HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #10,937 of 21,868
  Here is the link to where I got the info:  I love the way how they describe the F1.  After Nelson Pass upgraded my F1 to the F1J he told me it's now at an even higher level than what the F1 is describe to be.

I never got to listen to the F1 so I can't comment.  However, the description of the F1 is exactly how I hear the F1J.  Lost of people say the GS-X mk2 is the King of transparency.  I had both side by side and the F1J beat it hands down in that department.

http://www.firstwatt.com/f4.html

So, what does the "J" represent, how does it differ?

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #10,939 of 21,868
Silent one , if you are neer ohhgaromi go listen to his amp the krell. I have it and it is stellar in sound . I tried a few headphones. The hd800 , he6 and lcd3, s. All great and I was surprised of the HD800. In fact I like the hd800 better with the krell than with the HDVD800. Now that is shocking to me . The only amp I think does it better with the hd800 is the woo wa22. .

Al. D

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #10,942 of 21,868
Silent one , if you are neer ohhgaromi go listen to his amp the krell. I have it and it is stellar in sound . I tried a few headphones. The hd800 , he6 and lcd3, s. All great and I was surprised of the HD800. In fact I like the hd800 better with the krell than with the HDVD800. Now that is shocking to me . The only amp I think does it better with the hd800 is the woo wa22. .

Al. D

How does it compare to the M9?

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #10,944 of 21,868
I do not have the M9 , I have the M8 .

Al. D

Ok, so how does it compare to the M8? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #10,945 of 21,868
LOL. Some how I knew that question was coming. The M8 is a great amp too and given it is a preamp too , it's tops a swell. Now for listening tests . With the HE6 it is on par with the KRELL , there is a difference but going back and forth it is hard to put it in words . The sound staging is the same but as the music sounds the same the acoustics of the studio sound a little different . Example is the room has a brighter echo with the krell. I men it is close . Now with the hd800 I still prefer the woo. It could be the tubes just takes the edge a little to make it sweeter.
The LCD,s sound about the same with all three of these amps as I think since they do not have a lot of air to it . I feel this makes them sound the same with all. If you are looking for an amp and want a real speaker amp for speakers too. Then the choice is clear the krell. If you really want just a headphone amp but will use the HE6 then the M8 or M9 is the one. As I have not heard the M9 I did do some emails with him on it and it is very close to the M8 in sound quality.

Hope this helps .

Al. D

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #10,947 of 21,868

Al. D

Yes, I'm somewhat near ohhgourami. And yes, I'm looking forward to hearing his Krell do work with the HE-6. Though, my own HE-6 isn't left wanting inside the listening room. The current serving of glass & chips (tubes and solid-state) has proved satisfying (Shindo Lab Tube Pre-Amp; Shindo Lab Tube mono blocks>HE6 or Sansui G-22000>HE-6).

The muffled screams and cries for help you hear is Lust being held against its will down in the basement. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #10,948 of 21,868
You should do a shoot out with the amps. It would be a cool thread to read and people are always asking for direct comparisons . And you people have a really cool collection of odd and hi end speaker amps . We all could by a ready made hi power headphone Amp. But this thread is about not going that rout but going against the grain so to speak .

Al

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #10,950 of 21,868
great. i think my HE-6 just had a driver failure. how good is hifiman with warranty? (since i don't have a receipt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back