HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #9,362 of 21,868
I'm glad this thread came back to life! DG, welcome to the club. Safe to say, the HE-6 is a nice headphone to stop you in your tracks (amplifiers aside, of course. :D ).

I was wondering; has anyone tried using hardware EQ with the HE-6? Something like a Behringer Ultragraph EQ. I know that the HE-6 can be quite a chameleon, so it would naturally pique my curiosity as to how much you can play around with its sound with hardware EQ.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #9,364 of 21,868
  I'm glad this thread came back to life! DG, welcome to the club. Safe to say, the HE-6 is a nice headphone to stop you in your tracks (amplifiers aside, of course. :D ).

I was wondering; has anyone tried using hardware EQ with the HE-6? Something like a Behringer Ultragraph EQ. I know that the HE-6 can be quite a chameleon, so it would naturally pique my curiosity as to how much you can play around with its sound with hardware EQ.

I've only played with Tone Control on vintage stuff. Loudness button on my Kenwood Ka-9100 for example, turns the He-6 into a Lcd-2 with more clarity 
cool.gif
. Bass boost is slightly interesting too, never tried the treble knob though =p. There's also high pass filter and other intriguing stuff - lots of knobs to turn!

Why not stick with a high quality software EQ however?

Does tubes count as hardware EQ? 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #9,365 of 21,868
I continue to enjoy the enthusiasm in this thread. HE-6 owners in pursuit of amp pairings remind me a lot of amusement park goers @ Six Flaggs... 
tongue_smile.gif
"Let's see what this ride can do!"

My on again-off again-on again-off again-on again relationship with the cans...
blink.gif
wait, what's my status
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
again?! Well, I did formally order it 5 weeks ago but cancelled days later. I think this autumn sees the purchase revived.

With Egg Nog Season kicking off Halloween weekend, the HiFiMan's are in a race to see what hits my listening room first: an old-fashion bottle of farm fresh Egg Nog or the HE-6?

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #9,366 of 21,868

I'm using  diy pigtail along with resistors wired in series via the 8ohm speaker taps.

Thanks for the info. 

Now that I re-read your post about the vsi60->he-6 I am not sure if you own the Audio Research or you just listened to it? I am curious about the resistor values for the adapter in the vsi60 as people are normally using 10 ohm parallel resistors or those combined with series resistors.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #9,367 of 21,868
i would love to try out a speaker amp in the future, i'll certainly remember some of these options. i personally am looking at that mcintosh amp, but if you say theres other options similar or even cheaper, i'd love to try them out in the future.

i can hear that the HE-6 certainly can scale higher, sounds like i can get more out of them still with more power. but at the same time, the GSX MK2 is certainly something i can live with. sounds fantastic.

maybe one day that VSi60 and a speaker rig would be a possibility. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #9,368 of 21,868
  I continue to enjoy the enthusiasm in this thread. HE-6 owners in pursuit of amp pairings remind me a lot of amusement park goers @ Six Flaggs... 
tongue_smile.gif
"Let's see what this ride can do!"

My on again-off again-on again-off again-on again relationship with the cans...
blink.gif
wait, what's my status
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
again?! Well, I did formally order it 5 weeks ago but cancelled days later. I think this autumn sees the purchase revived.

With Egg Nog Season kicking off Halloween weekend, the HiFiMan's are in a race to see what hits my listening room first: an old-fashion bottle of farm fresh Egg Nog or the HE-6?

did everything come together for you with your rig or are you still waiting on a few pieces? 

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #9,370 of 21,868
I believe my Shindo Silver Interconnects arrived from Tokyo last week, the final piece. Now everything awaits my pick-up! Shindo Pre; Shindo monoblocks; Shindo power conditioner and more
tongue_smile.gif
kool-aid. First, my audio consultant has a new studio in Hollywood (Pitch Perfect Audio) and the Grand Opening will be any day now (2nd half of September). So, I'm gonna go hear the flagship Shindo gears, as well as my own inside his studio. 

Now, if only moodyrn or preproman had me setup with the HE-6, completely dolled-up with pigtails, resistors and hardwired, 
evil_smiley.gif
I'd march into this boutique and that and have a real good listen!

Not all is Peaches & Cream...

...last night, Jack Wu sent me an apology explaining his original 30 day shipping estimate was off for the Stax SR-009, due to heavy back-orders from Stax-Japan. And may potentially be another moon that will come and go. Could be sooner but it's out of WooAudio's hands and in the hands of Stax.

Now it's week five for the '009'and I'm looking to sell a few things next couple of weeks and perhaps, bring home a HE-6. If not for both Tokyo shipments, I could have been jammin' by now! 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #9,371 of 21,868
question, what do people here think about HE-6 with pleathers vs. velours? 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #9,374 of 21,868

Thanks for the info. 

Now that I re-read your post about the vsi60->he-6 I am not sure if you own the Audio Research or you just listened to it? I am curious about the resistor values for the adapter in the vsi60 as people are normally using 10 ohm parallel resistors or those combined with series resistors.

Yes, i only listened to the vsi60 pairing which is I also posted about one of my my current amps(fisher 500c) giving me everything I heard out of the vsi60. The only noticeable difference between the two is the vsi60 is a little warm while the fisher 500c is completely neutral with all of the other sound characteristics the vsi60 have. As for resistors, they are only needed for transformer coupled tube amps, and 10ohm is what you would use if using 8ohm speaker taps. Also make sure they are non inductive as well. This is to protect the output transformers and give them the load they need to see. Otherwise you may fry them. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #9,375 of 21,868
  Velour. Stock pleather seems to have slightly better bass impact at the expense of clarity for me.

You can try the Lcd3 pad on the He-6 too =p

ill try velour later tonight, but seems like at first listen i preferred the pleathers, smoother treble and better bass, and this gives them a similar sound to HE-500 with pleathers, but better overall. and the sound is very good for electronic music and works well with alot of other stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back