Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,326 of 14,653
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE REPORT on how the V1s sound with the V2 pads on them !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many times this has been asked.

Most owners don't want to buy the V2s, or know how the V1 pads sound on the V2, they want to know how an $80 upgrade is going to affect their existing investment.

Someone PLEASE.

I am also losing my mind reading this thread! I think those who now own both the V1 and V2 are afraid to try the V2 ear pads on their V1 headphones. lol

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #8,327 of 14,653
I'm not sure what the rush is, since v2 pads are not available, and don't seem to be becoming available any time soon...

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #8,328 of 14,653
V1 owners simply want to know if an affordable ear pad replacement can improve the sound quality to near V2 performance.

Otherwise you would need to sell your V1's used for a fraction of what you paid and shell out anther 3k.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #8,329 of 14,653
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE REPORT on how the V1s sound with the V2 pads on them !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many times this has been asked.

Most owners don't want to buy the V2s, or know how the V1 pads sound on the V2, they want to know how an $80 upgrade is going to affect their existing investment.

Someone PLEASE.

There are a few members who have both.
None have yet to answer this question.
It may not be so easy, but more probable is that they not want to answer that question, for whatever reasons.

V1 owners simply want to know if an affordable ear pad replacement can improve the sound quality to near V2 performance.

Otherwise you would need to sell your V1's used for a fraction of what you paid and shell out anther 3k.

Yes the V1 is currently selling on Amazon for $2400,
And used under $2k, if you even get a buyer, because of no updates yet on the "upgrade" plans..

If you guys look over at the HE1000 tape mod thread, you will gain some insights on the new driver and improvements.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #8,330 of 14,653
I know why people are interested, I'm interested as well. But reading this thread you detect a note of hysteria in the requests. Relax, folks, the HEK is still as great sounding now as when you bought it, even if v2 brings it up a notch!

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #8,331 of 14,653
Enjoy your V1 as is...its still a good headphone, that is unless you're rushing to be the first to sell Then and buy your V2.

Don't already owned a V2 so I'll have to bring my V1 to the shop for a direct comparison. I should have some time in the middle of the week to do a direct comparison as well as to try out the pad swap and report back

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #8,332 of 14,653
Of course the V1 are still enjoyable but, it's always disconcerting when you have a lot invested and a new 'better' version of something is released. Everyone naturally wants to know if there will be an upgrade path of some sort.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #8,333 of 14,653
Version 1 was good before and it still is.Nothing was lost. Version 2 does have a different sound, to a degree. No reason not to fully enjoy what you have. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #8,334 of 14,653
There are a few members who have both.
None have yet to answer this question.
It may not be so easy, but more probable is that they not want to answer that question, for whatever reasons.
Yes the V1 is currently selling on Amazon for $2400,
And used under $2k, if you even get a buyer, because of no updates yet on the "upgrade" plans..

If you guys look over at the HE1000 tape mod thread, you will gain some insights on the new driver and improvements.

I've spoke to one of the HIFIMAN staff over the email. Looks like they'll have an "upgrade" program releasing in the coming weeks for HE1000V1 owners to go V2. I was told that will be around $650. So maybe the HE1000V1 is worth to hold onto after all. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #8,335 of 14,653

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #8,337 of 14,653
Haha..that was directed towards HFM than towards you bro 
biggrin.gif

They wanted $500 for the upgrade of HM-901 to HM-901S, so this don't sound too far fetch coming from these crew...but no they are just not gonna dip into my pocket, again!

Just gonna mod my HE-1000 and enjoy it as is, since their resale value are just awful (to put it mildly and mod-friendly)

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #8,338 of 14,653
  Haha..that was directed towards HFM than towards you bro 
biggrin.gif

They wanted $500 for the upgrade of HM-901 to HM-901S, so this don't sound too far fetch coming from these crew...but no they are just not gonna dip into my pocket, again!

Just gonna mod my HE-1000 and enjoy it as is, since their resale value are just awful (to put it mildly and mod-friendly)

Yeah, it is good to at least have an option to "upgrade". At least people don't have to sell the HE1000 and then buy the HE1000V2 for a lot more.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #8,340 of 14,653
As an HE1000 enthusiast, I was thrilled to be invited into the HE1000 upgrade program.  

DISCLAIMER:  HiFiMan asked me to review the new version in exchange for my V1 version provided I offer an opinion after reviewing the 2 versions.  I've purposefully avoided reading other reviews of the HiFiMan HE-1000 V2.  I will have to say goodbye to one pair or the other, that's the bargain.  

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Same box.  Same style.  Smaller.  Major cable upgrade.  MAJOR.  

PLUGGING IN:

The HE-1000 V2 should come with a red warning label:  Do Not Use Until Broken In.  I've never experienced a headphone of this stature that lacked bass the way the new HE-1000 V2 did out of the box.  I wanted to run back to the V1 screaming and crying-- "Why would the eliminate the sub-bass?  What were they thinking?"  

I put iTunes on repeat mode and flooded them with pink noise.

Fortunately, the missing bass only temporary.  After around 10 hours of burn-in with the pink noise sweep over a few nights, the bass thumps in.  Until I got there, I was convinced HiFiMan had made a major misstep with the update, and I was prepared to keep my V1 beta edition.  Whew.

The area the HE-1000 needed the most work was in the upper mids, to my ears.  Right in the area where the snare drum lives there was an audible dent in the frequency response on the V1.  The snare drums lacked snap and presence.  That, thankfully, has been corrected with the V2.  

The soundstage width is about the same to my ears, perhaps a little narrower on the V2.  As a tradeoff, the imaging has greater focus. 

The V2 are cozier headphones.  The V1 is a roomier headphone.  From the looks of it-- the HE1000 V2 has moved the membrane closer to the ear-- the thickness of the wood is less on the V2.  The proximity change seems to have created an interesting effect-- you actually feel the bass more when it slams around your ears.  You sort of feel the musical impact.  

I still wouldn't put these headphones in the "basshead" category, it's a more balanced, full-bodied overall signature.  

ADVANCING THE NARRATIVE:

I had to leave the new headphones for two agonizing weeks while away on business.

The V2s are growing on me.  Doing some quick-change work between the V1 and V2 this morning, the bass is deeper, tighter, with more impact than the V1.  The impact might be the proximity affect I referred to earlier.  I assume the bass will continue to improve as I get more break-in.

The midrange (in particular, upper mids) is where HiFiMan really did serious work.  The gains are a definite improvement.  The V sound is flattened ever so slightly, this is a good thing.  More sparkle on the top end.  Serious kudos improving the V1's greatest weakness.  

Intimacy.  That's the word that keeps presenting itself as I listen.  The HE1000 V2 is a more intimate experience than the V1.  If you were a fan of the V1, as I still am, the V2 gives you the same sound in a more intimate experience with improvements along the way.  If you like vocals, this headphone will scratch that itch in a profound way.  Honestly, there is little the V1 didn't handle well, so understand, we're talking tweaks here, not giant steps.

Fit and finish-- Frankly, I prefer the looser feel of the V1-- no cloth touches my somewhat large-ish ears (not the case with the V2)-- this is a personal preference, but the V1 headphones are floppier on my head and will slide around if I turn quickly.  The V2 is tighter in its hinges, they stay in place better and don't slop around in my hands the way the V1 does.  HiFiMan listened to the criticism and tightened up tolerances in the whole package.  The V2 is lighter in weight, the construction is tighter in all the seams.  The wood is lighter in color.

This is a more polished and refined headphone, but they haven't thrown away the overall HE1000 experience, it's an upgrade not a complete overhaul.  

RESULTS:

I will be keeping the V2.  HiFiMan has improved an already stellar headphone.  

Source Gear: Mac Pro >> Audionirvana Plus >> Chord Hugo TT >> Woo Audio WA5LE V2 
Interconnects: Moon Audio Silver Dragon, Audioquest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back