HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 22, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #11,461 of 21,873
Depends on said collection and more importantly personal taste, if one prefer the Hd800 to the He-6, it'll sound better on most materials he/she owns than the He-6, and vice versa 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #11,462 of 21,873
Among current new HE-6 owners, I'm almost certain I had the longest bout of indecision. Whew... glad that's over,
tongue_smile.gif
we're jammin'!

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #11,463 of 21,873
Lojay. If you own the wa 5. Go for HE6. It pairs better with the amp you have. I am not telling you to spend your money. But when you are ready for some diversity in your headphones that is the direction you should go in.

Al

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #11,465 of 21,873
It was a long courtship before finally slipping under the spell of the HE-6.

Yeah it took me a second time around to realize my foolishness of constantly changing things, only to realize I had found the finish line earlier! However, it was with an amp that didn't do them justice, but I always knew it had great potential. Glad I returned with an excellent amp ready for them :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #11,466 of 21,873
There is a member on here named david mayor or something like that. He did a long listed headphone can review.

He is the reason I bought the cans I have . I just went by his top 5 cans. And the amps he used. Now since then I know his choices are correct as well as the people on here that I have learned to trust as well. The point. Is Anyone here that just goes by reading better be ware of people spreading un true statements. And we all have fallen prey to that as I know I have too. But the people here like brunk who have bought and sold many items on his own to just see for them selves. Well this type is a true headphone supremis. Not just someone who post a lot. Like me hahahaha.

Al

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #11,467 of 21,873
There is a member on here named david mayor or something like that. He did a long listed headphone can review.

He is the reason I bought the cans I have . I just went by his top 5 cans. And the amps he used. Now since then I know his choices are correct as well as the people on here that I have learned to trust as well. The point. Is Anyone here that just goes by reading better be ware of people spreading un true statements. And we all have fallen prey to that as I know I have too. But the people here like brunk who have bought and sold many items on his own to just see for them selves. Well this type is a true headphone supremis. Not just someone who post a lot. Like me hahahaha.

Al
I believe his name was David Mahler, thread titled "battle of the flagships" or something similar to that.

And yes, it can be challenging with one person saying this and another saying that. In the end, that person has to just try it or hear it for themselves. Even if someone is well knowledged and/or has the ability to describe the sound of something, new-comer 'x' could hear it completely different, not in the way it was described by so-and-so.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #11,468 of 21,873
David Mahler it is indeed and imo he did a monumental job with his headphone list.  I actually purchased my first cans (since sold) based on his ranking (DT-880's).  In retrospect and considering the headphones I heard since I broadly agree with his ranking but that being said, I think it's mainly a useful instrument to pare down the options you want to audition.  In the end a lot if not all depends on individual preference, the music genre you listen to (although he does differentiate according to genre), the source you'll use (he has some excellent but exceedingly expensive source components) and other intangibles + not in the least, your finances.  His ears and taste may not correspond to what you like and I'd never just blindly purchase his top 5.  Part of the pleasure in owning good gear is -at least to me- the journey in getting there, reading, doing research, auditioning....

Contrary I'd rank the HE-6 over the HD-800 (both of which I own) though, both in absolute terms and certainly in price/quality.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #11,469 of 21,873
Great post. It's just so gosh darn efficient when someone else states your own position so well.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #11,470 of 21,873
Originally Posted by khaine1711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea,  2 a.m. in the morning, a big kettle of tea and hitting the play button on Verisakeet 
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

I think Moonsorrow is really easy to get into, even for non-metalhead. Their music just flows effortlessly (well except that last album)

Just think how wild this thread would be if some of us lived closer together. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11,472 of 21,873

My mods have not changed the flavor of the HE-6, they have simply enhanced them.

+1!

I want the thread to know that my HE-6 are now officially off the clock! Seriously, when I swapped in the Lawton Audio pads, I placed the cans on the clock and at the front door. The new pads brought about a reduction in Bass and SLAM was outright hijacked. 
mad.gif

Thanks to ohhgourami's involvement, the cans earned a brief stay until I could execute the mods. A couple of nights ago I removed the cotton from behind the mesh....

.... WOWZA! 

Yes, the signature needs refining a bit and the felt will provide this when I get it installed. But on this first step alone, the sound stage was kicked wide open. In fact, on a few recordings, the stage was so open and so deep I nearly walked outside a few doors down
tongue_smile.gif
 to investigate! Moreover, the Bass returned.... ALL of it! Along with SLAM. 

Well, I guess now I can return to enjoying familiar fare along with buying new music. 
wink.gif

Update :   :  New session underway; HE-6 @ 385 hours and emerging....

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #11,474 of 21,873
I just hooked up an HE-6 to an integrated amp through the speaker taps and I'm completely blown away. I've always thought that it would be impossible for me to like anything more than the HD800 but I was wrong. The HE-6 is something special when powered properly. Wow is all I can say.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #11,475 of 21,873
I'm lovin' all the HE-6 praise vs. the HD-800, I can certainly agree!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back