HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 23, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #17,176 of 21,868

Yep, I can't wait to hear it. The WA5 has piqued my interest after the audition at Addicted to Audio in February, will be good to hear it again, particularly tricked out with some nice tubes.

I'm still getting my head around how good that tube combination is with the modded HE6. Only got the C3G issue sorted this evening, so it is very new to me too.

The C3G is a better driver that anything else I have heard, or heard of, TS RP included. Crazy good. They seem to give the Takatsukis the room to do what they do best - and that is pretty awesome. Only downside is that the setup is now so transparent that any of my tracks that aren't quite up to it recording quality wise get found out in the first 3 seconds of the track. Sticks out like dog's testicles, but when the recording is up to it the result is pantywetting good.

Just playing Hallelujah by K.D.Lang - killer vocals. Enough to make my knees buckle (good thing I am sitting down)
etysmile.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #17,179 of 21,868

Is this the Vancouver performance for the Olympics?

Do you have an actual recording of her performing it or are you YouTubeing it?

iTunes purchase. It is a studio track - not live.

Very, very good recording. Plays wonderfully well via the Vega / WA5.

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #17,180 of 21,868
Aug 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #17,183 of 21,868
The 15w speaker outputs of Leben CS300XS area enough to drive the HE-6 fine?

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #17,184 of 21,868

Plenty and should sound pretty darn good!!!

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #17,185 of 21,868
You'll have to listen with no fuzzor because you get more resolution and clarity without it. But you also get reflections which is solved by felting the pad instead.

thanks @ohhgourami -- I just did the vegan backside felting, not realizing that it's pleather underneath. Wanting to keep the protective liner, I just cut a felt donut and slipped it underneath the pad.

There is much less edginess from the reflections. This should be a requirement with the pads. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #17,186 of 21,868
thanks @ohhgourami
 -- I just did the vegan backside felting, not realizing that it's pleather underneath. Wanting to keep the protective liner, I just cut a felt donut and slipped it underneath the pad.

There is much less edginess from the reflections. This should be a requirement with the pads. 

YES! Someone knows what I'm talking about!

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #17,188 of 21,868

I had the CS300 (12W). It had enough power through the speaker tabs, but I got audible noise. From the headphone output there was no noise, but less power. Either way the bass was not as tight as any of the solid state amps I have heard HE-6 with. The mids and treble was lovely though: For soft acoustic music it was pure bliss, but not for music where hard hitting bass is important.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #17,189 of 21,868
  Either way the bass was not as tight as any of the solid state amps I have heard HE-6 with. The mids and treble was lovely though: For soft acoustic music it was pure bliss, but not for music where hard hitting bass is important.

I know you cannot generalize & it will differ from amp to amp but the above mirrors my experience while driving the HE 6 from Tube & SS speaker amps.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #17,190 of 21,868
  I know you cannot generalize & it will differ from amp to amp but the above mirrors my experience while driving the HE 6 from Tube & SS speaker amps.

Deep + tight bass is hard for tubes to do on the HE6, but it is possible. Takes a high end tube amp with high end glass.

My WA5 running Taks and C3G drivers delivers excellent bass on my modded HE6 - almost, but not quite, as good as my 430HA. I know that gear is getting out to the crazed obsession end of the HeadFi hobby spectrum - I'm not saying it is easy (or cheap) to do, just possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back