the top end.
I do find it rather disturbing that the stock cable on a HP i paid over 2k for is so poor, its actually shocking really.

So yes now I guess I am not sure that another cable purchase will add much more, and of course I cant demo any. I remember looking at Moon and Cardas last year too from what I recall. Anyone any other suggestions?

Check out www.doublehelixcables.com.  OCC copper litz is the best bet given your budget.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #8,730 of 14,704
The Moon Silver Dragon (balanced) seems to be working excellently for me, especially in the bass (which I find a hallmark advantage of the Silver Dragon).
AND this is despite the fact that I am very sensitive to piercing highs or mechanical/brittle high frequencies or shrill upper mids vocals.

The Moon cable seems to be a very good match using 2 diff. DACs/Amps (including a Chord Hugo TT, which I will also note is a great match for the HE1000v2).
The HE1000v2 is absolutely the best matching headphone for the Hugo TT I have found.

Now the stock cord is fine also, but I do like the extra lower mid and upper bass control and transparency with the Moon silver dragon cable.

So now about a month with the V2 and the honeymoon continues, fwiw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back