HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #10,921 of 21,868

It's an on-going journey to find the beast that can tame the beast. 
biggrin.gif

But my wallet don't grow bigger during that journey.
When am I going to retire with all this going on? I'm 25, but still 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #10,924 of 21,868
I had the JOB on my radar ever since I read the review on 6moons.

It apparently has a similar approach in sound to the Bakoon (crystal clear but thin) so it might work best with the Audeze (which honestly don't need all that power. A CMA800r would probably be even better), but who knows? The HE-6 is a surprising beast.

I have the Audeze Vegan pads on my way, btw.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #10,925 of 21,868
As others have said, you really can't go wrong with a First Watt amp. Plus, you have many options to acquire one. You can build one yourself, have someone build one for you, or buy one on the used market. There are many different flavors too. For a headphone amp under $1k, well I don't know lol as I've had many in that range and they just don't cut it.

If one is looking for transportable amps, a T amp is a great solution. They are the size of a small paperback, and can be run off batteries. Plus, they are inexpensive. If one is looking for a truly worthy portable solution, I think you may have to go into the DIY world. The HM-901 with balanced card still doesn't do it justice.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #10,926 of 21,868
  As others have said, you really can't go wrong with a First Watt amp. Plus, you have many options to acquire one. You can build one yourself, have someone build one for you, or buy one on the used market. There are many different flavors too. For a headphone amp under $1k, well I don't know lol as I've had many in that range and they just don't cut it.

If one is looking for transportable amps, a T amp is a great solution. They are the size of a small paperback, and can be run off batteries. Plus, they are inexpensive. If one is looking for a truly worthy portable solution, I think you may have to go into the DIY world. The HM-901 with balanced card still doesn't do it justice.

The F3 apparently has a sound similar to the 300B SET amps. I never heard one but it apparently has a very special sound to it.

I remember someone posted the differences between all the First Watt amps - here, on head-fi - but I cannot lay my hand on it. It was very informative to put all the amps into perspective.

Can you refer me to someone who can build the F5?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #10,928 of 21,868

The F3 apparently has a sound similar to the 300B SET amps. I never heard one but it apparently has a very special sound to it.

I remember someone posted the differences between all the First Watt amps - here, on head-fi - but I cannot lay my hand on it. It was very informative to put all the amps into perspective.

I remember that post! I think it was Darryl, tbh. Ask him, he might have copy pasted. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #10,929 of 21,868

There are a numbering 6 moons reviews including comparisons of the different amps.

I got this from Reno hifi when I was shopping if it helps

Thanks for your interest in First Watt amplifiers and all the good information. I'll be happy to help you.

Certainly either the F3 or M2 would be good choices for your headphones-- it is, just as you say, a matter of taste as to which amp would be the more pleasing. There is a very large difference in sound between the F3 and the M2.

The F3 is very accurate top-to-bottom, clean, clear, pure, detailed, smooth, cohesive, a touch warm, not edgy, and not fatiguing even though it is well-detailed and controlled.

The M2 is quite warm, seductive, emotionally-connected, images beautifully, smooth and slightly rolled-off top-end, a bit laid-back, tube-like bass that round and warm (without super-tight control), and is totally non-fatiguing.

And this

The J2 is exactly what I think you're thinking. The J2 is Very Forward,
fast, bright, lots of top-end, lots of bottom-end, images fantastically,
second-order-harmonic, can sound thin when compared to an amp like the M2,
extremely revealing and therefore unforgiving; it's a very exciting and
dynamic sound.

Mark atReno hifi is a great resource

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #10,930 of 21,868
Just to add, have heard the he-6 on five pretty different speaker amps and I think it pretty well reveals the amp. If it sounds warm and rich on speakers it will sound that way on the he-6. Fast and transparent will be fast and transparent. So even if you do not have the headphones you can listen to different amps at shops or at friends and see what you like

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #10,931 of 21,868

Darryl (preproman) and I have copy/pasted and described the sound from our own experiences of the First Watt amps. The F3 has a rich 2nd harmonic, making it a bit warm and sweet. The F5 on the other hand is an unforgiving monster lol. It is extremely revealing of upstream gear, but you are greatly rewarded for having a high quality chain. Literally every aspect of sound is incredible off the F5, with it's most amazing traits being detail retrieval, separation of notes, and incredible bass. The only thing i am not crazy about is that it takes about 20-30 minutes to fully warm up and give its best.

I can build the F5 for you if you wish. The only caveat would be that i cant promise delivery until sometime around the first week of February because of parts/boards on back order currently.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #10,932 of 21,868
Those M amps are speaker amps in a headphone wrapping?

What separates a speaker amp from a headphone amp?

Current delivery at low impedance.
The Audio-gd Master 6 / - 8 / - 9 won't drive a speaker (8 Ohm or less impedance).

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #10,933 of 21,868
I do not think he ment a real speaker amp. I think what he ment is they are power full headphone amps .

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #10,934 of 21,868

Darryl (preproman) and I have copy/pasted and described the sound from our own experiences of the First Watt amps. The F3 has a rich 2nd harmonic, making it a bit warm and sweet. The F5 on the other hand is an unforgiving monster lol. It is extremely revealing of upstream gear, but you are greatly rewarded for having a high quality chain. Literally every aspect of sound is incredible off the F5, with it's most amazing traits being detail retrieval, separation of notes, and incredible bass. The only thing i am not crazy about is that it takes about 20-30 minutes to fully warm up and give its best.

I can build the F5 for you if you wish. The only caveat would be that i cant promise delivery until sometime around the first week of February because of parts/boards on back order currently.

20 to 30 minutes to fully warm up... is that all? 
smiley_thumb.gif
 I do 2 hour warm ups at minimum like it's lunch! Or dinner 
ksc75smile.gif
 if you prefer. But then, I tend to reserve my sessions, so maybe it's a simple thing for me. When I sit, I only want the creme, baby!

So, if one wants to make their HE-6 both sing and swing, it's generally the F5, yeah? Hmmm, gotta review our PMs and see how much this adventure will cost me again @ ur hand! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #10,935 of 21,868
Here is the link to where I got the info:  I love the way how they describe the F1.  After Nelson Pass upgraded my F1 to the F1J he told me it's now at an even higher level than what the F1 is describe to be.

I never got to listen to the F1 so I can't comment.  However, the description of the F1 is exactly how I hear the F1J.  Lost of people say the GS-X mk2 is the King of transparency.  I had both side by side and the F1J beat it hands down in that department.

http://www.firstwatt.com/f4.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back