Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,581 of 14,719
The thing about audio products is that, if taken well enough is that they can last for a long time possibly a decade and still have enough value to be used. You can't say the same thing about alot of other products like smartphones or cars. Meanwhile the hd 600 is still la solid value and is still recommended.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #2,582 of 14,719
  The thing about audio products is that, if taken well enough is that they can last for a long time possibly a decade and still have enough value to be used. You can't say the same thing about alot of other products like smartphones or cars. Meanwhile the hd 600 is still la solid value and is still recommended.

Then let us hope that these new planar magnetic drivers (from Hifiman, Audeze, Oppo, whatever) will function for a decade or longer.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,584 of 14,719
Audition the Moon 430HA D :¬) You might be surprised.

As with Mulder, only my family and closet friends know of my audio equipment, and that's purely out of excitement; wanting to share with them how wonderful the musical experience is.

If you're the type of person who listens to music the bulk of the day - that's the bulk of your life. Music is to the spirit as to what food is to the body (forums are for the mind). 

Investing in something that enriches that experience, offering you a 24/7 pathway to a wonderfully content and happy state of being, is an invaluable investment.

People spend thousands upon thousands over a lifetime trying to achieve that state of being through various endeavours; especially material gain that one brags about. Drinking/drugs are other such avenues. Each time that's an attempt to feel fullfilled. It's a hollow fufillment though, as it attempts to fill a hole with something that is born out of hollow discontent.

To have something at hand that can take you to that place - joy - instantly makes us very lucky indeed. Unless one gets caught up in the mind too much, of course. 

Invest in the best you can. The poor man pays twice. Save if you have to. It's worth it. If it stops the incessant search for better, your quality of life will go up exponentially. You'll both enjoy the music for what it's worth, rather than dissect it, and free up all the hours spent researching and worrying you're missing out. Music that stirs your soul is a gift to yourself and your happiness. You deserve it.

TL;DR - buy buy buy :¬)

i enjoy a drink and music - often at the same time.

there are folks here who have already invested in the best they can but are still eyeing the he1000 as something that might be even better.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,585 of 14,719

there are folks here who have already invested in the best they can but are still eyeing the he1000 as something that might be even better.

Likewise :¬)

I was talking in terms of those who abuse such things to fill emotional holes, and as Mulder mentioned, spend a lot in the process.

Indeed, and it's to those that I'm saying - do what you can (within sensical limits) to buy them. Sell old/current gear, do some work on the side. Otherwise the hobby of enjoying music transmutes into an addiction to research, forums and feeling nothing but lack. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #2,587 of 14,719
sure but the search for audio perfection or "upgraditis" makes head-fi go round

It can also be an unhealthy addiction which achieves nothing but removal from enjoying the moment. But that's another conversation altogether :¬)

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,591 of 14,719
  "developed" or devolved ?

God damit, these are too expensive! Flagships should be cheaper, so I can afford them. These should be $1500 maximum. They'd sell LOADS more that way. Like the HD800. Thanks to the Abyss, companies have the balls to price way more than they're worth. It's a joke. Why don't they come with a 10 year warranty? Stax are better anyway. All dacs sound the same, too, and expensive USB cables are for morons.

That better evolved for you? :D

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2,592 of 14,719
I traded the hf-1 for a k1000 (plus cash on my end of course) about 7 years ago...and thought those would be the most expensive pair of headphones i could ever justify owning. now I'm thinking about the sr009 or the he1000 as distinct possibilities and I feel a little silly, to be honest.

I hope our private discussion didn't change your mind to pursue the SR-009 instead of the SR-007 or something like that.
redface.gif
(I did mention that I would like to have both.)

Generally speaking, hifi gear sells for around half it's cost second hand -- Probably worst case scenario in this case because as far as I know, there hasn't been any second hand Abyss sold in Australia so they will likely hold their value quite well, but for the sake of speaking generally, we'll say half.

"Hifi gear" more often means high-end speaker rigs, which don't typically lose even 25% of their value, from what I've seen.

Used high-end headphones can easily go for 75% of the original cost, but I rarely see 50% or under.

Lowest I've seen a used Abyss go for is around $4,000. Probably because most people selling it got the full package instead of the AB-1266 Lite, which I have barely seen for sale used. I wouldn't worry about losing too much.

I feel the same way about other people's interests and hobbies too, watches are one example that baffles me. I've never understood why people spend thousands on watches when all they do is tell time. It's not like one watch is going to tell you the time better than another watch will, but if that brings you pleasure and enjoyment then by all means go for it.

Watches are essentially jewelry. We have so many other multipurpose devices that tell time now.

The other day a friend who is a big gambler told me I was nuts spending so much money in my toys..... I told her that I respect her preferences because I know she gets fun and enjoyment gambling but the odds are against her so that is really spending money and I rather spend it getting something that will provide me enjoyment for a longer time... 
biggrin.gif

Reminds me of this must-watch Futurama episode.

Audition the Moon 430HA D :¬) You might be surprised.

As with Mulder, only my family and closet friends know of my audio equipment, and that's purely out of excitement; wanting to share with them how wonderful the musical experience is.

If you're the type of person who listens to music the bulk of the day - that's the bulk of your life. Music is to the spirit as to what food is to the body (forums are for the mind). 

Investing in something that enriches that experience, offering you a 24/7 pathway to a wonderfully content and happy state of being, is an invaluable investment.

People spend thousands upon thousands over a lifetime trying to achieve that state of being through various endeavours; especially material gain that one brags about. Drinking/drugs are other such avenues. Each time that's an attempt to feel fullfilled. It's a hollow fufillment though, as it attempts to fill a hole with something that is born out of hollow discontent.

To have something at hand that can take you to that place - joy - instantly makes us very lucky indeed. Unless one gets caught up in the mind too much, of course. 

Invest in the best you can. The poor man pays twice. Save if you have to. It's worth it. If it stops the incessant search for better, your quality of life will go up exponentially. You'll both enjoy the music for what it's worth, rather than dissect it, and free up all the hours spent researching and worrying you're missing out. Music that stirs your soul is a gift to yourself and your happiness. You deserve it.

TL;DR - buy buy buy :¬)

An insightful post!

Audiophilia = enlightenment. ^_^

I actually spend my day preparing for the latter part of the day I listen to music. (Basically just getting necessary things done, then having enough to eat for my body to handle the chemical enhancers I use. lol -- energy drinks and soda.) It makes the experience much more special when you're not listening to music 24/7, which would cheapen it.

I almost always have an energy drink or soda at the beginning of a listening session. It's much more intense that way.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #2,594 of 14,719
  Planar Magnetic drivers are tough. 

The vintage Yamaha and Fostex drivers have been around for quite some time and are still kicking. 

They were probably made of Mylar too. Today there is polyimide that has higher strength and impact resistance. Don't know if HE1K uses this polymer in their diaphragm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back