HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #11,492 of 21,868

goa trance. this is some trippy stuff.

trippy is good! 
beerchug.gif

i love goa, psy, and full on! like this!

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #11,493 of 21,868

trippy is good! 
beerchug.gif

i love goa, psy, and full on! like this!

e mantra arcana. it is so intense it scares me. new school goa trance. electro sun is good stuff! he-6 is king of the trippy stuff. I listen to all kinds of music and my he-6 is good with anything I find, but for the trippy stuff, it is exceptional cans. I was tempted by an audeze lcd3 but I tried a lcd2 and found the audeze sound not to my liking. I like to have airy cans.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #11,494 of 21,868
this is one of my favorite! oh and the visuals at around 7:30 are actually pretty accurate since i've seen similar myself.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #11,496 of 21,868
Special Thanks

I'd like to give recognition to the four members who were key in my HE-6 experience. Each encouraged me to climb aboard, strap in and hang on....
tongue_smile.gif
what a ride.

- wotts
- "The Treacherous Two" 
evil_smiley.gif
 preproman; Happy Camper
- ohhgourami

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #11,497 of 21,868

The review with the WA5 is a mistery , it just makes no sense. Now was the amp stock or upgraded. As there is big difference if upgraded. Second itoints to the fact this is all subjective too. I remember the first day I put those cans on my head. It was so bright I said , what the heck is every saying this is good. Well that was because the amp I had was just in no way suitable for the headphones . It reading in this post and the amps for headphones that I learned what I really needed. I have not tried any mods as I just to not have to do so or care really. If I had someone near maybe just to hear, but no big deal. Over this weekend I want to make time to do a head to head with the stax009. And the HE6. Again. And I will post my thoughts .

Al

Exciting weekend ahead of you! Enjoy 
beerchug.gif

+1

His itinerary and gears make me wanna fly out to meet over piano jazz and pizza! 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #11,498 of 21,868
I have the HE-500 on loan from a friend of mine. I am so blown away at how much better it sounds compared to my HD800 (more body, richer, smoother, more coherent, even response, nothing standing out from the rest of the spectrum, everything just sounds more natural) that I just ordered the HE-6. If it sounds even better than the HE-500 through adequate amplification then I will be in heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

To me, the difference between HE-500 and HD-800 is a lot more significant than between HE-6 and HD-800.  Compared to the 500, the 6 is to my ears significantly more transparant, open and less dark sounding, with bass that's a bit tighter.  The treble is better on the 6 but can approach harshness though and the mids (especially vocals) are not a bit forward such as with the 500.  This last quality, btw, is what makes me like the 500 so much.  I think you'll be an instant convert after receiving them, just remember to power them correctly and give them a proper burn in.  The 'manual' that comes with them suggests a minimum of 150 hours.  That's a bit rich imo but they do need at least 50 hours to really settle in so reserve judgment until you're there.

All 3 are very good headphones, each with its specific strong points.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #11,499 of 21,868
If it sounds even better than the HE-500 through adequate amplification then I will be in heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats! Would like to hear your impressions with the CR-2020. Must be one of the sexiest receivers out there
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #11,500 of 21,868
The Headroom suggests 500 hours will get you there (the taming of treble). Whatever it takes, I have never been on such a roller coaster with cans before in my few years of head-fi! 
normal_smile .gif
 The HE-6 is quite the character...

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #11,501 of 21,868
Great to see some music recommendations here! I will check those out later...

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #11,502 of 21,868
I can Recomend the following
First anything that is simple music
Will always sound much better whether
A male or female singing with a guitar and bass or just
A drum.
Bit there is greatest vocals of all time.
Sacd. It is the best vocals I ever heard.

I have it ripped to DSD. It is very good to enjoy
A new headphone with.
There is a track on there from hames Taylor
He whistles and sings with the guitar.
The man is in your listening area with you
as I have few ref rbcd and sacd s but this sacd
Is not a reference it will sound great on any system

Al

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #11,503 of 21,868
I have the HE-500 on loan from a friend of mine. I am so blown away at how much better it sounds compared to my HD800 (more body, richer, smoother, more coherent, even response, nothing standing out from the rest of the spectrum, everything just sounds more natural) that I just ordered the HE-6. If it sounds even better than the HE-500 through adequate amplification then I will be in heaven :)

Congrats on your purchase! Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you're set on amplification.

I can Recomend the following
First anything that is simple music
Will always sound much better whether
A male or female singing with a guitar and bass or just
A drum.
Bit there is greatest vocals of all time.
Sacd. It is the best vocals I ever heard.

I have it ripped to DSD. It is very good to enjoy
A new headphone with.
There is a track on there from hames Taylor
He whistles and sings with the guitar.
The man is in your listening area with you
as I have few ref rbcd and sacd s but this sacd
Is not a reference it will sound great on any system

Al

Cheers!

Couple of tracks from me:

46&2 by Tool, the intro is a master class in recording drums (one of the tracks I use as a reference for imaging). Just listen to all those splash cymbals!

You Learn by Alanis Morissette, just sounds so lush and inviting. I was really surprised listening to this.

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The intro guitar solo is just wonderfully tactile, you really get a feel, or sense of his fingers on the strings. Also, before the solo you hear Dave Gilmour cough and take a few breaths to steady himself before the solo - really gives me a sense of being if the room with him. The story goes that hearing that cough on the albums final master is what made him give up smoking, not sure if it's true or not, but it's a good story.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #11,504 of 21,868
Who knew spending so much money on the HE-6 is actually going to save money? This is the first time I have don't feel like buying headphones. I may even be done with this hobby for a long long while. Feels good.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #11,505 of 21,868
I do not have tool but will look for it
I have that album sacd version
It's really good. And it proves the point of simple is better
Like some of Stelle Dan Asia music.

But the vocals are chilling.
If need be I can upload the file to my drop box
In DSD format. And send you a pm with the link

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back